Spokane Jeep Meet & Greet - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Spokane Jeep Meet & Greet

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Reply
Unread 12-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #76
paulp575
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 226
Jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkproximity View Post
the reason I bring all this up is because now is the time to relish in what we have.. because in due time it will be gone. The hippies will keep winning and nothing we do will stop that.
There is something we can do - keep fighting them. The reason we are loosing is because we are not organized. I've had land managers tell me they want to see organized support. That goes a lot further than just individual support. Do you belong to any groups that support off-roading? If not, now is the time to get involved. If you let others do it, it won't get done! And we will keep loosing. (See my signature for organizations that are in the fight to keep OHV users from loosing ground) If you want to meet in person some time I can explain all this in more details.

You may call them hippies; I call them environmentalists. However, we OHV lovers are slowly winning the battle. I am always in the battle for OHV users and recently found a document that will blow the environmentalists view that wilderness brings in dollars is nothing more than a smoke screen. It uses factual data to support the view that wilderness does not bering in dollars. And in this economy, that's not what the politicians and local communities want to hear.

I totally agree with your thought on the diminishing availability of good "out of the box" off-roader vehicles. I've been off-roading for over 40 years and it's not what it used to be. Too many "mall runners" and "soccer mom" SUVs.

When I arrived up here in 2004, I started looking around and decided I would need a 4x4. I had a 1999 Toyota Extra PreRunner. It was basically a beef-up 2WD truck which had a locker in the rear. I finally decided to buy a 2007 Wrangler. I was very concerned because I heard that D/C was going to totally revamp the Wranglers for model year 2007 and figured it would end up like the others - a mall runner. Fortunately they didn't do that. My 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is awesome in it's stock mode. I have subsequently upgraded the bumpers and earlier this year installed a 2.5-inch lift kit in preparation for upgrading the current 32-inch tires to 35x122.50x216 or 17 tires early next year.

I even had some hard core wheelers attempt to go up some hills in northern Idaho and they had a terrible time. When I attempted the hill, I just put it in 4LO, disengaged the front swaybar, engaged both lockers, and went up without any tire spin. When I came back down, one of them said "are you sure that's not been modified?". I told him it was 100% stock and only a couple of weeks old. He walked away shaking his head.

However, as you mentioned, because it is my daily driver, I can't afford to have anything major break and I don't have the place to make repairs (apartment living). Fortunately I can use the auto hobby shop at Fairchild (and have on many occasions to do the upgrades). There are some place I won't go because I know of the possible carnage and just don't care for that. And yes, it does have "NW pinstripping" on it as a lot of the trails in eastern WA and northern ID are narrow.

__________________
paulp575
--------
07 Rubicon Silver AT soft top
=====================
Spokane WA
=========
Member of:
North Idaho Trail Blazers (NITB): http://www.nitrailblazers.org/
Washington Off-Highway Vehicle Alliance: http://www.wohva.org
EA WA ATV Association: http://www.ewatv.org/
paulp575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #77
paulp575
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 226
Jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkproximity View Post
The area is opened to motorized travel.
If the area is opened to motorized travel, then yes, they can drive in it, but they still must stay on authorized trails. Cross-country travel is no longer allowed.
__________________
paulp575
--------
07 Rubicon Silver AT soft top
=====================
Spokane WA
=========
Member of:
North Idaho Trail Blazers (NITB): http://www.nitrailblazers.org/
Washington Off-Highway Vehicle Alliance: http://www.wohva.org
EA WA ATV Association: http://www.ewatv.org/
paulp575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #78
darkproximity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 14
If someone really wants to argue numbers they should look at how much money people spend on their vehicles to outfit them for offroading.. that would be some good tangable evidence right there.. kill offroading, kill businesses, kill spending.. aren't we trying to promote the economy?

As for these so called hard core wheelers.. what kind of setup are they running that they couldn't climb a hill? I would definitely not call a JK rubicon or any rubicon for that matter a hardcore wheeler.. something you buy from the mfg and throw a few bolt on parts at is not hardcore. In my opinion they did a half *** job on the rubicon.. and people eat it up thinking they are the alpha omega end all be all of offroading vehicles. They aren't, period. So im doubting these people were really hardcore wheelers, they might wheel a lot but im doubting they have much of a "hardcore" setup
darkproximity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #79
paulp575
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 226
Jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkproximity View Post
As for these so called hard core wheelers.. what kind of setup are they running that they couldn't climb a hill?
Some of them think the only way to do stuff is WOT. Obviously that's not always the solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkproximity View Post
I would definitely not call a JK rubicon or any rubicon for that matter a hardcore wheeler.. something you buy from the mfg and throw a few bolt on parts at is not hardcore.
I wouldn't call a stock Rubicon a hardcore wheeler, but the fact is it is very capable out of the box. And considering how many were purchased and actually do wheel, it is a very good vehicle for those in situation similar to mine - limited budget plus no places to make mods.

[quote=darkproximity;12646899]In my opinion they did a half *** job on the rubicon[/quote[]

I'm glad that's your opinion because you are in the minority on that opinion.
Not sure why you think they did a half *** job on them. They are very well set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkproximity View Post
So im doubting these people were really hardcore wheelers, they might wheel a lot but im doubting they have much of a "hardcore" setup
You need to look at my Photobucket Albums - especially the "private " albums to see how their wheelers are set up. With my 40-plus years of wheeling, some of those rigs are hard core set ups; some are not.
__________________
paulp575
--------
07 Rubicon Silver AT soft top
=====================
Spokane WA
=========
Member of:
North Idaho Trail Blazers (NITB): http://www.nitrailblazers.org/
Washington Off-Highway Vehicle Alliance: http://www.wohva.org
EA WA ATV Association: http://www.ewatv.org/
paulp575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #80
darkproximity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 14
Of course im in the minority on thinking that way.. because unlike many who want to believe and just accept they are behind the wheel of gods gift to man I actually research them enough to know why they aren't.. they market them as having dana 44s when in actuality they are just stock axles with d44 center sections.. so they have just as weak housings as d30 and 35s do.. they must have saved untold amounts of money ordering these subpar axles from dana instead of getting real 44s.. yet they are still allowed to market them as true d44s... im actually surprised dana allowed this to happen..

other than that they put in a 4:1 low range.. big deal.. that ratio is good for maybe rock crawling but other than that it will actually do worse offroad unless you already have really high gearing (numerically low), you lift and get much bigger tires without regearing.. in which case then you'll hate it whenever you aren't in 4l.. the only good part about the transfer case is it comes with a fixed yoke.. plus they have their lockers which i wouldnt even want.. then on top of all that you charge untold amounts more for this package and market it as the best thing to happen to the universe since the creation of man.. and people will pay for it.. in reality id rather buy a base model and pick my own axles and keep a 2.72:1 transfer case and save money..
darkproximity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #81
darkproximity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 14
Its safe to say you can spend a lot less on a base platform to build up.. have a more capable vehicle and come out spending less and knowing you built it yourself.. not some engineers who tried to make a one size fits all offroad vehicle to market to the masses..

Didn't you say you have base access? Sounds like a good place to do mods to me.
darkproximity is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.