Help me make an important decision - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Help me make an important decision

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-15-2007, 05:59 AM   #1
whitham_wannabe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Help me make an important decision

So Chrysler's bombing, it's time to get out.

If I come over to Boeing in Seattle, is there sufficient hard rockcrawling to do in the area, or should I leave my Jeep here? Being in MI, I'm used to driving 6 to 8 hours to get anywhere with good terrain, so it's got to be better than that, right?

Cheers!!

'94 ZX7R Streetfighter / '02 748R Race bike / '01 ItalJet 180 / '00 GasGas JTX270
[/CENTER]
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

see for yourself here
http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/index.php
Unread 12-15-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
yyoon

Plenty of crawling around here!!!
Unread 12-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyoon
Plenty of crawling around here!!!
very few trails in the PNW that cant be done by a bolt on TJ with 35's. Not at all what I consider hardcore. There aren't really any complete trails that would challenge a buggy, mostly just obstacles here and there and a couple of play areas.
Unread 12-15-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
PolloLoco
need more lemon pledge

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I hear what you're saying, I just moved from Ann Arbor this year. The only place I ever took my TJ was The Mounds. With a Mechanical Engineering degree I'm part of the dime-a-dozen crowd, although I moved out here because Ft. Lewis is my first duty station.

But let me get something straight: the existence of places to take your Jeep is going to have a significant factor whether or not you're going to move 2400 miles away, or have you already decided to make the move?
Unread 12-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_c
very few trails in the PNW that cant be done by a bolt on TJ with 35's. Not at all what I consider hardcore. There aren't really any complete trails that would challenge a buggy, mostly just obstacles here and there and a couple of play areas.
Have you ever been to Idaho?

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/feature...ing/index.html
Unread 12-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Um. . . There are rock crawling areas in WA, sure, but not to the extent of other areas of the country. The trails are fun and entertaining with some great scenery but not "hardcore" such as you see in magazines and such. The eastern side of the mountains is drier with great vistas and scenery that open up on the trails and miles and miles of area to explore. The western side is wetter with dense, lush evergreen forests.

The key to Washington's wheel'n opportunities is "variety," you get a taste of everything here. The benefit is that there are plenty of areas to go wheel'n that are close to Seattle. The following are approximate drive times from downtown Seattle:

Within a 1 hr Drive:

Reiter Trails ORV area
A fun area in the foothills of the Cascade mountains. A few abondon mines dot the wooded area. There are some creek crossings, a tall 700 ft cliff overlook, lots of mud puddles, and some nasty, slick boulder gardens to play in. This place is frequented by custom rock buggies and such. Elevation is pretty low so the chance of snow is remote.

. .
click to enlarge

Walker Valley ORV Park
A little further up north near this is getting to be a fun area. No rock crawling but the trails are entertaining enough for medium-to-full day of wheel'n and it's definitely worth the trip at some point for a change of pace. Like most Western WA trails they get muddy and slick with a mix of logs, rocks, stumps, and puddles to driver over and through.

. . .
click to enlarge

Evan's Creek ORV Park
Probably one of the most popular ORV parks in the area this is sited at about 4000 ft of elevation in the foot hills at the base of Mt. Rainier. In fact, you can look right at the side of the 14,400+ ft tall mountain from an overlook on a trail. Trail difficulty goes up in the rainy season (Spring or Fall) with slick mud on everything, it gets easier when its dry (summer) and is virtually shut down in winter under 3-5 ft of snow for all but the insane. Many steep, tight, twisty mountain trails. Dark, lush, desne NW forests cling to the sides of the mountains in the ORV park providing a nice place to Jeep.

. .
click to enlarge

[ continued . . . ]
Unread 12-17-2007, 06:21 PM   #8
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

[ continued from above ]

Within a 2 hr Drive:

Libery / Table Mountain area
In the Cascade mountain range but on the eastern side. Forests are dry, some of the trails aren't super difficult. . .unless it rains. Then they're slicker 'n snot. Combined with steep climbs and descents it can be difficult. Still learning about the more challenging trails in this area. Definiely an area I want to check out more. About 85 miles from Seattle off I-90. Many places to go camping. And there are some active small-time mining operating still going on.

click to enlarge

Elbe Hills ORV Park
This place is short on trail miles but long on difficulty. Replace rock crawling with stump and root crawling . . . then cover everything in slime. Bingo. If you get bored and bummed about never using your winch, go here. Expect body damage.

click to enlarge

Naches Trail
An easy but fun and historic trail that crosses from western Washington into eastern Washington over the Cascade mountain range entirely by 4x4 Jeep trail. The route follows the historic Longmire wagon train of 1853 that was re-opened by Jeepers on its centenial in 1953 and has been used as a 4x4 Jeep route ever since. Route is open from July to November, closed in the winter due to trecherous snow conditions. It crosses the Pacific Crest Trail (a hiking route from Mexico to Canada) and stops at Government Meadows, the site of the Longmire camp where they prepped for their decent down the cliffs. The trail dumps you into the Naches Basin in Eastern Washington at the southern edge of Manastash Ridge.

click to enlarge

Manastash Ridge
115 square miles of offroading trails and camping right in the middle of a series of ridges on the eastern edge of the Cascade Mountains under gorgeous blue skies. This place is accessible from the north by a brisk 100 mi drive on I-90 or the south via Hwy 410, or from the Naches Trail. Dry fir forests enclose much of the trails but high meadows break out from the trees and there are several stunning vistas. There are a few hidden lakes you can get close to with a short, final hike by foot. Raven's Roost trail tops out at 6300 ft with great views all around.

There are also a couple ROCK CRAWLING areas called Funnyrocks and Moonrocks where you can play at your own risk. (one "trail" is called Can Opener).

. . .
. .
click to enlarge

[ continued . . . ]
Unread 12-17-2007, 06:23 PM   #9
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

[ continued from above]

Within a 3+ hr Drive:

Rimrock
A big, expansive area that climbs straight up and down the sides of a few ridges in this area 3.5 hours SE of Seattle. From a few key vantage points you can pick off about 3-5 major mountains as well as getting a good look at the rest of the mountain range. Go power boating or jet skiing in Rimrock Lake at the foot of the trails or some easy white water rafting when they release water from the lake at the end of summer.

My club goes on an anual pilgrimage to this place and usually spends about 2 weeks here each year camping and Jeeping.

Did I mention the trails are steep? Make sure you have good brakes.

. .
. .
click to enlarge

Moses Lake Dune area
Never been here but there are about 4 square miles of gravely sand dunes and general Jeep'n. Maybe someday I'll get out there, about 3 hrs from home.

Tillamook State Forest (Oregon)
Sort of close by in Oregon, about 3.5-4 hrs from Seattle. Haven't been here but it's said to have some intense trails.

Oh, and Idaho . . . it's a half day drive away. Leave at 8am and you can be in Idaho by 2pm. It's a 6 hr, 300 mile drive straight across the state. Not sure where the rock crawling is once you cross the state line but it's not "too" far away.

And I hear Moab, UT is a long 2-day drive away, too. . . not "too" far for a vacation.

Last edited by lupinsea; 12-17-2007 at 06:37 PM..
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #10
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitham_wannabe
So Chrysler's bombing, it's time to get out.

If I come over to Boeing in Seattle, is there sufficient hard rockcrawling to do in the area, or should I leave my Jeep here? Being in MI, I'm used to driving 6 to 8 hours to get anywhere with good terrain, so it's got to be better than that, right?

Cheers!!
Are you really a Jeep Design Engineer? Can we blame you for the JK?
Seriously, what do you do?
Everything I need to fix on the heep: ABS indicator, speed 4 on the blower fan, torn softop over driver's head, both seat release/tilt cables, missing center cap on spare, broken under hood light, wire up the CB, wiring problem with the reverse lights, broken bottle jack, leaky front and rear pinion seals, loose trackbar relocation bracket, torn drivers seat on the side, broken center console lock, lost nuts for door hinges, squeaking centering ball, loose parking brake cable, oil change and rotate the tires.
My build threadhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/free-wife-good-home-pics-included-528892/
dogbluedrummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.