Ferry to Tahuya from Seattle? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Ferry to Tahuya from Seattle?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #31
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjeepguy1 View Post
I got bored yesterday and went to Tahuya, and bent a wheel on a big rock :-(
I remember taking a chunk out of my front drivers wheel on a rock out there at Tahuya a year or so ago, too!

Below, this was at Evans Creek today...I got sucked into the ditch on the left where you see those guys standing. To get out, I kept up my momentum for about 200' until I popped out. I popped out and went straight across the road and just missed dropping about a hundred feet down the embankment, stopped by that big tree. As soon as more pics are available I'll post a thread/write-up.

About 18" of packed snow on that access road...

ec6030.jpg  
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #32
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Did you ever pick up new tires, John? I seem to recall your KM2s being just about done-for....which really doesn't do you and favors in the snow. Glad to see you didn't get hurt!
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #33
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

John,

I've seen that same pic on about three different forums now.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #34
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Richard~

Tires? No, not yet...life has a way of visiting all these things I have to do upon me, and not allowing me the time/resources to do the things I WANT to do...what's up with that anyway? I plan on getting some new shoes for my mistress sometime this winter/Spring.
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #35
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
John,

I've seen that same pic on about three different forums now.
Oh yay...another lesson in humility! But, no damage! A small group of PNWJepp guys got my butt out. I'm in their debt... And for the record, no I wasn't alone. I was following RBXj back to the trailhead. We spent part of our afternoon out there checking things out. Great day, no carnage just some more life lessons...
Unread 12-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #36
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

To the OP. Another semi-near by place is up at Walker Valley. They have a variety of trails that range from easy to more difficult. It's about an hour north of Seattle east of I-5 and Mt. Vernon.

Here is a direct link to the Walker Valley page on my website. You can download the WA State DNR trail map from there.

Reiter used to be another good place to go. Combo of easy and tough trails up there without a whole lot in between. On the eastern edge of Gold Bar, WA. But parts of the old trail system have been shut down and the DNR is redoing things up there. So I don't now what the current state of the trails are in.

I can't remember exactly what thread it was in but I posted a good list of the main ORV trail areas for WA state with approximate driving distances to them.

I don't think it was this post but this does have a list I wrote up for someone new to the state or Jeep'n.
Unread 12-09-2010, 03:41 AM   #37
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

Thanks, lupinsea :-)
Lordwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #38
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

No problem.

Also, when the weather improves . . . if you go straight out I-90 about 1.5 - 2 hrs you'll hit some good areas there. I can give you more info later but:

Easy: North Cle Elum trails
Several former mining roads that are deteriorating into some modest trails. They're easy but they also take you up into some beautiful territory in the heart of the Cascades on the eastern side of the range. Eventually top out at 6,000 ft of elevation with good views at the highest reaches. A favorite is the trail that heads up to Gallagher Head Lake (a small, pristine alpine lake ringed by rocky peaks). Fortune Creek Trail I think it's called. There are only about 3-4 trails up in this area. I think the trails open mid / late June once the snow is clear.

More Difficult / Mixed: Libertt / Table Mountain
Lots of trails surrounding this town on either side of Hwy 97 just north of Cle Elum. Plenty of camping. Steep trails. Not necessarily a lot of rocks and logs to climb over but any hint of moisture and the clay based trails get slick as snot.

More Difficult / Mixed: Manastash
South of Cle Elum and Ellensburg this is one of my favorite areas in the entire state. LOTS to see here with almost 100 miles of trails (vs. ~16-20 miles at Evan's Creek). The trails range over 115 sq miles of territory. There's some rock crawling, hidden lakes, rock gardens, steep climbs, surreal landscapes, beautiful meadows, ridge lines, you name it. The bonus is that you CAN get here via 4x4 trail that starts on the western side of the Cascades. Head out of Enumclaw along Hwy 410 toward the mountains, you'll pass through the town of Greenwater. Just past that town take a left on Forest Service Rd 70. it'll eventually lead you to the trail head to The Naches Trail.

Easy-ish: Naches Trail
I love the historic nature of this trail. It was an old wagon train route dating back to 1853 and the Longmire Wagon train. The trail was opened to Jeeps on its centennial in 1953 by a bunch of Jeepers in old WWII Jeeps. It's been run ever since. Near the actual pass is Government Meadows and the crossing of the Pacific Crest Trail (a hiking trail that stretches from the Canadian border to the Mexican border). This is where the pioneers camped for 2 days before lowering their wagons down cliff faces with oxen and ropes.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.