Ford 8.8 axles and where to find them? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Ford 8.8 axles and where to find them?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Unread 06-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
branjmb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ford 8.8 axles and where to find them?

Hey washington, I was wondering if any of you knew a promising place to look for Ford 8.8 Axles? Craigslist is not looking so good and ebay is a Pain in the ***.

Any junk yards or pick-and-pull type places that generally have these axles? I was thinking maybe they hold their value too well to even make it to the junk yards...?

Well let me know if you have any advice or know where one is specifically!

much appreciated!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/broke-students-jeep-build-1264853/"]YJ BUILD THREAD/[/URL]
branjmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
cafetony

there are two right know on craigslist Oregon (portland)
cafetony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
opticalwaveguy
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Use this site: www.car-part.com
I swear by them. These are for used parts at part yards. Often the places that list a part have more than they actually listed.
Proud To Be A FF/EMT/Police/Military Club Member #2
opticalwaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Sandhara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

x2 for car-part.com

Im sorry, some times i drink and post stupid comments.
Sandhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The Ford 8.8 axle was used in a lot of Ford vehicles..... However, all Ford 8.8 axles are NOT the same. Ford used the 8.8 axle in Ranger trucks, Mustangs, Exploders, and no telling how other vehicles. The axles you want will be out of a 1996? or newer (disc brakes), Ford Exploder. If the Exploder has a v-8, it's a bonus. In bone yards, the 8.8 should sell for $75.00 to $500 depending upon the gear ratio. You pay more for the 4.11 ratio.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
opticalwaveguy
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
The Ford 8.8 axle was used in a lot of Ford vehicles..... However, all Ford 8.8 axles are NOT the same. Ford used the 8.8 axle in Ranger trucks, Mustangs, Exploders, and no telling how other vehicles. The axles you want will be out of a 1996? or newer (disc brakes), Ford Exploder. If the Exploder has a v-8, it's a bonus.
Make sure you are completely positive you are looking for the right gear ratio. There are some parts on the V8 that you don't use like the antilock brake equip. Its OK that it's there, you just don't use it. Look through the forum for how to connect and adjust the new axle before you buy so you know what kind of questions to ask at the yard.
Proud To Be A FF/EMT/Police/Military Club Member #2
opticalwaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

When I did my 8.8 swap, I purchased the Rubicon? Proportioning valve that was recommended, but I never installed it. Now 6 years later, that valve is still in the box that I received it in.
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
cycleguy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
When I did my 8.8 swap, I purchased the Rubicon? Proportioning valve that was recommended, but I never installed it. Now 6 years later, that valve is still in the box that I received it in.
I got mine out of a '96 Explorer. Pick N Pull in Tacoma will sell you one for $250 regardless of gear ratio, and if you wait for their bi-annual 50% off sale it will be $125, which is what I paid. Their next sale should be around November. They have plenty! At least 10 that I saw!

I may be able to sell you mine because I'm thinking of going with a full width ford 9" rear and Dana 44 front. I'd let it go for 150. Advantage is you wouldn't have to pull it out of a vehicle, just out of my shed. Let me know if you're interested.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
I got mine out of a '96 Explorer. Pick N Pull in Tacoma will sell you one for $250 regardless of gear ratio, and if you wait for their bi-annual 50% off sale it will be $125, which is what I paid. Their next sale should be around November. They have plenty! At least 10 that I saw!

I may be able to sell you mine because I'm thinking of going with a full width ford 9" rear and Dana 44 front. I'd let it go for 150. Advantage is you wouldn't have to pull it out of a vehicle, just out of my shed. Let me know if you're interested.
In case anyone on the East end of the USA is interested, there was an 8.8 axle that was setup and ready to bolt into a TJ posted in the Nashville, TN Craigslist. I think seller was asking $500.00 for it. I don't know anything about seller or axle, just something I saw recently.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.