Forest service roads - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Forest service roads

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Forest service roads

Does anybody go out on the forest service roads? I just got the Benchmark Washington road atlas. I found alot of forest service roads, and some 4x4 reccomended roads. Does anybody ride on them? I'm looking at going to tiger mountain tomorrow. I'm just hoping it's not a regular street I don't really need a big challenge my jeep is still stock right now.

Any guidance on the forest roads?

rs4race is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
redjeepguy1

i think Tiger Mountain is only open to bikes and hikers.... at least the access point which is at the summit of tiger mtn highway 18 is only hiker/mtn bike
Unread 08-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ah. Ok. I might have to plan an alternative then. I see a bunch of service roads particulary 57. I wish I knew a place to get this info bit so far this map book has been the only thing to show me anything.

Anybody have any good resources where I can look up the roads I'm finding in this book?
Unread 08-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
keaton
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I like goin up on FS 70.
keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
deltabravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton View Post
I like goin up on FS 70.
Yep. I can drive FR70 blind folded. I do it on my bike and in the Jeep.
deltabravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 01:02 AM   #6
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

alrighty so my plan is to head out on i90 and stop by the ranger station in north bend. Theres alot of closures and supposedly free maps there so I will check in there.

Or head down to 70 and check in at the station in enumclaw.

It looks like on the map that 54 goes all the way across. looks kinda cool I wouldnt mind doing a run like that but it looks pretty long.

Ill check back here before I leave tomorrow for any other suggestions, but I will definatly let you guys know how my run goes. Ill try to take some pictures too.
just fore clarification does 70 lead to naches? It looks like it on the map.
Unread 08-28-2009, 06:39 AM   #7
keaton
2003 TJ Wrangler 

IIRC the beginning of naches is right up there.
keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Forest service roads are a blast to me. Most aren't super challenging, but you never know what you might find. It's even more fun to pick a random on and see where it goes or dead ends.

That's just me though, I enjoy being in the woods.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Your stock Jeep is a lot more capable than you know. Just by disconnecting and airing down (yes even with stock tires) and with a good spotter - your Jeep can truly push the "trail rated" designation to its limit.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #10
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandTJ View Post
Your stock Jeep is a lot more capable than you know. Just by disconnecting and airing down (yes even with stock tires) and with a good spotter - your Jeep can truly push the "trail rated" designation to its limit.
Agree 100%. You might scrape the skid plate on some trails, but that is what it's there for.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
SnoqulmieTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Are you from belleview, or is that just the nearest city?. if you are then you should hit liberty. there are some great fs roads out in the cle elem valley area as well. The one trail i want to run the most is the fortune creek trails.

99 tj 4" lift 33" procomp mt. High Jack lift the most underrated tool you can buy hands down!
SnoqulmieTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Duck Dodgers
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Somewhere between the Port of Indecision and South of Disorder
Don't forget some DNR roads go when the heck up and gone into the woods. Just don't forget it's bear season so if you get out and wander around make sure your not mistaken as a target.
Unread 08-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Alright guys so I went up fs 70. It was paved for a long time, but thankfully it turned into some gravel. The first obstacle I found was in an old rock quarry looking place off the side and ran up a little hill. Later on the road I turned off on I think fs7065 or 7060. Up the hill there was a side trail that was pretty steep and initially I lost traction in some mud, but a second try with more momentum got me thru that very easily. Up to the top of that trail there was a big clearing, we looked around for a bit and my buddy got stung so we headed out. Back up 70 and we took a couple random side roads, and a couple trails with dead ends. All the way down 70 we took the right... It led to some horse trails. Going left we ran into a couple guys in a jeep and a bronco. We asked if it was the naches trail and they told us they just came from the right (east) and were heading to the left (west) we took a second to get some food, and then took the trail to the west.

Well all that I can say is that there were alot of parts I thought I wouldn't make. It kept getting crazier as we went. A few miles down the road we passed a forest road but I had to keep going. We were passed by some motorcycles, and figured if they came from there the road must be up ahead. Originally we were following the tracks of the other trucks but they stopped about where the bikes passed us. That's about where the trail got really gnarly. Down about a half a mile and just missing some tree trunks the trail got really bad so we turned around. Made it back up just fine. Got back out onto 70 and realized we weren't so far down the trail. But it was already 4pm so it was time to head out.

Anyways for my first time out I had tons of fun, I got a couple good pictures and my jeep is pretty dirty now. I would reccomend 70 to anybody but if your not that brave stay off of the trail, most of it for me was basically on a ridgeline.

I got to snap a few pics, but my cameraman was too busy holdig onto the o **** handle to get them. I'm posting this from my iPhone too so I will have to put the pics up when I get on my computer.

Oh and yes I'm in Bellevue, more specifically Newcastle.
Unread 08-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #14
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
Agree 100%. You might scrape the skid plate on some trails, but that is what it's there for.
I definatly agree there were some times where I was just thinking a stock(my) jeep shouldn't be able to do this
Unread 08-31-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you had a good time and it's great you got out on the Naches!

If you have more time the trail will drop you into the Naches Basin off Hwy 410 in eastern Washington. From there you can climb up and over Manastash Ridge which is a 115 sq mile piece of territory criss-crossed by 4x4 and motorbike trails. LOTS of stuff to keep you entertained for days. Great place to go camping, too. And you're stock Jeep should be able to handle most of it with ease. You can exit from the Manastash Ridge area to the north and hit I-90 near Cle Elum or Ellensburg.

An alternative are the trails north of Cle Elum and Roslyn. We just did the Fortune Creek trail this Saturday with a fellow in his Landrover LR3. They're fun but probably a smidge easier than the Naches. Again, good places to work in some camping, too.

Someone mentioned Libery, that's another good area for some intro wheel'n trails and there's some tougher stuff as well.

And there are a number of places / trails at Reiter you can have fun on as well. I might recommend Reiter for mid-to-late October. There are a number of big maple trees in the lower forest area that have great fall color about that time of year.

If you want to step it up a bit check out Evan's Creek, the harder trails at Rieter, and Walker Valley.

Here are some trip reports / photos from some recent runs:

North Cle Elum (Fortune Creek Trail) - Trip Report
North Cle Elum (Fortune Creek Trail) - Photos

Naches - Manastash 4-day Expedition - Trip Report
Naches - Manastash 4-day Expedition - Photos

Some pictures to get you thinking . . .

Landrover on the Fortune Creek trail in the North Cle Elum area.

Hawkins Mountain trail at the end of the Fortune
Creek trail north of Cle Elum.

Fortune Creek Trail (lower portion) north of Cle Elum.

Manastash Ridge area just east of Moonrocks.

Tipover Trail in the Manastash Area.

Reiter Trails under the power lines.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.