Need opinions on passing WA Emissions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Need opinions on passing WA Emissions

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 09-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
theAuthority

Need opinions on passing WA Emissions

I'm running rich and i'm looking for an alternative to putting (2) cats on (i have dual exhaust)

My info on my jeep is over there <----

If can go either route, rebuild carb, hotter spark plugs and wires, (already have HEI dist).

Or just slap on 2 cats and hope it covers up the unburnt fuel.

Open to all suggestions and help, if I can get away with doing less than $200 worth of work and pass emissions, and you suggested it, i'll buy you a membership

I'm in Lynnwood, if you wanna come look at my jeep and give me some suggestions.

theAuthority is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
theAuthority

ok Found out that my carter afb comp carb isn't opening in the rear butterflies.

does anyone have an adapter to mate a carter carb to an edelbrock manifold?

2 big holes in rear and 2 small in front, not all 4 same size.
Unread 09-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
theAuthority

Well I inserted a 1 inch adapter plate that is entirely open in the middle, since my edelbrock manifold is open as well.

Turned down both screws in the front and opened them up 2.25 turns.

Seems to run better but i'm having issues hitting the throttle under load, from a dead stop. Seems to sputter a bit.

I'm going to try and retard the timing and see if that helps out (the motor was almost fully warm when I did this)

Opinions are appreciated.

I think after I do a full tune up I should be able to pass emissions, the air and fuel mixture screws were almost 4 turns out each :

Last edited by theAuthority; 09-08-2009 at 12:10 PM..
Unread 09-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
Mykdiver
1997 ZJ 

Use an address in Kitsap County where I live.... we do not have emissions here! lol

[B]OPTIONS:[/B] 4X4/AWD, 5.2L (318) V-8, PW, PDL, PS, PDB, A/C, Pwr Seats, Leather, Pwr Moon roof, Tow pack, Tow hooks
[B]MODS:[/B] Rough Country 4" Lift, 31" G/T Adventuro MTs(siped), Rear Aussie Locker, Cobra CB, Vent visors, K&N filter, tint, Sylvania Silverstar bulbs
[B]FUTURE PLANS:[/B] Swaybar disconnects, Adjustable track bars, Custom bumpers, Winch, Rock sliders, Braided brake lines, Headers, Exhaust, Mild rebuild on the 318, OD green paint job[/color]
[url=http://michaelsbarefootrunning.blogspot.com/][COLOR="Sienna"]My Barefoot Running Blog[/COLOR][/url]
[url=http://forum.minimalistrunner.com][color=sienna]My Minimalist Running Forum[/color][/url][/center]

/ []__[\,[____],
l--L--L----–olllllllo-
(o)_)---(o)_)--o-)_)
Mykdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
theAuthority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykdiver View Post
Use an address in Kitsap County where I live.... we do not have emissions here! lol
Tell me how

I've considered getting a p.o. box somewhere and just having mail forwarded to it, but my license will still show an address in lynnwood ???

suggestions?
Unread 09-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
theAuthority

Ok just called local licensing office and they won't use the new address without ID from that address.

Can't get an ID with that address until I have mail delivered there. Seems like alot more work, haha.
Unread 09-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Move?

I'm glad I don't live in one of those areas. That emissions crap is a crock.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
theAuthority

Haha, both my wife and I live within 2 miles of our jobs. I dont think we'll move very far.

I've only had emissions in Houston and here in Seattle.

I lived in Oregon for 19 years and never had emissions
Unread 09-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAuthority View Post
I've only had emissions in Houston and here in Seattle.

I lived in Oregon for 19 years and never had emissions
Well, yeah, it's Oregon.
Unread 09-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
theAuthority

I'm contemplating putting the vehicle in my father's name so I can drive the damn thing .........

But I still need a mirror for the driver's side. Also it would need a VIN inspection in Oregon.
Unread 09-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #11
RBxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I might let you pay my bills if you want to use my address.
Unread 09-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
theAuthority

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBxj View Post
I might let you pay my bills if you want to use my address.
Haha i'd have to get my driver's license for that address than

Could just put the jeep in someone's else's name ...

anyone on here I trust enough to do that ....
Unread 09-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #13
Alpina23
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It sounds like you're on the right track with the idle mixture adjustments. It sounds like you are describing a tip-in hesitation that you created? Did it have the hesitation before you made the adjustments? How did you determine it was rich to start with? Did it fail your emissions test? If it is running rich and you put cats on it it will just destroy the cats. Under what conditions is it rich? Idle only? Cruising? On accel?
The ignition timing should just be set to spec for that engine (whatever it cam out of) and then tune from there.
Did your Jeep have a cat before the engine swap? I think they make meet the original emission levels of the vehicle, is that right?
Sorry for so many questions but if you try to answer them I can try to help you
Alpina23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #14
theAuthority

The jeep had a cat, on the 6 cyl that was on it.

Has a ACCEL HEI Dist on it with Edelbrock manifold and Carter AFB Carb and 1 inch spacer.

Was rich at Cruising on first test, then it was rich on idling and cruising on second test (i didn't let it warm up much) Neither test did I drive it on highway for 30 minutes and it has old oil.

The testing says Jeep w/ Chevy 350 engine, haha .. I just have to 'pass' I won't get a waiver or anything since it's not original equipment.

They testing it as a 8 cyl motor.

Yah as I 'depress' the accelerator on load is when it starts to hesitate slightly.

It did not have the hesitation until it sat for the past 'month' without being driven. I was working on my other jeep.

I'm gonna try and put cheapo copper plugs because they burn super hot, that's why they dont last as long. Keep the same wires just to save on some cash. Change oil so no old gases shoot into the chamber.

Drive it and get it super hot on freeway and then test and hope it goes well
Unread 09-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #15
RBxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Seriously you might also retard the timing just before your test, that used to help in my "muscle car" days in CA. I used to block off the vacuum advance good for about 12*. Also I'm not that familier with the Carter spread bore but on afbs and holleys I also used to disconnect the linkage to the secondarys to get them to run leaner for the test.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.