Lake Chelan to Lake Wenatchee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Lake Chelan to Lake Wenatchee

Jeep Tweaks at JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 06-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
kyalbert
1979 CJ7 

Lake Chelan to Lake Wenatchee

Howdy, anyone know a router between Lake Chelan (25 mile creek) and Lake Wenatchee? Scouring some old maps, but nothing looks current. Thanks!

kyalbert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yes, it'll be all dirt roads as there isn't any 4wd trails over there. Plenty of dirtbike trails though. You'll need a FS map or a GPS with TOPO to do it.
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
kyalbert
1979 CJ7 

Thanks Andy! I was looking through more maps last night, and in this area it appears that my better option might be Cashmere or Mission Ridge back over Table Mountain to hwy 97 as a loop, or Yakima back over to Cle Elum. My goal is a two day round trip from Seattle, go over the mountains on hwy, then come back over through some dirt roads and 4x4 trails if possible. Another I've heard of is Greenwater through Naches to Cle Elum. Any experience with any of those? Looking for the most 4x4 trails we can play on along the way. Not trying to get into anything extreme though.
Unread 06-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyalbert View Post
Thanks Andy! I was looking through more maps last night, and in this area it appears that my better option might be Cashmere or Mission Ridge back over Table Mountain to hwy 97 as a loop, or Yakima back over to Cle Elum. My goal is a two day round trip from Seattle, go over the mountains on hwy, then come back over through some dirt roads and 4x4 trails if possible. Another I've heard of is Greenwater through Naches to Cle Elum. Any experience with any of those? Looking for the most 4x4 trails we can play on along the way. Not trying to get into anything extreme though.
I know some of the dirt roads from Ardenvour to Lake Winatchee are basically like a Jeep trail(take a chainsaw). Naches Pass opens Jul 15. If you wait till then, it'll be 60% trail from outside Greenwater to Cle Elum. Done this alot. Again You'll need a FS ORV map or a GPS with TOPO to do it. Also, scope out the FS website.
Unread 06-03-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've gone from Twisp to Lake Chelan over FS roads. Nothing noteworthy, but fun nonetheless...don't ask me how we did it...ANDY?

Also, Hwy 12 to 410 on dirt roads and then 410 to I-90 Andy is the master at this stuff!
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

We've done a number of Naches - Manastash - Etc. runs. . . From Manastash you can drop into Cle Elum and head up to Liberty. In fact, I think that was the first of several multi-day expeditions I've been on with this route.

Start in Enumclaw and head out Hwy 410 to Greenwater, on the far side of town take FS Rd 70 up to where the pavement turns to gravel, about 1 mile +/- past this turn left onto the Naches Trailhead. This trail takes you over the Naches Pass and drops you into the Naches Basin on the eastern side of the mountains . . . all on 4x4 trails.

The trail dumps out onto FS Rd 19, from there its a 5-10 minute drive on pavement to the Kaner Flats trailhead and the start of the Manastash Ridge trail network. Manastash Ridge covers a 115 sq mile piece of territory criss-crossed with 4x4, ATV, and motorbike trails. There are a number of hidden lakes, rock out croppings, and steep climbs and some spectcular views. On the north of Manastash ridge you can take two routes "into town". One is a bit more complicated but zig-zags to the north into South Cle Elum. The other is easier to do but takes you into Ellensburg.

From either town head up north on Hwy 97 for more 4x4 trails around the town of Liberty. Trails are on either side of Hwy 97.

I can give more precise directions if you're interested.

You "can" do the Naches / Manastash, and reach Liberty in a day if you're moving quickly without stopping for refueling. But you can also spend nearly a week in Manastash alone traveling on the region's 90+ miles of 4x4 trails.

Last year I did THIS RUN. We did the Naches starting Thursday afternoon and rolled around Manastash for the next three day. On Sunday I picked a route out to the North and dropped down to Ellensburg for a good BBQ dinner before heading home on I-90.

Click here for the pictures.

Click here for a video (youtube).

As I say, let me know if you want more info.

Oh, and the Naches Trail reopens for the season starting mid-July.
Unread 06-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
kyalbert
1979 CJ7 

Very cool Jay/ Thanks! I've got the Cle Elum Ranger district ORV maps now and am planning a couple of trips. I'm wondering how this will go though after watching your video. I've got a open diff CJ7 with a stiffer than stiff 2.5" Rough Country lift on it. Something tells me I better find a winch or my come along is going to see a lot of use
Unread 06-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
kyalbert
1979 CJ7 

Hey Jay, if a guy goes from Greenwater over Manastash to CleElum or Ellensburg in the most direct route - do you have a feel for total mileage? Thanks.
Unread 06-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #9
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Let's see.

From Greenwater it's maybe 8-10 miles up FS Rd 70 until you reach the Naches trailhead. Figure 15-25 minutes to the trail head. Plus air-down time and trail prep.

There are multiple entry points to the Naches trail depending on what you want to do but to run the full trail is maybe 13-ish miles. Non-stop it's maybe 2-3 hours at a brisk pace. Stopping for pictures and to look around figure 4+ hours. Add time if there is trail traffic.

Then about 5-8 miles on pavement traveling down FS Rd 19 until you reach either the Kaner Flats trail (15 min) or FS Rd 1708 (15-20 min).

At this point time varies depending on route. But with your set up (sans winch) you'd probably be best going up the FS Rd 1708, up "four fingers" and taking the Tripod Flats trail to Manastash Campground on the north side of the Manastash ORV area. Figure a good 2-ish hours at a decent clip. Maybe a bit more time. Definitely a bit more for pictures or looking around. Its' maybe 7-10 miles up FS Rd 1708 to the top of four fingers. Then another 6+ miles to Manastash Campground (just guessing here).

Manastash Campground to Cle Elum . . . I've traveled the route once and it was so twisty and turny that I felt completely turned arround. You hop on and off multiple paved and gravel roads and such. But, IIRC, it took maybe 40-ish minutes to get into town. If you head into Ellensburg it's an easier to figure out route but takes you out to mile post 101 on I-90 (Cle Elum is mile post 84). And it takes maybe 35+ minutes to get to I-90. .. it's about 22-24 miles from Manastash Camp Ground to I-90.

So. . . . adding it up: 6.5-8 hours, maybe 65 miles.

It's doable in a day but it'd be a long-ish day.

A couple things of note:

Maps
I got 'em if you want them, but they are a bit disjunctive if since each map covers either the Naches Trail or the Manastash Ridge but there's not a lot of good over-lap. And neither shows the route from Hwy 410 to the trail head or from Manastash Campground to I-90.

I can walk you through it, if you want, maybe cobble together a general vicinity map that shows the where the two map areas are.

Anyways, click here for the maps, download "Naches Trail Map.pdf" and "Manastash Trail Map.pdf".

Your Rig
The trails are a lot of fun but not what I'd consider "super challenging" for a decently equipped Jeep, which yours is, even with your open diffs. Those may give you issues in a few spots but if you had a winch (or a second Jeep, ahem (more later)) you could pull yourself through the tough spots. Where you may have issue is on some of the steep sections. The CJ7 that was with our group last year kept stalling on the steep slopes (which I didn't get because other carb'd Jeeps have run this route just fine, no problems.

Recovery Gear
At the barest minimum have some basic recovery gear such as a recovery strap, couple 3/4" d-shackles, gloves, shovel, saw/ax. A winch is a good thing but not critical. One of the guys I go Jeep'n with has been running for 6+ years without one. He gets pulled out occasionally by the rest of us but it's not a big deal.

Never Go Alone
Don't be like me and have to learn this lesson the hard way. Always go offroading with at least one other vehicle. You never know what's going to happen out on the trails and with only one rig you could get stranded. There are always people up for doing this run so it'd not be difficult to meet up with other Jeepers, either on this board or elsewhere.
Unread 06-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
kyalbert
1979 CJ7 

Thanks Jay - all very good points. I'm a real paranoid wheeler from long ago. Just getting back into it. I've even gone so far as to throw a pair of waders in my rig so when I come to a big mudhole I walk it through rather than tearing things up. Also I would never go alone - always travel with another rig. My Dad taught me young - his favorite saying was "4 wheel drive just means a longer walk out". Truer words were never spoken! I'd love to get together with some folks off the site. I have a 7 yr old son who wheels with me so I will stay on the cautious side. I also have a friend with another CJ7 who is interested in a trip. I'm even thinking about just going for a day this Sunday and hitting a couple of those trails off 410. I don't have an open weekend until the 16th of July when I plan on doing a three day trip through here. Let me know if you're interested in getting together on a trip. Thanks!
Unread 06-21-2010, 01:48 AM   #11
AnthonyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyalbert View Post
Howdy, anyone know a router between Lake Chelan (25 mile creek) and Lake Wenatchee? Scouring some old maps, but nothing looks current. Thanks!
My parents live in Lake Chelan and I've spent a lot of time up in the mountains behind it (out of 25 mile creek and navarre coulee).

Across the street from the 25 Mile Creek state campground is Shady Pass Rd. It's paved for the first 2.5 miles of the road then you come to a Y and the road turns to gravel. Stay to the right and you will go on Shady Pass (there is a sign). A little ways up there will be another Y, stay to the right again. Basically all of this is on Google Maps/Earth, so check it out there. The road is a decently maintained Forest service road the entire way. I would take a chain saw with you, down trees are normal in the mountains about Chelan. Shady Pass will drop you off about 2/3 the way up the Entiat River valley road. From there you can jump some more forest roads on the other side of the river and make it all the way to Lake Wenatchee.

What time are you thinking about doing this trip? Most of Shady Pass is around 6000 ft elevation and has areas that keep snow well into July.
AnthonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 05:25 AM   #12
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Seems like maps around that area seem to be a weak point.. I may have to do something about that. I may head that way for 4th of July or Labor day (my only 3 day weekends coming up) and fix that for everyone. Anyone have any grid coordinates or mapnumbers/sectors the trail is in?

I was a geospatial intelligence analyst in the army. And am a certified cartographer/land surveyor (although I don't choose to do it as a career) If I do a geocaching trip threw their and combine that with google earth, and socketgxp(computer program) I can make some fairly precise updated maps if anyone would be interested. I don't know how confusing the area really is for most, but I was planning on making the trip this summer/fall anyways and I wouldn't have to bring much more equipment.

Granted if I was to do this, I am doing it for free and on my own timeframe. Unless someone wants to pay my regular work wages for me to take some personal days.

No hurry's though the earliest weekend would be the 4th of july. so if someone has a decent map you may want to just go with that. considering it may be pushed until labor day since I am going bungee jumping soon and am trying to accommodate for other peoples plans who have never been.
ReconBen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #13
awkragt
2007 JK Wrangler 

I've been thinking about doing the same trip. I'd go from 25 Mile to Steven's Pass. I'd start at 25 mile, take shady pass to entiat river road down to ardenvoir, then entait summit road up to lake wenatchee, then out the north end of the lake over the pass up twards steven's pass. I google mapped it here:
Unknown road to Natl Forest Develop Road 6700 Rd - Google Maps

Not sure if the google maps will come through properly. I also dinked around on the northside of lake chelan last thanksgiving. Not much to see actually. You can really only get around the next bend of the lake.
awkragt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.