Manastash Road Closed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Manastash Road Closed

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Manastash Road Closed

Just an FYI as I stumbled across this recently.....

Manastash Road which accesses the Manastash Campground and some of the trailheads for the huge Manastash Ridge ORV area has been closed due to massive flooding in mid-May of this year. And..... I think FS Rd 33 beyond Taneum Campground is also closed. The Forest service has also closed down Manastash, Rider, Tamarack Springs and other campgrounds up in that area.

The point being is that I think access to Manastash Ridge ORV trails are shut down from I-90.

You can still access the trails via the Naches Trail, Hwy 410, and (I think) Manastash Ridge Trail that starts at the eastern end of the ridge south of Ellensburg.

I just got off the phone with the Cle Elum Ranger District. At this time they have no funding to repair the roads and the soonest they would get any would be October..... too late to start any repair work. This means it is likely that access to these areas via I-90 will be shut down for about 1-2 years.

Unread 07-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Jay, between the Naches and Cle Elum ranger districts, there are probably 20 roads closed. If anyone plans on heading out to any trails between I-90 and Hwy 12, they have to go to the respective forest web sites and write down, mark on a map, or download the lists. I've had to back track twice so far this season, but one other time led me to run a Black Diamond trail I've wanted to do for years.
Unread 07-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info!

BTW, we're planning a mid-August trip where we cross the Cascades on the Naches trail. I was hopping to make it up FS Rd 1708 (which leads to four fingers hill climb) up to the top of Manastash Ridge and then go camping at Funnyrocks or some place on top. Is 1708 passable still?
Unread 07-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Is 1708 passable still?
No, every road from 1708 thru 1702 is washed out so you have to go up either Kaner Flats trail or 1901 to 1915 to Lily Pond, then trails(Shoestring or Tip over or Lily Pond) to Funny rocks. Or go miles down Hwy 410 to FR 1701.
Unread 07-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Wow.. Ok, thanks.

Not sure if it's wise taking a rig fully loaded with camping gear up Kaner and over Shoestring / Tipover. But . . . The other issue is running the Naches and then getting to camp and setting it up before it gets dark.

A couple questions then:

1. Can we go down 4W617 (Lilly pond), then go up the rest of 1708 and get to Funnyrocks that way?

2. Any other suggestions for campsites?

Ideally, something reasonably central on the trails but not THAT far out so that dropping down to get more gas at Whistling Jacks isn't such a time suck. I'd really like to not have to waste space bringing spare fuel jugs. AND I'd like to not waste a lot of time (and fuel) driving back and forth to the gas station. AND I'd like to camp out on the trails, not in an improved campsite. I know, I know, I probably can't have everything.

I've camped at Tripod Flats before. . . it's nice.... but a little far to Whistling Jacks. Now, if we do a loop to Funnyrocks, drop down 1701, do Raven's Roost and come back up Kaner. . .. hm.

Maybe we camp at Lilly Pond Lake? Not far from FS 1915 and a (semi-quick) shot to the gas station.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.