Forest Service Roads - Quilcene Ridge - Olympic National Mountains Park, anyone been? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Forest Service Roads - Quilcene Ridge - Olympic National Mountains Park, anyone been?

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 08-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

Forest Service Roads - Quilcene Ridge - Olympic National Mountains Park, anyone been?

Hey guys,

Anyone explored the forest service roads along Quilcene Ridge? Starting at Little Quilcene Road and heading into NFD 2812 to NFD 2854 and NFD 2752.

Anything interesting? Good views? Is there any challenge on these trails or are they basically dirt roads?

Just curious, it seems like it takes you up to some peaks, just wanna know if it's worth exploring.

"The Smurf": --Pic 1-- --Pic 2-- --Pic 3-- --Pic 4--
Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--
BrettDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I usually don't hit Forest Service roads expecting much challenge. They're usually just gravel roads.

But if you're looking for some general exploration without pushing things they should be good. Specifically I'm not familiar with the roads you're referring to, however.
Unread 08-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I've been up in the Olympic National Forest often. I'll have to look at my maps to see if I've traveled down any of those roads, but I have a blast up there. Most are just dirt roads, some in slightly crappy condition with ruts and potholes. Most of the time the only reason I use 4WD is to control speed down hills and to provide a bit more traction heading up.

Still, If you like looking at mountains and forest, seeing some cool waterfalls and streams, etc... it's worth the trip. The good thing for us is that in about an hour we can be on dirt roads. I enjoy just picking random roads up there and driving down them until either they end or I come out somewhere. Most are on my GPS.

If you do any camping, you can camp free on Forest Service lands (dispersed camping). There are a few rules, but basically you just find a spot off the main roads and go for it. We haven't camped in the Olympic National Forest yet, but did go down to Gifford Pinchot. I plan on making a trip up that way in a couple of weeks with my sons to scope out some spots.

Looking at the maps right now, I'm sure I've been down the 2812. Did that before I had the Jeep, it's more of a main road, but several rougher roads branch off from it.

I've also went out past Port Angeles and found some pretty decent spots up there as well as down by Hoodsport and just outside of Shelton.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

This link provides information on the numbering system and how it pertains to the type of road.

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation...rest-roads.pdf

More information that I just thought of.

The Forest Service Ranger Station in Quilcene has several maps available. One for the entire forest costs about $10. They also have more detailed maps (two-color) for each individual ranger district. I have the one for that area ($5). The maps in this book are decent too, it's available at the Kitsap Mall.

Last edited by McKBrew; 08-18-2009 at 12:50 PM..
Unread 08-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

I prefer a challenge, but I also want scenery for the fiancée riding along. Quilcene is only an hour north, gonna try and go if I can get out of work early one day. Save the weekend for further destinations.
"The Smurf": --Pic 1-- --Pic 2-- --Pic 3-- --Pic 4--
Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--
BrettDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDez View Post
I prefer a challenge, but I also want scenery for the fiancée riding along. Quilcene is only an hour north, gonna try and go if I can get out of work early one day. Save the weekend for further destinations.
Depending on which roads you take, quite a few will bring you out in Sequim. Sometimes I'll head in on that end, and come out on the Quilcene side.
Unread 09-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
Mykdiver
1997 ZJ 

I have been up there many times. My friends and I go up there every year to cut our own Christmas trees and have some fun in the snow.
There are many great veiws if it is a nice day!

[B]OPTIONS:[/B] 4X4/AWD, 5.2L (318) V-8, PW, PDL, PS, PDB, A/C, Pwr Seats, Leather, Pwr Moon roof, Tow pack, Tow hooks
[B]MODS:[/B] Rough Country 4" Lift, 31" G/T Adventuro MTs(siped), Rear Aussie Locker, Cobra CB, Vent visors, K&N filter, tint, Sylvania Silverstar bulbs
[B]FUTURE PLANS:[/B] Swaybar disconnects, Adjustable track bars, Custom bumpers, Winch, Rock sliders, Braided brake lines, Headers, Exhaust, Mild rebuild on the 318, OD green paint job[/color]
[url=http://michaelsbarefootrunning.blogspot.com/][COLOR="Sienna"]My Barefoot Running Blog[/COLOR][/url]
[url=http://forum.minimalistrunner.com][color=sienna]My Minimalist Running Forum[/color][/url][/center]

/ []__[\,[____],
l--L--L----–olllllllo-
(o)_)---(o)_)--o-)_)
Mykdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

After last weekend I definitely have some cool places for you to check out if you are interested in views. No difficult roads but I found this spot where you can see pretty much the entire Northeast side of the Olympic Peninsula, the Hood Canal Bridge, and a bit more. Other than on the paved FS roads I think I might have passed a total of three other vehicles.
Unread 09-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
Mykdiver
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
Depending on which roads you take, quite a few will bring you out in Sequim. Sometimes I'll head in on that end, and come out on the Quilcene side.
I like doing that also. I used to hunt a lot up in that area also, there is some really good deer hunting up there.

[B]OPTIONS:[/B] 4X4/AWD, 5.2L (318) V-8, PW, PDL, PS, PDB, A/C, Pwr Seats, Leather, Pwr Moon roof, Tow pack, Tow hooks
[B]MODS:[/B] Rough Country 4" Lift, 31" G/T Adventuro MTs(siped), Rear Aussie Locker, Cobra CB, Vent visors, K&N filter, tint, Sylvania Silverstar bulbs
[B]FUTURE PLANS:[/B] Swaybar disconnects, Adjustable track bars, Custom bumpers, Winch, Rock sliders, Braided brake lines, Headers, Exhaust, Mild rebuild on the 318, OD green paint job[/color]
[url=http://michaelsbarefootrunning.blogspot.com/][COLOR="Sienna"]My Barefoot Running Blog[/COLOR][/url]
[url=http://forum.minimalistrunner.com][color=sienna]My Minimalist Running Forum[/color][/url][/center]

/ []__[\,[____],
l--L--L----–olllllllo-
(o)_)---(o)_)--o-)_)
Mykdiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.