New to wheelin' - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > New to wheelin'

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
JeepinTim
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Question New to wheelin'

Hey everyone, I'm thinkin' about heading out towards a place called reiters pit tomorrow. Some random people around town up here have talked about it and I wanna see what its all about.

Wondering if there's anything I should know about the area and if anyone wants to meet up down there.

Or better yet if anyone has a suggestion for a pretty good place for a stocker jeep to play with still being able to drive away at the end of the day.

Thanks!

Unread 08-27-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Reiter is good. A lot of challenging trails up there. I think I'm running about a 60% damage rate . . . 60% of the runs I've done up there I've damaged something. The last was beating heck out of my control arm mounts and caving in my oil pan.

Reiter has a wide variety of trails that run from easy to insane. Choose wisely.

I created a GPS based trail map if you're interested: In the MAPS folder, download the Reiter Trail Map file.

Print it at Kinkos or someplace lilke that double sided on 11x17 and then get it laminated.

Some fun trails:
  • Lake Isabel Trail
  • Index Wall Trail
  • Sac Up
  • Grumpy's Trail

There are portions of the Powerline trail that are fun, too. Look at #1, 2, 4 on the map.

Three Step (#2 on the map)

Side trail on the Lake Isabel Trail

Lake Isabel Trail, about 1/3 of the way up.

Index Wall trail

Lake Isabel creek crossing (during fall high-water time)
This Jeep was on a 6"+ lift on 35" tires.

Index Wall overlook at the end of the Index Wall Trail (requires 5 min walk)

Unread 08-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Lupinsea for convincing me that this is also an area I need to explore
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
inwadventures
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Headed up there Friday Afternoon. Never been. Thanks for the link.

Hoping there will be some people up there as I have never ran this one before and I really try not to go out alone.
inwadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
JeepinTim
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I made it up there and had a blast on the easy stuff near the beginning. Was the first time my jeep was in mud with my new tires, and I have to say that the traction made my old AT's seem like they were bald!

I did some minor rock crawling wich was super fun. Even got to a point where my rear left and front right tires were off the ground and I was teetering in the air!

Next time I go out there I want to go with some other jeeps and really go exploring! Going to have to bust out the printer - my gps was good, but not all the trails were on it.

All in all, had a great time out there - was the first time I tried something that wasn't a forest road.
Unread 08-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Great to hear, JeepinTim!

And no problem Jeepguy1977 / Inwadventures. You'll find a bunch of people up there usually. Reiter is surprisingly close to the Monroe, Everett, Lynwood, Bothell areas. Closer than Evan's Creek (probably my favorite area). It's not geographically "big" but there is enough up there to keep you entertained for a day. Plus there are several abandon mines. Lots of motorbike and ATV trails, too. And hiking trails if you want to hoof it. I've actually hiked up to Lake Isabel once. Steep trail and it took 45 min to get there. That was from the end of the Lk Isabel trail (which the upper 1/3 is now washed out and just plain gone).

There are areas of Reiter than can get intense in a hurry so as you explore watch it.

They do have the main Rock Garden trail if you really want to push it, though. Both times I've done it I've scraped up my Jeep and needed winching. One of the guys behind me saw what I was going through and said forget it and didn't follow . . . and he was on 35's with a long-arm lift and lockers. Seriously, though, the Rock Garden way outclasses my Jeep on all but the very perimeter trails that I use to sneak around all the main lines.

To give you an idea, more than any where else in WA state I see the biggest collection of rock buggies up at Reiter. Things like these, it's their playground:

Oh, and I forgot to mention the Rhinoland trail. That's another fun one. Kind of tough in spots. It's the one that caved in my oil pan and bashed up my control arm brackets.

Last edited by lupinsea; 08-28-2008 at 04:35 PM..
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.