Evan's Creek Trail Run (Nov 10th) - Who Wants To Go? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Evan's Creek Trail Run (Nov 10th) - Who Wants To Go?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 11-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #16
maverick2107
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea
Oh, and Dean, get at least one tow hook mounted up front! We "might" be doing some winching depending on how slick the trails are this time.
Where can I get a tow hook around here? Ill google it. When are we going? I'm lost. There was a trip today I missed and two next weekend I think.

maverick2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #17
maverick2107
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The day/time on here is all f'ed up
Unread 11-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #18
1982cj8
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
For certain it'll be me and one other TJ. My friend with his 4-door JK might join us but he said he's going to stay off the 197 trail (he bashed his rig up too much last time). So either we skip that or he does a ride-along with someone for just that trail. And there might be one other fellow but . . . it sort of sounds like a long shot that he'll join us.

So, 2 for certain, plus maybe 2 more.

I'd say feel free to invite some other Jeepers from base.

As far as I know, we do not need any passes. Evan's Creek is run by the Forest Service which uses the Northwest Forest Pass but that is only needed if we park at the trailheads (if we were to trailer a rig in, for instance). To spend the night at the campground it is a separate fee. But for running the trails we don't need a pass.

And just FYI: The Discover Passes are only good for State lands administered by the DNR or Fish & Wildlife. . . This means Walker Valley, Tahuya, Elbe Hills, and Reiter (whenever it's open again).
You can get the pass at the Burnett store, we were told by the ranger you had to have a pass even if not using a tow vehicle. Their reasoning is you will have to park or use the day use area at some time so you need a pass. It is only $5 for the day.

4X4XNORTHWEST.COM
1982cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
Hey thanks!

Haha! Yeah well depending on how rough of a night it is I might just do that. I'll know more on Wednesday/Thursday what's actually going to happen.
Cool. Hope you can make it.

I just found out on Saturday that my frame-side front track mount has cracked AND it's tearing off the frame. Joy. Sunday I spent several hours with a dremel tool grinding out the crack and getting it prepped for welding. Tonight I'm tackling the welding and getting a reinforcing brace set up.

Kind of a good thing I had to replace my worn tie rod end or I might not have noticed until the TB bracket fully tore off!

Anyways, repairs are on track so I'll be ready for Saturday. Can't wait to hit the trails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
Do I need to find any tow straps or jerry cans? Not sure how long the trails are.
Recovery Gear
Tow straps and other basic recovery gear is always a good thing to have. If you're into offroading at all regularly I'd make the investment in a good set up. And it wouldn't hurt to have it for this Saturday. However, I'll be bringing my recovery kit which will be sufficient for everyone.

The biggest deal is having adequate and safe recovery points. Recovery gear doesn't do much if there isn't a way of safely attaching it to a vehicle.

Jerry Cans
Extra fuel is not necessary at Evan's Creek. We won't be far from the nearest gas station and the trails are not that long. Each trail in the networks is maybe 1-3 miles long, totaling about 18 miles together.

And as a point of reference, unless your rig burns through the gas at an unusually high rate, the ONLY trail system in the entire state of WA that I bring extra gas to is Rimrock. With a typical TJ, for example, I can get about 2-days of wheel'n before needing to fuel up. Evan on my 4-day Manastash trips I don't bring any spare fuel and just fill up at Whistling Jack's mid-way through the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick2107
Where can I get a tow hook around here? Ill google it. When are we going? I'm lost. There was a trip today I missed and two next weekend I think.
Tow Hooks
You can check at the auto parts stores or the 4x4 shops. Just pick up the black forged steel tow-hooks, they run about $10-15 ea. If you can't find them in the local auto parts stores you can try ordering them from 4WheelParts.com. There is a local brick 'n mortar store near Alderwood Mall in Lynnwood. They might not have them in stock but they could maybe order them for you, check to see if they can definitely get them in before Friday.

Tow hook, $10 ea

You'll need a T-55 Torx bit (star drive) to remove the stock bumper bolts in order to fit the new tow hooks. If you don't have a set of Torx sockets then bring the tow hooks with you can we can get them mounted up Saturday morning while waiting for everyone else to show up. It only takes a couple minutes per hook to install.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a pair, one for each side of your front bump. If you order a 3rd tow hook it can be mounted on the rear driver's side frame, just under / in front of the rear bumper but it needs a single hole drilled in the frame. But the back tow hook isn't as critical as the fronts for Evan's Creek.

When Are We Going?
We're still on for the time and place posted in the OP at the start of this thread.

November 10th
LEAVING the gas station AT 9:30am

So be there early. Check the OP for where we're meeting up.
Unread 11-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #20
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982cj8 View Post
You can get the pass at the Burnett store, we were told by the ranger you had to have a pass even if not using a tow vehicle. Their reasoning is you will have to park or use the day use area at some time so you need a pass. It is only $5 for the day.
Cool. Good to know.

And FYI for anyone else, you can also get annual passes for $30 that are good for Liberty / Table Mountain, Evan's Creek, The Naches Trail, Manastash Ridge and (sort of) Rimrock. The passes aren't 4x4 specific and are good for any other federal land in the NW if you go hiking or what not.

The passes don't cover any campsite fees.

And it is a completely separate pass than the Washington DNR specific Discovery Pass which is needed for Walker Valley, Tahuya, Elbe, Wenas, and other state land or state parks.

If this is TMI right now, just bring $5 for the pass we'll need for Saturday.
Unread 11-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #21
maverick2107
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks a lot. Ill hit up a hard wear store if off road shop tomorrow.
Unread 11-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #22
KahluaJeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

" we can get them mounted up Saturday morning while waiting for everyone else to show up. It only takes a couple minutes per hook to install."

If they're not to seized......broke 3 t-55's doing mine. caved into heat and two cans of pb blaster muhahaha. now that i said that his will just come out by hand. anywho what trail or trails do you plan on running? from what it sounds like 197 seems a bit to tough for someone i intended on bringing. and i don't know about my self, never wheeled with my LJ on these kind of trails.... NC was had much wider trails and an bucket load of mud. I don't want to hamper your fun though, just let me know. Oh and i am still planning on going
KahluaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #23
ChadH
2006 TJ Wrangler 

lupinsea - I've been planning on getting some recovery gear - at least till I can afford a winch. Might be a few months till I can do that though. Just got my tire carrier in the mail today and that was a pretty penny...some other stuff on the way.

maverick - if you need any tools let me know...I have a whole tool box from my technician days that hardly get used. no sense in payin 80 bucks for a tool you only need a few times (same goes for you others out there)

My Build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/majestic-eagle-1434780/
ChadH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #24
maverick2107
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadH
lupinsea - I've been planning on getting some recovery gear - at least till I can afford a winch. Might be a few months till I can do that though. Just got my tire carrier in the mail today and that was a pretty penny...some other stuff on the way.

maverick - if you need any tools let me know...I have a whole tool box from my technician days that hardly get used. no sense in payin 80 bucks for a tool you only need a few times (same goes for you others out there)
Thanks man. I have a very limited tool box. Ill let u know. Looking forward to this Sat and meeting all you guys. Any number on jeeps going? Ill prob be alone in mine.
Unread 11-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #25
KahluaJeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I can bring some tools as well. And I will hopefully have my winch on as well.
Unread 11-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #26
KahluaJeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Let me add to that, dean you can have my tow hooks, just realized I have d ring mounts and a winch. You'd enjoy them more I would. I can bring them with, i'll sandblast and powdercoat them for ya as well
Unread 11-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #27
maverick2107
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahluaJeep
Let me add to that, dean you can have my tow hooks, just realized I have d ring mounts and a winch. You'd enjoy them more I would. I can bring them with, i'll sandblast and powdercoat them for ya as well
Holy crap your awesome! Thank you.
Unread 11-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #28
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahluaJeep View Post

" we can get them mounted up Saturday morning while waiting for everyone else to show up. It only takes a couple minutes per hook to install."

If they're not to seized......broke 3 t-55's doing mine. caved into heat and two cans of pb blaster muhahaha. now that i said that his will just come out by hand. anywho what trail or trails do you plan on running? from what it sounds like 197 seems a bit to tough for someone i intended on bringing. and i don't know about my self, never wheeled with my LJ on these kind of trails.... NC was had much wider trails and an bucket load of mud. I don't want to hamper your fun though, just let me know. Oh and i am still planning on going
That's awesome that you're offering up your tow hooks! Very generous!

Not to sure what trails we'll run at this point.

The 197 is the toughest trail there, it's all up hill, has several pinch points, a number of off-camber sections, and one combo where your butt pucker is doing more to keep you in your seat than the seat belt as you're trying to keep from sliding into a tree root at window sill level. Several criss-crossy roots to get through and at this time of year with the rain they'll probably be snot slick with mud and slime. A tank tap. And some steep-ish rock out-croppings.

I used to wheel with one guy from NC who said the NW trails are MUCH different than what he was used to. Apparently in NC there is the mud, the trails are more open, and uphills tend to be more or less straight up the hillside with maybe some rock ledges to get up.

Here the trails side-hill a lot so lots of off camber in the NW. Not so much mud but the trails get slick and one can slide sideways (not really an issue at Evan's, though). And our trails are often pinned in by closely spaced trees or they'll cut down below grade and you'e driving in a narrow trench with root knobs that stick out at the apex of a right turn. There are a few trails that have tight switch backs where even the SWB TJs and YJs have to do multi-point turns.

Anyways, we may have a few stock rigs, and one fellow might be showing up with a 2012 JK Wrangler Altitude that he got in August. This is his first wheel'n trip as far as I know and he's bringing a (basically) brand new 4-door JK and I don't want to bash his rig up. Hopefully he'll get hooked on wheel'n but major damage his first time out would probably be a big turn off.

We might also have one or two people who either haven't wheeled before or are still new. Which is always fun because it's great to show new people the ropes, show them around a great wheel'n place, and let them discover how capable their rigs are.

The point being is that I figure we'll play it by ear.

There may be some trails where a few of the guys might desire to park their rigs at the bottom of the trail and ride along in other Jeeps. That is, if people are up for having a few other passengers along for one or two trails. Bring spare seats if you have 'em. I know there is one fellow who'll be riding with me. He and his son are heading down with one of his son's friends / co-workers. The father will ride in my Jeep on the trail while his son and his friend drives his Jeep. I'm still bringing my bench seat just in case we need extra room for a few of the trails.

Anyways, I think it's going to be a fun day and a chance to show some people around. I don't expect a fast pace and there is likely to be some winching . . . which I don't mind. It'll give some of the guys a chance to see what it's like rigging up some recovery gear and show them how useful winches are.

Think of it as offroad outreach.
Unread 11-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #29
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Someone asked about head count and I'm not sure at this point.

I'll be showing up with two but maybe also 4 Jeeps (mine included).
Then it looks like 4 of you guys from JF with probably one bringing a friend, so 5 there.

So we could have a decent sized group of 6-9 rigs?

And I'll probably want to disperse the Jeeps with winches evenly through the group. One Jeep with a winch can help the guy in front and the guy behind by using a snatch block. I've even helped winch a stuck rig that was two Jeeps behind me once: Snatch-blocked off to an adjacent tree, then by-passed the rig off my 6 o'clock to the Jeep two vehicles back.

Oh, and bring CB radios if you have them.
Unread 11-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #30
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, last note:

Been having fun repairing a cracked track bar bracket on the frame side. Besides the crack in the rib it was also tearing off the frame. I noticed it Saturday morning when replacing a worn TRE. I just got done welding it back up last night, included fabbing up a brace to the opposite frame rail. The springs and other items I had to pull for access will be going back on tonight. She'll be all buttoned up and ready to go well before Saturday. It's an ugly weld job but I think I got some good penetration after grinding out the fracture into a deep "V" and a lot of over lapping weld material.

Can't wait to hit the trail.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.