mud flap laws - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > mud flap laws

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #16
3JeepsOffroad

It will be a fun install Saturday.

[B]3 Jeeps Offroad is honored to donate a portion of every sale to help our wounded heroes. For details see our webpage: [URL="http://store.3jeeps.com/Articles.asp?ID=252"]Charity Support[/URL][/B]

3 Jeeps Offroad is proud to be a [COLOR="Red"][B]Warn Authorized Retailer[/B][/COLOR].
3JeepsOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 02:46 AM   #17
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Hah, it won't take that long. Just 4 self-tapping screws per bracket, then another 4 bolts/nuts per bracket to mount the flaps. Fun will be later when we take the rear bumper off so I can get the shackle relocation brackets in. I'm pretty sure a 3/8" or 1/4" ratchet with some swivels can take care of the hidden bolts. Maybe I can get those out sometime this week, then it will just be the 8 easy ones to worry about.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #18
branjmb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've been pulled over once, but I will never put mudflaps on. It will always be a warning I get. I don't mean to sound like a brat, but I'm not crazy about the look of mud flaps. Not on my to-do list.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/broke-students-jeep-build-1264853/"]YJ BUILD THREAD/[/URL]
branjmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #19
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I put mud flaps on, and made them so I can remove them when I go on the trails.

There have been many times here in the PNW when the rain has come down in buckets when I'm on the freeway. Or driving through the wet, sloppy west side snow we sometimes get here in the Seattle area. And when a rig is in front of me that doesn't have mudflaps, it can make for some serious white knuckle driving.

When I think of folks that these kind of conditions can scare the crap out of, that aren't prepared for the extreme conditions like the elderly, and/or the non-savvy drivers who have just as much right to be on the road that I have, I can't justify my own selfish reasons for not wanting mud flaps. So I made some removable ones for the front, and will do the same for the rear. Yes it was/is a P.I.T.A. for me, but it's not about "me", that much I know.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
1982cj8
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I got a fix it ticket once when my CJ was lifted 2.5" and on 32's. I ran it for years with a spring over and 35's without flaps and never got pulled over, it just depends on the cop.

4X4XNORTHWEST.COM
1982cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #21
ChadH
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ok so this seems odd. State law requires mud flaps even though Jeeps stock do not have them? Or does this only apply to lifted vehicles?

My Build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/majestic-eagle-1434780/
ChadH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #22
1982cj8
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadH
Ok so this seems odd. State law requires mud flaps even though Jeeps stock do not have them? Or does this only apply to lifted vehicles?
State law requires them even when stock but does not make the manufacturer put them on.

4X4XNORTHWEST.COM
1982cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #23
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My thought is that when stock, the factory flares meet DOT requirements, however when we add wider tires that stick out past the factory flares that's when it becomes an issue, often resolved with extended flares and/or mud flaps.

Extended flares are great on the road, but they're often a magnet on PNW trails for carnage. I had the Rugged Ridge 7" extended flares for a while. My friends hated the way they looked, but they were great for keeping the side windows clean & minimized spray, and likely made that aspect of my rig "legal". But one trip to the Evans Creek trail system, and both drivers side flares were toast. So I bagged them.

Now I run the 1st generation MCE Flatty's up front, with removable mud flaps. I don't believe I'm technically legal, but they seem to work for me "so far".
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #24
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982cj8 View Post
I got a fix it ticket once when my CJ was lifted 2.5" and on 32's. I ran it for years with a spring over and 35's without flaps and never got pulled over, it just depends on the cop.
That's the biggest frustration, there's no consistency with the enforcement of it. Never once had an issue with my YJ and have had my XJ for 4 years now; plenty of other cops surely had to have noticed. A buttload of states don't even require flares or flaps, so clearly there's no federal concern over them or the safety they supposedly provide.

In my opinion, if you're getting 'too much spray' from another vehicle, you're probably following too close for conditions anyway. It amazes me seeing vehicles doing 65-70 on the freeways, usually with only 2-3 car lengths worth of space. Even in ideally dry and sunny weather that's way too damn close.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #25
ChadH
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
That's the biggest frustration, there's no consistency with the enforcement of it.
As true as that is it's unfortunate that the law is so vague and ultimately left up to the decision of the one enforcing. It is good in a way, but bad at times too...I've gotten away with a lot just due to military ID, but you get an upset officer who's having a bad day and you're screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982cj8 View Post
State law requires them even when stock but does not make the manufacturer put them on.
I'll keep that in mind when I get my lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
My thought is that when stock, the factory flares meet DOT requirements, however when we add wider tires that stick out past the factory flares that's when it becomes an issue,
I was thinking the same

My Build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/majestic-eagle-1434780/
ChadH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #26
sga95zj
1995 ZJ 

i have ga plates and when the patrol officer pulled me over he said he didnt care about what other state cared about or didnt care about
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #27
bondosgto
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sga95zj View Post
i have ga plates and when the patrol officer pulled me over he said he didnt care about what other state cared about or didnt care about
all he was doing was giving you a hard time (looking for easy $$$$). if your are still a ga resident and your jeep is registered there (ga dot legal) he cant do jack and he knows it.
bondosgto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #28
sga95zj
1995 ZJ 

that may be but i figured may as well get so i dont get screwed with anymore. besides i dont have them on most of the time if i do get pulled over i have them in the back and just tell him i forgot to put them back on after wheeling
Unread 12-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #29
codyjones11
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIZB View Post
does anyone know the laws in washington regarding mud flaps....when do you have to have them on?

thank you
They'll only be ***holes if you are throwing mud off your tires or dirt other then that they don't mind. Same with wheel sticking out of fenders.
codyjones11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #30
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyjones11

They'll only be ***holes if you are throwing mud off your tires or dirt other then that they don't mind. Same with wheel sticking out of fenders.
Not true, I was stopped 2 times in Kirkland and 1 time in issaquah by state patrol. And given warnings/ fix it tickets. All times were in good weather. I drive normally.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.