Single overnight trip ideas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Single overnight trip ideas?

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 01-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Single overnight trip ideas?

A couple of friends and I are looking to do an overnight trip in the next few weeks. We're all campers, but not offroaders, so this needs to be a simple kind of deal. What we're hoping for is some place not far from where we live (Lake Washington area). Up near Snoqualmie, or Stevens, or any of the logging roads in between (Carnation, Monroe, Duval, etc) would be ideal. We're hoping to leave mid day on a Friday, drive for awhile, camp that night, then explore/drive for all day Satruday. Loggin roads are just fine for us. We'll likely be in a single vehicle, so we don't really want to take any chances. We're just looking for a bit of an offroad experience with some camping involved.

Can anyone here give any suggestions on location?

ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Still no recommendations for a noob?
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
redjeepguy1

going towards snoq or stevens won't get you far before hitting snow, thought around Monroe, Duvall, North Bend or the own of snoqualmie there might be roads accessible.

All the routes I know about are snowed in.
redjeepguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
eddiek
2003 TJ Wrangler 

410 twenty miles east from Rainier NP to Bumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2
A couple of friends and I are looking to do an overnight trip in the next few weeks. We're all campers, but not offroaders, so this needs to be a simple kind of deal. What we're hoping for is some place not far from where we live (Lake Washington area). Up near Snoqualmie, or Stevens, or any of the logging roads in between (Carnation, Monroe, Duval, etc) would be ideal. We're hoping to leave mid day on a Friday, drive for awhile, camp that night, then explore/drive for all day Satruday. Loggin roads are just fine for us. We'll likely be in a single vehicle, so we don't really want to take any chances. We're just looking for a bit of an offroad experience with some camping involved.

Can anyone here give any suggestions on location?
GE2, if you can over the 410 pass east of Rainier (Chinook Pass), and descend about 30-45 minutes back to 1K-3K there are a bunch of FS roads that wind into the forest and the terrain is fairly mild. About 20 miles after you turn east on 410, after getting over the pass will see a turnoff to the right called Bumping River Road. There will be snow there for sure but it shouldn't be as deep as Snoqualmie Pass. Just take this south and you will find scads of turn-offs, forest, and no people. Eventually you will reach Bumping Lake. This whole area is not too hilly and the Firs are thick, with narrow turn-offs and good protection from the wind. Bring yourself at least a starter bundle of dry wood. Let me know how it turns out!
Unread 01-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks very much fellas. We don't mind the snow, and now it looks like it'll be 2 vehicles. I'll have a look at some maps and check out the 410 suggestion. Thanks again!
Unread 01-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

410 is closed for the winter just after Crystal mt.

You can try Easton just off I90 or stampede pass also just off I90
Unread 01-25-2008, 11:46 PM   #7
deltabravo

WIth Chinook Pass being closed, The alternate way around to get to bumping lake area is over Snoq Pass, then to Yakima on I-82, then up 12 to 410, then keep going 410. LONG ways to go for a quick weekend trip though. JWs recommendation of Easton is better since it's less than 2 hrs from the Seattle area, unless 90 is snow covered
deltabravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2008, 07:39 AM   #8
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Doug. I think we'll look into Easton, as well as some FS roads that I was recommended by another buddy. There is apparently about a 50 mile stretch from Carnation to Monroe that is fun, easy and has a bunch of elevation change.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.