!Official! Washington State Jeeps!!!! --> Group Inside - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > !Official! Washington State Jeeps!!!! --> Group Inside

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #46
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Gotta be careful, we might get mixed up and hop in the wrong Jeep to head out.

On one outing with Kizer and I Flex we pretty much did have a yellow Tj meet. It just happened we all headed out to the trails and we all had yellow TJs.

Unread 02-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #47
phmaris
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Gig Harbor 3 weeks, Portland 1 week a month for now.

phmaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #48
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Ok, I'll play.....

I'm up in Kenmore, WA just N of Seattle.

Some pix:

Where were these taken at?
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #49
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

And, who would be interested in having a state wide meet somewhere. Somewhere central, and make a day of wheeling out of it? Anyone interested in that?

Id be happy to plan something for the far future, early summer/late spring perhaps?
Unread 02-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #50
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
And, who would be interested in having a state wide meet somewhere. Somewhere central, and make a day of wheeling out of it? Anyone interested in that?

Id be happy to plan something for the far future, early summer/late spring perhaps?
Always up for wheeling. I think one of the best areas is over in the Naches pass area. Plenty of trails, not just Naches for everyone to explore. I've been there once and am looking forward to spending more time there next summer.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #51
RockinRedXJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
Always up for wheeling. I think one of the best areas is over in the Naches pass area. Plenty of trails, not just Naches for everyone to explore. I've been there once and am looking forward to spending more time there next summer.
X2 on that. I know the liberty area pretty well, but I've only been to the moon and funny rocks once. I definitely want to explore them some more
RockinRedXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #52
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
Where were these taken at?
Sorry. From top to bottom:

Rimrock
Manastash Ridge (where Manastash Ridge Trail meets Kaner Flats Trail)
Backside of Evan's Creek (on a legit trail outside of the ORV area)
Manastash (Kaner Flats trail on a rock field near the top)
Manastash (Funnyrocks)
Manastash (on trail heading east away from Moonrocks)
Manastash (Just before the last climb up to Raven's Roost)

I also have:

Elbe

Evan's Creek - 520 Trail

Evan's Creek - 198 Trail

Evan's Creek - 197 Trail

Rimrock

Rimrock

Manastash - Funnyrocks

Manastash - Moonrocks

Walker Valley - Express Line (I think)

Reiter - Lake Isabel Trail at the log bridge (trail is now shut down)
Unread 02-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #53
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Sorry. From top to bottom:

Rimrock
Manastash Ridge (where Manastash Ridge Trail meets Kaner Flats Trail)
Backside of Evan's Creek (on a legit trail outside of the ORV area)
Manastash (Kaner Flats trail on a rock field near the top)
Manastash (Funnyrocks)
Manastash (on trail heading east away from Moonrocks)
Manastash (Just before the last climb up to Raven's Roost)

And other cool pics....

Damn. Can't wait until spring/summer to get to these places. (I've been to Naches and Evans, but none of the others).
Unread 02-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #54
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Washington state has some truly stunning territory and great wheel'n areas. While the trail systems on the western side of the Cascades are closer to home for most of us and still a lot of fun, they don't have the feeling of being "out there" that the large ORV areas do, such as Manastash Ridge (access via I-90/Ellensburg to the north, Hwy 410 to the south, or Naches Trail to the west) or Rimrock (off Hwy 12).

Rimrock, being about 3.5 hrs from Seattle, is not as well known as the other areas. Given the travel time to and from I usually only get down there about once a year myself. And it only makes sense to go if you can take off several days from work to make the time worth while. A 4 day trip to Rimrock would be an ideal minimum amount of time (half a day to get down there and settled in, half a day to come home, and two solid days of wheel'n and camping).

Manastash is a bit "closer to home" being only about 2 hrs from Seattle via I-90. It's even closer if you start on the Naches Trail which is near Greenwater, WA. That route takes longer to get to the Manastash Ridge area (aka Naches Basin) but you're on a 4x4 trail for much of the journey.

Both Rimrock and Manastash offer huge swaths of territory and LOTS of 4x4 trail miles. In terms of trail milage Rimrock has a bit more miles at close to 100 miles of 4x4 trails. Manastash is around 90 miles. But Manastash is spread out over 115 square miles of territory. Rimrock is over a big territory, too but not nearly as extensive. In comparison, Evan's Creek has myabe 16 miles of trail, Reiter about 18 miles, Walker is in the same range, ditto for Elbe. And these western trail networks are good enough to keep you entertained for a day.

Trails tend to be dry and traction often isn't a major issue, even for open diffs during the summer and early fall. It's dusty and rocky with steep climbs. Obstacles aren't anything that'll stop a mildy prepped Jeep. But there are areas, such as Funnyrocks / Moonrocks, where you'll want a REALLY built rig if you want to REALLY play. The good news is if you want you can also be just a spectator as there are plenty of ways around the tricky stuff.

Rimrock is the one area I would offer a warning on. Terrain tends to be VERY steep with LONG climbs or descents. As such, make sure brakes and cooling systems are in top notch condition. Because of the severity of terrain I'd only recommend this for a summer wheel'n place. No way I'd want to be on these trails in rain, let alone snow.

Liberty is another trail area NE of Cle Elum, around the town of Liberty, WA with trails on either side of Hwy 97. I'm not super familiar with the "good" trails in this area. What I have run on is deceptively "easy". Gently rolling tails running up and down through the woods. But at the slightest sign of moisture the powdery clay trails turn into snot slick runs where even lockers are mostly useless.

If you want to see what Manastash looks like check out my video here:

[YT]OHuNlkT6Aho[/YT]

In all three areas, Manstash, Rimrock, and Liberty, there is AMPLE camping all over the place. Both in terms of established camp grounds (some with toilets, some RV accessible) as well as disbursed camping out on the trails themselves.
Unread 02-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #55
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I am planning a few days dispersed camping over in the Naches area this summer. Not sure when, but I'm going to work it around or coordinate a run during the same time frame.

I also enjoy driving new roads, so I want to spend a day or so just cruising around forest service roads.

And after finding a few write ups on the Whipsaw trail in British Columbia, I think I need to go there in a few years.
Unread 02-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #56
jeepster425
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Maple valley here.

Naches

Evans Creek

Tahuya

Tahuya

Naches

Manastash (tripod flats)

Evans Creek
"my jeep burns the gas your prius saves"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch8672 View Post
Leather makes me sweat like Kanye West at a David Allan Coe concert...

__=====,o00o,
//__l_l_,\____\,_____
l_/-\_l__l_/-\_|
lllllll|
{o}_} {o}_}--o-}_}
jeepster425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #57
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Don't forget to joint he group

I want to be able to contact whoever when I go wheeling in your area!
Unread 02-11-2010, 04:10 AM   #58
JIBTEXHNKA
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Tacoma here! Don't have a lot of great pictures because none of my friends have Jeeps so when they come along all we get is pictures of other rigs but here's a couple. Both from Evan's Creek, both during boring parts of course. I need to hire someone to follow me around and take pictures

Washington Virtual Jeep Club
JIBTEXHNKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 04:25 AM   #59
Dabbill
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The pictures of my jeep were taken near Cripple Creak, Colorado while visiting some in-laws.
Dabbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2010, 12:07 AM   #60
RBxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

OK I'm in. This at Evans

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.