I'm thinking of leading an "intro to offroading" church group this spring at our church. I've done twice before and I'm trying to refine it for this go-around.
Specifically, I'm trying to figure out a good place to go for a 1st meeting. Mostly, the first meeting would be an orientation and face-to-face meet and greet. But if there was some place the group could gather to play with 4WD and try out some flexing or what not that would be great. I'm not looking for a trail, necessarily. More like a lumpy, abandoned gravel parking lot, a gravel pit, or something like that.
Any idea of some place like that within about a 40-ish minute drive of the Bothell / Bellevue area?
What about some gravel forest roads in the North Bend area? Tinkham Rd (would that be clear of snow by mid-June?)? Anything near Duvall, Monroe, Issaquah, Fall City, Carnation?
I'm looking for:
- Some place legal to gather and motor about a bit
- Someplace on dirt or gravel
- Hopefully some place where there is something or other to drive or flex on
- Within 40-ish minutes of Bellevue / Bothell area
The plan is:
1st Meeting - Orientation
- Go over safety
- Discuss different components of 4WD systems
- Discuss general trail conditions
- Discuss basic trail riding techniques
- Discuss recovery techniques
2nd Meeting - Trail Run (easier trail)
3rd Meeting - Trail Run (moderate trail)
I'm pretty familiar with WA's trail systems. Most are about 1-2 hrs from the Seattle area and most are probably a little much for just a first time meet-n-greet orientations. This is why I'm looking for alternatives. And I'm thinking there's got to be something around North Bend.
Thanks guys, any help is appreciated.