Storage/garage space in Seattle..? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Storage/garage space in Seattle..?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
Sclay115
1996 ZJ 

Storage/garage space in Seattle..?

Could possibly be relocating to the Seattle area in the near future, for reference, the zip code would be 98103. Wanted to see if I could ask you guys a few questions.

Now, I'm not sure how many of you folks are around this area, it looks essentially to me like it would be considered inside the actual city, and with that in mind, the next question might be a bit far fetched. What is the possibility of locating garage space, or a storage facility that would allow me to work on the Jeep or anything else I end up with?

I do not pay people to do my work for me, so my biggest fear is not having a location to pull something apart if I need to. I don't think the housing arrangement has an onsite garage, so I wanted to get an idea of what other folks do, in a city scape, for working on their vehicles...

Steve

Sclay115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I had to rent a garage space in the U District. It was $150/mo for a 1-car garage with a single light bulb and otherwise no outlets. The access was difficult to get to and parking scarce. The distance from home was only about 10 miles, but it was difficult with traffic, and now the bridge I formerly used has tolls (not an issue 5 years ago though). This basically made it into a car-sized storage facility, I couldn't really do any work there and I certainly wouldn't keep my tools there. It was actually really hard to find a rental garage, that was the best I came up with. Some of the self-storage places offer car storage, but its even more expensive and more prohibitive for doing work.

Most apartments and condos won't allow you to work on your vehicle in the parking area, even washing your own car is frowned upon in some places. Your best bet is to either get a place with a garage or make some friends who can help you out. I've found there's no shortage of helpful Jeep owners and I try to return the favor. I've helped a few folks on JF who needed a place to work by loaning my garage space and tools, and among my group of friends we frequently have "car days" where like 6-8 people show up, hang out, and 2 or 3 people knock out projects they can't do on their own or in their housing complex.

So all is not lost, but rental storage is a pretty poor option for a car enthusiast, in my experience.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yup, that zip is within Seattle but it's more of a residential area over all with some "urban village" low-rise commerical space around parts of Greenlake, Down in Freemont, and along the major N-S aterials, including Hwy 99's commercial strip.

Any thoughts on finding another place to live? The norther part of Seattle, Shoreline, Lake City Way and such are "newer" parts of the city so lots are a little larger and parking / garage space more reasonably available. And it's not that far from the 98103 zip code.

We live up in Kenmore. Average lots are around twice the size of Seattle lots and houses have "normal" sized garages. Travel time into Seattle isn't too bad. Usually maybe 35 min to downtown where I work. Which is only about an extra 15 min vs. fighting through cross-town surface streets.

Anyways. . .

Look at your bottom line: Where you live + cost to rent garage vs. renting house with a garage

Oh, and if you really need working space then an appartment might be out for you if they don't allow you to work on your own vehicles.
Unread 04-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
Sclay115
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the replies you two.

At this point, there is not much of an option to find another place. For reasons I won't bore you with here, I am eager to leave this area, very eager, and now with no ties to my current location, no better time than now. The location in question is an apartment leased by my sister, who has graciously invited me to use it as a jump point for wherever my adventure leads me next.

I can't believe the prices of storage facilities there! I suppose that goes with the cityscape environment. A simple 10x10 unit is at least twice the price of the same unit down here.

The best bet would be to find a garage to rent it seams, but at this point, I am not even sure if I would be bringing my tools, they may stay in this area, in storage to cut down on items to move in the event I relocate in a short amount of time to another location.

I've never personally lived in a "city" proper, so it would be a huge change for sure. Ideally, I would be able to ride the bicycle to wherever I need to go, but I would still like to be able to do repairs and maintenance on the ZJ if I need to.

Steve
Sclay115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Storage units are a losing proposition anyway. I rented a 5x10 for a year. $864. That was considerably more than the value of the things I was storing. I would have been better off selling everything and buying it again when I needed it.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.