Tacoma Puyallup First time Jeep Trip? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Tacoma Puyallup First time Jeep Trip?

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-03-2008, 01:37 AM   #1
locohosa
1984 CJ7 

Tacoma Puyallup First time Jeep Trip?

Let me start by saying I am very squeamish about breaking my new toy, and I really dont think I can handle a large dent yet either.

Any one somewhere I can go get mud on, without huge risk of destroying anything expensive?

Im 4wd retarded, I have never even ridden shotgun when someone else was 4 wheeling!

EDIT: Oh yes, and Im driving a stock 88 XJ, with the straight six, and some all terrain tires.

locohosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2008, 04:08 AM   #2
mylittlecj5
1974 CJ5 

go out hiway 8 west south of Olympia to straddleline ORV park. good mud holes there.

http://www.straddlelineraceway.com/
Default Jeepers Club #10
mylittlecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
locohosa
1984 CJ7 

Puyallup washinton, near graham.
Unread 11-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
deltabravo

well.... there's only a few weeks left of being able to run places like Naches or Evans Creek before the snows hit, but neither place is really all that suitable for a totally stock rig. Naches is a bit more "stock rig" friendly than Evans Creek.

check out http://www.nwjeepn.com/

whatever you do, don't go alone, and go with some one familiar with the area
deltabravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Evan's Creek ORV park is probably a little over your head due to tight trails and the "possibility" of body damage.

I haven't been down to Straddleline for ages.

Tahuya ORV park would probably be my suggestion. I find it really boring now but it's a good place to go to get your feet wet. Speaking of which, watch the deep puddles.

There are also trails in Eastern WA at Liberty and a few in the Manastash Ridge area, plus the Naches Pass Trail that would be fine. In fact, many moons ago I ran the Naches Pass trail in my old stock XJ on bald street tires. It handled it great. But that trail is going to close for the season in mid-Nov.

The site nwjeepn.com has tons of great 4x4 trails listed around the state. And their difficulty ratings I think take into account stock vs. modified rigs and trail conditions. They rate things on the conservative side.

Also, I'd recommend you NOT go alone. Bad idea. Team up with another rig. Many of the guys on the board here head out pretty frequently.
Unread 11-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
locohosa
1984 CJ7 

Thanks everyone, I am thinking Tahuya would likely be my best bet, been out there a few times on the dirt bikes.

Ill check out the other site and start looking for someone who wants to come with.

Thanks
Unread 11-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
deltabravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post

Tahuya ORV park would probably be my suggestion...... Speaking of which, watch the deep puddles.
they can and DO become lakes, and are VERY deep and could swallow you up/
deltabravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
locohosa
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabravo View Post
they can and DO become lakes, and are VERY deep and could swallow you up/
I remember a friend of mine loosing a dirt bike in one of the jeep puddles, all you could see was the handle bars!

Luckily for him one of the guys with a jeep had some oil with him, so once we drained the milkshake from his crankcase he was ready to go again.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.