Pitman arm vs rock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Pitman arm vs rock

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
warbi
2010 JK Wrangler 

Jk Pitman arm vs rock

I just did a run with the Eastern Washington folk. It was located at the Clover Springs Rd area just off 410. This was my second ever group run (the other was 2 weeks ago with the people at naxja down in Tillamook State Forest). I don't think we did any of the "most difficult" trails, but I know we at least did some of the "more difficult" (the trails have little signs saying how difficult the trail is) trails. I think we must have done some of the "most difficult" though because there were spots where there were trees so close together, you could JUST squeeze between them and there were also a couple of difficult stream crossings, and at the beginning a HELLACIOUS downhill run with loose stones and dirt. Anyway, we had gone through almost all of the run. We were only about 5 miles from finishing. We had reached a fairly open area with snow and mud. The people in front of me started flying. I was trying to keep up and make sure that I followed in the tracks. Apparently I didn't do too good of a job following the tracks because as I was going quickly, I cam to a very sudden stop. I had hit a rock and was hung up on it! The people behind me said that my back wheels were actually off the ground. I managed to free myself. Shortly thereafter I noticed that I kept sliding off the trail to the left. I thought it was my newbie driving skills. I finally stopped and told the people behind me what was going on. I tried turning the wheel all the way to the right and it only went straight so I could only turn left!!! One of the guys climbed underneath and looked and exclaimed, "The pitman arm is bent!" No one had ever seen that happen before since the pitman arm is pure steel. Anyway, he did some tinkering around and I was then able to turn about 1/5 of the way left or right. I limped back to camp (had to be winched between two trees at one point) with a couple of others. Luckily there were a couple of guys with a flatbed trailer who happened to be going my way and they towed my baby home. Anyway, here is a pic showing where the arm bent. Thankfully the part is only $60!!!

pitmanarmmarked.jpg  
warbi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yep.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Ceg
2007 JK Wrangler 

Feel free to take your time going up the harder areas. You do not have to worry about being left behind. You would have a hard time getting lost since we were using CBs to tell every turn at the intersections, checking on you since you didn't have a CB and the tail gunner reported in once he made the turn.

I hope to see you back on the trail soon.

1951 CJ3A (project), 1975 CJ5, 1989 XJ, 2007 JKU
Ceg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
warbi
2010 JK Wrangler 

Definitely, ceg! I posted on the ewa forum. I plan on going on the weekend trip. I agree. I was going too fast trying to keep up with you more experienced types. Since I will have a CB now, I can hang back and not hold everyone up.
warbi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.