Naches Snow Run Trip Report - 12Nov2011 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Naches Snow Run Trip Report - 12Nov2011

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

Jk Naches Snow Run Trip Report - 12Nov2011

Well we started off airing down at the staging area and noticed only a little bit of snow, not a big deal. As we actually started to hit the trail we then discovered most of the trail was sheer ice! Everything started off fine but then we started encountering some icey troubles. Found those lockers don't help in the slightest if all 4 wheels are just ice skating, lol! We managed to get up some hills with a little extra momentum, but when one had trouble, even at the top there was more ice. So we had to create a chain of 2 vehicles to try and pull up one going up the hill.

As we went further on and it was getting later, we encountered even longer hills with more ice which turned into a winchfest. We started winching my blue JK up the hill after several attempts lead me to sliding backwards about 50 yards and only barely managing to stop my backwards slide by slamming her into higher gear and flooring it against the edge where there was more snow than ice. Came just a few feet from slamming into the Jeep behind me, whew. Found out we accuidently spooled too much line off my drum and discovered warn never installed the bolt that holds the winchline on! So whille unspooling the line just fell off the drum. Thanks "warn quality!" Crash managed to find a solution with a license plate bracket screw which worked just fine!

Crash in his yellow 4-door definately had the record slide. He made it almost to the crest of this ice hill and loses momentum. He then spent between 1 and maybe even 2 football fields in length sliding backwards while trying to gas it and steer as he slalomed backwards downhill avoiding trees. A very long slide where we couldn't even see him when he finally stopped. Due to the danger that was not tried again, we did some interesting lining up and managed to get a winch line down to him with a couple straps to add extra length.

We encountered a few more icey spots, conditions were getting dark and the snow was piling up. Amazingly no serious damage considering all the downhill sliding and uphill backwards sliding. So we decided to call it quits while no one had any serious damage and before anyone ended up getting hurt.

A very fun....but scarey trip at times. No one got hurt and no major damage, so a fun successful trip in my opinion.

Here are some pictures! Sadly we didn't get too many pictures in the heavier snowfall, we were busy then! Mostly early in the day shots.

-Staging Area

-Crash and his temp plates still

-Along the trail

-Very icey and off-camber. A bad combination with roots sticking out.

-Some flex

-2door flexing over a 2-3 foot "jump" in the snow.

-Snow storm is rolling in!

-One of our many interesting recoveries that day, this one a 3-way!

-The faithful companion...or potential meal in survival situation. lol She burrowed under the towel herself and refused to come out of the warm Jeep to help us recover vehicles.

-Nearing whiteout conditions and getting dark...time to call it while it's still a fun day!

"The Smurf": --Pic 1-- --Pic 2-- --Pic 3-- --Pic 4--
Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--
BrettDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Great pics & write up!
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
CRASHNDENT
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Jessie said she's got some pics too and she'll add them soon. all in all one of the most intense wheelin trips i've ever been on. definitely getting some chains for the tires.
just glad everyone made it out safe and no damage. Big yellow Banana Bob-sled style
Unread 11-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
Bubblegoose1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice report and pics Brett.
RIPP GEN 2 w/ RIPP headers, Diablosport Trinity, 6 1/2" Teraflex, 38 KM2s, Trail Readys, RCVs, JE Reels, Currie Antirock, Redneck Ram, ORH Top, Bushwacker Flares, XRC 10 Comp, EVO 1/4 Pounder, Finishlinewest Rear Carrier/Bumper, Rotopax, Schrockworks Rails, OverKill Corner Armor, Rock Hard/AEV Skids, Warn VTC, ARB Fridge,.....
Bubblegoose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
CRASHNDENT
1994 YJ Wrangler 

sept-nov2011-567.jpg

Garth from Wayne's world decided to visit us before we hit the trails .
Unread 11-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
CRASHNDENT
1994 YJ Wrangler 

sept-nov2011-574.jpg

sept-nov2011-575.jpg

sept-nov2011-579.jpg

sept-nov2011-587.jpg

sept-nov2011-596.jpg
Unread 11-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
CRASHNDENT
1994 YJ Wrangler 

sept-nov2011-580.jpg
Entering the car wash.
sept-nov2011-581.jpg

sept-nov2011-582.jpg

sept-nov2011-584.jpg
Cha Ching !!!
sept-nov2011-605.jpg
Cool almost black and white , Jessie said this should be a screen saver.
Unread 11-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

Awesome shots! Too bad we can't portray just how icey it was. We didn't get enough pictures of people falling on their ***es!! lol

Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--
Unread 11-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #9
Bubblegoose1
2007 JK Wrangler 

The slip and fall and turtle pics are the best. LOL
RIPP GEN 2 w/ RIPP headers, Diablosport Trinity, 6 1/2" Teraflex, 38 KM2s, Trail Readys, RCVs, JE Reels, Currie Antirock, Redneck Ram, ORH Top, Bushwacker Flares, XRC 10 Comp, EVO 1/4 Pounder, Finishlinewest Rear Carrier/Bumper, Rotopax, Schrockworks Rails, OverKill Corner Armor, Rock Hard/AEV Skids, Warn VTC, ARB Fridge,.....
Bubblegoose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
Ceg
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice write up.

Great Pictures!

1951 CJ3A (project), 1975 CJ5, 1989 XJ, 2007 JKU
Ceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
hitman76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I meet up with a group that same day and were just ahead of you guys. The ice was hell but was fun at the same time.
hitman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman76 View Post
I meet up with a group that same day and were just ahead of you guys. The ice was hell but was fun at the same time.
Oh yeah, we had fun(a little work to get up this one long uphill section). I heard one of the groups had a guy slide backwards and then rolled multiple times that day.
Unread 11-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #13
hitman76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDez View Post
Oh yeah, we had fun(a little work to get up this one long uphill section). I heard one of the groups had a guy slide backwards and then rolled multiple times that day.
that sucks. We did a lot of backwards slides but no roll overs. I even busted my arse walking.
hitman76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.