Good easy trails in Western WA? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Good easy trails in Western WA?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Good easy trails in Western WA?

I've got a few Hummer and Porsche Cayenne owners I work with who have never actually been offroad (shocker, I know), and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good light trails to start em out on, maybe convert them to Jeep owners down the road?

Most live in or around Seattle. Ideally would like to find a place they could get off the pavement, and then eventually head off in something more aggressive in the JK only, just to show them the difference.

Unread 03-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteDriver View Post
I've got a few Hummer and Porsche Cayenne owners I work with who have never actually been offroad (shocker, I know)
Go figure...

Take/tell them to go to any Forest Service Road off of US-2, I-90, 410 etc. They're very easy and there are some great views on some of them, too. Be aware a Forest Service Pass is generally required. They're available for purchase online directly from the Forest Service: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/passespermits/nwfp.shtml If they can afford to feed a Hummer or Cayenne, then they can afford the permit/pass.

The trails are very easy. Biggest problem they'll encounter is the occasional brush with a bush, but, the scratch's will add character to their rig(s)! Did I mention turning around? And oh yeah, one more thing: the snow...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
CrazyWalnut13
2000 WJ 

Take them to Tinkham Rd off of I-90. Take either 42 or 47, it's a loop. Basically the road between those two exits is just maintained gravel with many potholes. But about 1.5-2 miles from exit 47, there's a road that goes up the mountain. That road is maintained gravel, but the farther you go up, the harder it gets. There are a whole bunch of different roads that branch off from that main road that get more difficult towards the top.

To give an idea of difficulty. There was only 1 road that I haven't driven up there because I was unable to. But the last time I was there was when I was stock and it shouldn't be a problem for me to make it there now.

But the bad thing is that all those roads will be covered in snow until mid-June.

There are also lots of fun roads around Stampede Pass which is about 20 miles farther down I-90, but those also have the snow problem and I'm not sure you'd want to drive that far.

You can bring them to Tahuya tomorrow with us
I'd be willing to let a yuppy cayenne driver ride along with me. It'll be my first time at Tahuya btw.
Formerly Default Jeeper #13
2000 WJ Limited 4.7 with stuff. Look left for the deets.
CrazyWalnut13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
kurtfriedrich
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I've got a few Hummer and Porsche Cayenne owners I work with who have never actually been offroad (shocker, I know), and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good light trails to start em out on, maybe convert them to Jeep owners down the road?

Most live in or around Seattle. Ideally would like to find a place they could get off the pavement, and then eventually head off in something more aggressive in the JK only, just to show them the difference.
If they want more than bumpy roads that cars often drive on, there are plenty of trails in Tahuya where they could run without problems. However I can't imagine a Porsche owner would like pinstripes, and that would be a problem.

Kurt
Unread 03-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
deltabravo

That forest pass thing is only required when parking at a trail head, or when using the trails at Evans Creek.

go to the ranger district's website of the USFS website and you can find out where the pass is required.

I've driven thousands of miles of USFS roads here in WA and have never needed that pass when "driving". Generally it's only required at trail head parking areas (hiker / horse trails) where you park and leave your rig unattended.
deltabravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabravo View Post
That forest pass thing is only required when parking at a trail head, or when using the trails at Evans Creek.

go to the ranger district's website of the USFS website and you can find out where the pass is required.

I've driven thousands of miles of USFS roads here in WA and have never needed that pass when "driving". Generally it's only required at trail head parking areas (hiker / horse trails) where you park and leave your rig unattended.
Really? I didn't know that. I thought that driving around the Forest Service Roads constituted "day-use". You mean I could have saved my $30? Thanks for the clarification, Delta...

Here's a link to the site: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/passespermits/sites.shtml
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'd consider portions of Manastash Ridge in eastern WA. I think they could handle that, like Buck Meadows trail or Frost Mountain or Manastash Ridge Road/trail. Maybe even the Naches trail. Not the steep western part but once you get up top a little. The bridging sections may cause them problems due to approach / breakover angles. Great scenery, beautiful views.

Portions of the Liberty / Table mountain area would be good.

And some of the trails north of Cle Elum / Salmon La Sac that head up to Gallagher Head Lake and the Van Eeps trails and such like that.

And there are "some" trails at Reiter that wouldn't be too bad. Under the power lines and some trails to the east and slightly south of the powerlines.

Don't underestimate what the Hummers and Cayannes can do, I've seen some of the testing they went through and it was pretty impressive. I think Porsche did some testing with the Cayanne at Moab and it did decently . . . don't overestimate either. Because while they may have the traction to get some place, they may not be able to do it without inccuring some body damage. And that would be an easy way to turn people off to 4-wheel'n.

That said, I think the above suggestions are good. They're some semi-challenging trails that require 4WD but aren't too bad and have trails that are do-able for most SUVs. Yet there are also much tougher trails in the same trail networks for a good demonstration of what a Jeep can do.

And definitely make sure to do a good job of spotting if the driver's start feeling uncomfortable. As I say, I'd guess they'd get real turned off to offroading if they got their expensive SUVs banged up.
Unread 03-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Walker Valley OHV Area is southeast of Mount Vernon near Hwy 9.
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, these are good suggestions - been to some myself, but hadn't paid much attention.

And yeah, the pinstriping part would be an issue for some of them.

I'll check in closer to summer to set something up, maybe bring a local Jeep contingent along. I hate the fact that even though I'm getting the spring itch to get out again, the snows will still be around for quite some time...

And sorry I missed Tahuya - I've been dying to go there eventually, as I rarely get across the Sound, and mostly go east/north. I do want to make one of these runs, but the family had plans this weekend.
Unread 03-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #10
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyWalnut13 View Post
Take them to Tinkham Rd off of I-90. Take either 42 or 47, it's a loop. Basically the road between those two exits is just maintained gravel with many potholes. But about 1.5-2 miles from exit 47, there's a road that goes up the mountain. That road is maintained gravel, but the farther you go up, the harder it gets. There are a whole bunch of different roads that branch off from that main road that get more difficult towards the top.
I've been there a few times, scratched the crap out of my JK about three months after I got it. It's when I learned how wide the JK really was. Forgot about that place - good call.

Although I also think I got around to the backside, and a buddy nearly dropped his Jeep over the side. On NF-9020 (I think) where it gets to be all loose slate rocks, his LJ was sliding, and it bit when he had it turned wrong. Dropped the front right off the trail, with a good 500 ft drop off. He didn't have lockers either, and his back-end was up in the air. We got him out, but holy $%^#@.
Unread 03-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #11
ABerry
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Don't underestimate what the Cayannes can do, I've seen some of the testing they went through and it was pretty impressive.
damn impressive to me! haha ... jk the best part is at 9:25

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7ljv1ChyVAw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7ljv1ChyVAw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]
Unread 03-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #12
CrazyWalnut13
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Thanks, these are good suggestions - been to some myself, but hadn't paid much attention.

And yeah, the pinstriping part would be an issue for some of them.

I'll check in closer to summer to set something up, maybe bring a local Jeep contingent along. I hate the fact that even though I'm getting the spring itch to get out again, the snows will still be around for quite some time...

And sorry I missed Tahuya - I've been dying to go there eventually, as I rarely get across the Sound, and mostly go east/north. I do want to make one of these runs, but the family had plans this weekend.
Nah we didn't end up going. Dean has a tough work/family schedule to get around. Apparently he may have been able to go yesterday, but I didn't log on here and check the thread in time to see that. I may head down to Tahuya tomorrow though.

Tomorrow I need to pack up and get ready to drive back to Mt and I'm taking the parent's 330Ci up to Chuckanut drive near bellingham some time. So I'm trying to figure out if I'll also have time to do some wheeling.

But my Tahuya adventure may have to wait until May when I'm done with school.
Formerly Default Jeeper #13
2000 WJ Limited 4.7 with stuff. Look left for the deets.
CrazyWalnut13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
BulldogTJ98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

We did tahuya in a stock hummer with hardly any scratches. Its too easy, but fun! Its as hard as you wanna make it! Good times. good luck.
Later

[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="Orange"]'98 TJ 4.0L, AX-15 5spd, NP231, RE 4.5 rear, 3"&.75" BB front, JKS discos, 33x12.50 KM2s on Rock Crawlers, 3.73s, Dana30 front, Dana 44 rear, JB Conversions SS SYE, JKS HD Tierod, Warn 8274 Winch, Front Stinger and Rear stinger w/ tire carrier, Rokmen Corners, Aluminum Radiator, LED tailights, Rock Lights, KCs, K&N airfilter, Optima Redtop, Cobra CB and a Sony soundbar[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
BulldogTJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABerry View Post
damn impressive to me! haha ... jk the best part is at 9:25

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7ljv1ChyVAw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7ljv1ChyVAw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]
Yeah, that is pretty good, especially the running commentary. But you have to admit that in that slick muck the low-profile all-season road tires are a major hinderance.

If the Cayenne can get "ok" traction it can usually pull it self through ok due to the traction control system. Definitely not the articulation.

[YT]4ps0QNZoYW4[/YT]

I'm just saying that it'll do as well as any typical SUV so pick trails accordingly.

And FWIW, I think Walker Valley would probably be a bad idea. I was up there this last saturday and I think the choice of rigs (Hummer / Cayenne) would get beat up there.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.