mud flap laws - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > mud flap laws

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #31
THeGAME
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Adequate is in the eye of the beholder. Due to the dimensions of the spray created by a semi, your Jeep isnt going to produce a 100th of that. You may get the ticket, but you will win in court!

Unread 02-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #32
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoGuy
You have to always have them, and they have to fully cover the width of the wheel down to the center of the axle.

Also, the wheel can't extend past the body without flares to fully cover.

You can look all the regs up here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?Cite=46

It's Title 46 of the RCW. Also includes such helpful info as light mounting (not on top unless covered), and mirror usage (drivers side only required to see 200ft back).

And yes, I've been pulled over for it...twice (once in Bellevue and once in Kirkland). Both times they were cool about it, and basically just warned me that State Police were the ones most likely to ticket me for it. I pointed out to one officer that many vehicles on the road don't meet the law, and he just agreed and smiled, which leads me to think they can use it as a way to validate a stop if needed.

Which btw I'm not judging - I'm fine with a "match profile" stop if they are then cool about it and let me go when I don't turn out to be doing anything wrong.
I kept getting pulled over right on 116th on ramp, same time 7am, same State Patrol, next to Tacoma screw. What a loser. Eventually I would just drive down to 85th and get on there.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #33
try2holdmywheel

The objectivity of LEO can be frustrating, for sure. Some will pull you over while others will leave you alone. I thought I'd chime in and say that I have never been pulled over. I live in a small-ish city. There are a few others in town with lifted Jeeps that carry removable flaps with them in case of being pulled over and tell the LEO they forgot to put them on after wheeling. I run my removable flaps all the time. Maybe LEO just seeing that I run them keeps them off my back. I run them on the back only with minimal flairs and my wheels stick out at least 6". The small flairs are clearly not legal but running the flaps may make it look like I am at least trying. Here's to not being pulled over if we're not being malicious.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.