Light laws in Wa - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Light laws in Wa

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
MikeSD

2008 JK Wrangler 

Light laws in Wa

I'm confused. I know I've seen Jeeps with light bars on the top of the Jeep windshield. I've seen more than 2 lights. But the light laws seem to say no more than 2 aux. lights.

Quote:
RCW 46.37.180
Spot lamps and auxiliary lamps.

(1) Spot lamps. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two spot lamps and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will strike the windshield, or any windows, mirror, or occupant of another vehicle in use.

(2) Fog lamps. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two fog lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than twelve inches nor more than thirty inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of twenty-five feet ahead project higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes. Lighted fog lamps meeting the above requirements may be used with lower head lamp beams as specified in RCW 46.37.220.

(3) Auxiliary passing lamps. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than twenty-four inches nor more than forty-two inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. The provisions of RCW 46.37.220 shall apply to any combinations of head lamps and auxiliary passing lamps.

(4) Auxiliary driving lamps. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than sixteen inches nor more than forty-two inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. The provisions of RCW 46.37.220 shall apply to any combination of head lamps and auxiliary driving lamps.
How many off-road lights can be added to a Jeep?

Is there a height restriction, as is implied by the law above (i.e. 41 inches)?

Is this just loosely enforced?

Is this applicable to highway use only?

Unread 07-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
SpokaneDmax
1990 XJ Cherokee 

ive been told you can have no more than 3 forward facing lights on at once on hwy and roads. off roading is different. you can have as many lights on there as you want, they just cant be turned on well driving on main roads with oncoming traffic.
SpokaneDmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You can have as many off-road lights mounted as you want, but:

1) You can only have 2 on while on normal roads
2) Those 2 have to be mounted somewhere between the bumper and the hood line (max height would probably be on top of a short grille guard for most Jeeps, windshield bracket mounts are too high.)

3?) Not sure on this one, but they might have to have covers on while not in use (except the 2 'legal' ones.) This might be one of those loosely-enforced ones though, can't remember where I read/heard it.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
bondosgto
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
You can have as many off-road lights mounted as you want, but:

1) You can only have 2 on while on normal roads
2) Those 2 have to be mounted somewhere between the bumper and the hood line (max height would probably be on top of a short grille guard for most Jeeps, windshield bracket mounts are too high.)

3?) Not sure on this one, but they might have to have covers on while not in use (except the 2 'legal' ones.) This might be one of those loosely-enforced ones though, can't remember where I read/heard it.
I remember #3 from drivers Ed, only 2 head lights and 2 driving lights, all other lights must be covered.
Its loosely enforced, just when a cop needs a "interaction".
bondosgto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #5
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, the Liberty Renegades come with a light bar with 4 lights stock and no covers for them.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
1982cj8
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
Yeah, the Liberty Renegades come with a light bar with 4 lights stock and no covers for them.
Actually the Libertys came with covers, most people don't run them.

4X4XNORTHWEST.COM
1982cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:36 AM   #7
john444
1995 YJ Wrangler 

hey guys not butting in but ,I pesonaly got hasseled one time about it ,basicly to be safe all your forward lightsneed covers especially if not DOT approved highway lights(ypu know its on the glass in raised letters)which none of mine are.so mine are covered. oh not your stock lights and be care full how they are aimed been hassled for that to,happy wheelin hope to see ya on trail
john444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Mainsail
2005 WK 

Well, my CUCV has six 35 watt HIDs, two 55 watt halogens, and two 55 watt halogen alley lights in the modded Whelen Edge police lightbar. I have two 25 volt 450 watt aircraft landing lights on the grille as well.

I suppose the saving grace is that the lightbar doesn't necessarily look like off road lighting.

My WK has four 35 watt HIDs on the front, so that may cause some drama. So far it hasn't.

Unread 07-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
Pawjob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Heres my current set up. My jeep is no where near street legal but some how I havent has issues at all with lights, lift, mud flaps, fender flares, mirrors, front bumper hight, or lack of rear bumper. I dont know maybe cause my live in the most redneck part of WA. I run the LED up front all the time at night and my HID's I run those on back roads instead of my headlights. I have pass by a few cops in both WA and OR with my HID's and LED's on with out head lights with no issues. Luck? Lazy cops? IDK

1993 Wrangler, Rock Smashing Jeep, and November 2012 YJOTM... [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rockcrawling-yj-build-1428039/"]YJ Build[/URL]
1.5" SOA, Stak 3 speed Tcase, 37" Swamper M16's...ALOTS of extras
Pawjob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
comeoutswingin
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was hassled when I was 18 for the light bar on my Ford Ranger by a state cop. He basically told me that next time he saw me he was going to ticket me $100 for each of the KC lights on top of my truck unless I removed them.

I fully intended on NOT complying because he just wanted to be an *******, which most WA LEO are. I never changed a thing and never got bothered again.
comeoutswingin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #11
soundline
1992 YJ Wrangler 

On public roadways you can run your primary headlights and one pair of clear or amber driving lights. All lights must be mounted below 41" from the level pavement. It's technically $124 fine per additional light per the RCW you quoted. Just make sure any extra lights are covered and your driving lights are appropriately aimed (see your vehicles owners manual).

As far as enforcement standards, this is enforced state wide by WSP's spot check teams and troopers. Other than that it's "officers discretion". So he/she will make that decision based on a myriad of factors. Best practice is to have one set of driving lights, the rest covered and compy with state safety regulations.
Unread 06-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #12
Mainsail
2005 WK 

Dragging this one back up for a quick report.

A trooper at the ferry terminal walked up to my truck today to ask about my set-up and let me know that the WACs or RWs (he didn't seem to sure which) said the two lights on my grille needed to be covered when operating on the public roads.
m1009snow01.jpg

Unread 06-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #13
soundline
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't see why? The RCW's and WAC's allow you to have one set of headlights and one set of driving lights uncovered. He could whine about your light bar if he wanted too... But as long as the bulbs inside are amber it's legal.

I'm not a cop anymore though, but I've listed all those RCW's in this thread. I was shot and nearly killed in the line of duty protecting a child from someone hell bent on killing her. I was hurt bad enough that I'll never be a cop again. But I'll still answer questions.
Unread 06-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #14
Mainsail
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundline View Post
I don't see why? The RCW's and WAC's allow you to have one set of headlights and one set of driving lights uncovered. He could whine about your light bar if he wanted too... But as long as the bulbs inside are amber it's legal.

I'm not a cop anymore though, but I've listed all those RCW's in this thread. I was shot and nearly killed in the line of duty protecting a child from someone hell bent on killing her. I was hurt bad enough that I'll never be a cop again. But I'll still answer questions.
The lights in the lightbar are white facing forward and amber to ther rear.

I think there’s a little more to this. On my drive down to the ferry terminal an SUV in front of me pulled to the right (no signal) and let me pass. I wasn’t tailgating or flashing my lights, just driving along in my morning daze. When I got to the terminal the trooper came over to my truck almost like he’d been expecting me.

So I *think* the driver that pulled over to let me pass got annoyed, thinking my truck was *official* and then realized it wasn’t- and so called the cops. The cop couldn't do anything so he picked out something he could say something about.

What’s ironic is that I asked the troopers at the terminal a couple times why they don’t say anything to the drivers of the cars with expired tags, some over a year expired, and I was told that they just want to keep the ferry traffic moving and so won’t ticket them.
Unread 06-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #15
soundline
1992 YJ Wrangler 

In that case you technically need to cover the lights on top when in forward motion because, I'm assuming, they're more than 54" from the pavement and they show white to the front.

I see where he's coming from with this, cause the light bar would give you 3 "full sets " of driving or accessory lights so technically he could write you a ticket for "too many forward facing lights" which is a WAC code. I don't have my paperwork with me because I'm in Bellevue today getting a second opinion on the next series of surgeries.

Either way, if you didn't flash those lights on top at anyone I feel you could respectfully argue it to a justice of the peace that there was no ill intent and that you will convert the top light bar to Amber front and rear to comply with the WAC codes. The only thing that would change that is if you're a volunteer fireman, reserve police, or search and rescue. Which, if those apply I'd be happy to explain the modifications you would need to make.

Btw, I know it's not a jeep, but I do like the 80's military blazers. That's a cool truck and I think that military history is important to preserve.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.