Stubby Bumper Anyone Pulled Over for This - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Stubby Bumper Anyone Pulled Over for This

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 06-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
babysvt
2014 JK Wrangler 

Stubby Bumper Anyone Pulled Over for This

Please forgive me if this was covered. I have been searching for answers but find alot more on mud flaps then the stubby bumper. I have read the RCW, which I found the link to in another post, and am assuming the stubby bumper is not legal in the state of WA due to the following info:

Bumpers, unless specifically exempted above, must:

(a) Be at least four and one-half inches in vertical height.

(b) Be centered on the vehicle's centerline.

(c) Extend no less than the width of the respective wheel track distances.

(d) Be attached to the vehicle in a manner equivalent to the original manufacturer's installation.

(e) Be horizontal load bearing and attach to the vehicle frame to effectively transfer energy when impacted.

All look good for a stubby except (C). Anyone actually been pulled over for this? I really, really like the look of the stubby bumper and also think it would be more beneficial for off-road driving. However, I also daily drive my Jeep.

2014 "Copperhead" Rubicon Unlimited
"Silly Boys Jeeps Are For Girls"
babysvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
bondosgto
2006 LJ Wrangler 

IF you get pulled over for that, throw the stocker on, take a pic, then go to court and pay the fixit ticket. BUT, I think there is alaw on the books about maxium height from the road to botton of bumper is 24 inches, its been a few years but I did read that some where. If a cop pulls you over for that he is just trying to get his number of "interactions" up for the end of the month/quarter.
bondosgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:07 AM   #3
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I've never heard of anyone being pulled over for it, even though it's in the books that way. Just another one of those cop discretion things; 99 might not care but there's always the one guy that will spot it from 1/4 mile away in his rear-view and nail you for it despite everyone around you doing 20 over the limit in their 10' high bro-dozers. Doesn't even make any sense since this is the time of year when there's tons of classic cars on the roads with drum brakes all around, no seat belts and little to no bumpers -- legally -- just because they're grandfathered in.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
babysvt
2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the input. I actually ran into a guy who I used to see at the car shows here and he is also a cop. He said that is what is states in the RCW but that I should be fine. Must not be something that they are too concerned with.

2014 "Copperhead" Rubicon Unlimited
"Silly Boys Jeeps Are For Girls"
babysvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
BigWhis
2011 JK Wrangler 

Huh.. great info! Thanks for sharing. I've been wanting to put a stubby on mine for a while

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.