Some Advice on where to go in WA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Some Advice on where to go in WA

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-29-2008, 12:25 AM   #1
smidgeon36
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Some Advice on where to go in WA

Okay, so my Dad's girlfriend's son is coming into town from Utah in a couple weeks. I want to take him out wheeling - just to prove we aren't a bunch of stuck-up city kids who don't know how to get out into the woods and have some fun.

I need a place to go though. Basically: I want an easy trail. If I can avoid getting stuck, that'd be awesome.

Also, if there's an easy trail with somewhere to camp near it, up it, around it... That'd do me a double favor. I want to take my boyfriend out wheeling (he complains because I've taken his ex-girlfriend and little brother but not him, hah) but, again, I'd like to avoid getting stuck, and I want to kind of make a weekend out of it. (We both have Fridays off.)

I'm willing to go anywhere in WA, preferably within 3 or so hours of Seattle, but, eh, I can drive.

I suppose in the end I want somewhere nice, that's an easy trail.

And for the record, I worked for 5 years in the Teanaway, I've taken plenty of trail rides up to Gallagher and am going up there in a couple weeks with my boyfriend's little brother (he's my best friend too. I have a complicated life.). So, something Fortune Creek level that isn't Fortune Creek is just what I want. (Fortune Creek's really the only place I've been, that's why I'm asking. It seems from reading through this board all the other trails might be a little too intense for my needs, but that may just be how they come off.)

And if anyone is interested in a children's horse/survival camp or a day/overnight pack trip (on horseback, with pack mules) around the Teanaway they should PM me.

I drive a [B]'98 Wrangler 4.0 L[/B]

I shoot a [B]20 guage CZ Mallard O/U[/B]

I'm soon to be co-founder of the [B]OSU Shotgun Club[/B]

[URL="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=277787484"]Ilana Harkavy Music[/URL]
This is one of my best friends who is trying to make it in the music industry. Any kind of support she can get is always appreciated. I listen to country and rock far more than techno, but I still like her stuff and I'm still incredibly proud of her.
smidgeon36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 02:44 AM   #2
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well, not sure if you're familiar with Naches Trail but we have a run planned on Aug 22,23,and 24th. Not real sure about the difficulty level either so you might email one of the guys and ask. Here's the link to the thread. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...541403&page=12

Not sure if you know where Greenwater is or not, but that will be about where we leave the main highway. I'd love to know more about the areas you mentioned.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
smidgeon36
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've been considering that Naches trip but I'm worried about making it up even the first hill. I should have a little more money thrown at my Jeep by then, but he's still pretty much stock, and I don't have a whole lot of experience. Which is why I'm looking for something easy.

I think I'm going to go ahead and put my name in for that trip, but Troy's in town the weekend before that, so it's not the answer to my problems. Thanks though =)

[URL="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=277787484"]Ilana Harkavy Music[/URL]
This is one of my best friends who is trying to make it in the music industry. Any kind of support she can get is always appreciated. I listen to country and rock far more than techno, but I still like her stuff and I'm still incredibly proud of her.
Unread 07-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

There's a bypass around that "1st climb".
http://nwjeepn.com/
Unread 07-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
redjeepguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddAndy View Post
There's a bypass around that "1st climb".
http://nwjeepn.com/
actually, go here rather than the link above and it takes you right to the naches page: http://www.nwjeepn.com/naches.htm

Bypassing the first big ugly hill is no problem. some of the guys I run with don't do that hill anyway, so I usually skip it too. some of that section is kind of overgrown with low hanging branches and trees, and my XJ is kind of purdy, so I don't like adding scratches to it, which is another reason to skip that section
redjeepguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

We did basically the same run these guys are planning about a week ago.

Although we ran that portion of the Naches in the dark starting at about 10pm (wanting to get an "early" start on the trail . . . headed out Thursday after work) and set up camp in the first meadow by about mid-night.

If you're in a Jeep you'll make it.

Heck. . . we had a mid-80's Toyota mini-van on the trip with us who made it up the hill in the dark with the rest of us.

So, if the other guys wouldn't mind, I wouldn't hesitate on that run if I were you.

Other possibilities:

Manastash Ridge area
South of Cle Elum is the Manastash Ridge area, about 115 sq miles of fun trails and incredible scenery. Takes about 2-2.5 hrs to get there from Seattle. Trail maps are available here from my website in the "maps" folder. Download and print at Kinkos on 11x17 paper.

Naches Trail
As discussed briefly above. Takes you to the edge of the Manastash area from just outside Greenwater, WA (itself about 26 miles out of Enumclaw).

Liberty / Table Mountain
Some trails up in this area. Nothings "super difficult" I'm not that familiar with it and want to explore this area more. NE of Cle Elum off Hwy 97 around the town of Liberty, WA.

Evan's Creek
Fun ORV Park near Buckley / Enumclaw, WA. About 20 miles of trails put together. They run up and down the sides of some low mountains at the base of Mt. Rainier. Classic NW trails. So close to Mt. Rainier, in fact, that if you look down the valley of the one view overlook Mt. Rainier climbs up the other side. Body damage is very possible with the tight trail confines. It's more challeng, too, than other trail areas. But tons of fun.

Reiter Trails
Out past Monroe on Hwy 2 about 15 miles (+/-) . . . just on the other side of Goldbar, WA. I spent several months GPS mapping the trails (trail map available on my website). It's close. There are some easy trails. But there are also some very difficult trails. It's almost too much for me, especially after I bashed my Jeep on the rocks the last time. Oof. Sort of like Evan's Creek but more intense, and closer to civilization.

Walker Valley ORV Park
Up near Mt. Vernon. Semi-limited trail selection but fun trails, too. Some run through some clear-cuts, others through the woods. It's gotten a lot more fun in the last 2 years as the state DNR has opened more trails. It's definitely worth a half-to-full day of wheel'n and exploring.
Unread 07-31-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
smidgeon36
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome, thank you for the information! That's what I needed. I think I'm just going to save all that information for future reference regardless of what I end up doing in the next couple weeks.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.