Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Day trip Sun 9/13

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  ChicagoGuy 
#1 ·
Guys,

My brother is visiting from the Midwest (first time in the PNW area) in mid-September, and we've agreed to set aside the Sunday for a day trip wheeling.

So two things -

1) I'm looking for a good place that gives him a scenic representation of the area. I've heard you can cross the Cascades on trails only, which would be a cool way to spend the day IMHO. Without any recommendations like that, I'll likely end up at Reiter.
2) Who wants to go with us? :cheers2:

#11 ·
Made the run - it was a decent trail, but REALLY easy. Heck, it was harder finding it than it was running it. Really dry most of the trail, but a small mud pit towards the end by the river.

Ran it W to E, and then came back via the Chinook Pass. It is tight in places. My buddies TJ went through a lot of trees, turns and bridges with room to spare where I was rubbing in the 4-dr JK. Still, made it through everything with just a few new pinstripes.

(Every time I scratch my AEV hood, I cringe a little bit, but I'm getting over it mostly now that it's happened so much)

Here are a few pics:

#16 ·
when I go to that site, like others about Naches, it lists a whole ****load of trails - I was hoping Vettedriver could tell me which trails he used.

thanks ....

4W306 Manastash Ridge 7.4 More Difficult
4W307 Tripod Flat 5.1 More Difficult
4W307.1 Lost Lake 0.9 More Difficult
4W308 Shoestring 3.5 More Difficult
4W309 String 1.5 More Difficult
4W310 Frost 1.2 More Difficult
4W311 Divide (Buck Meadows) 6.3 More Difficult
4W328 Wells Meadow 1.5 More Difficult
4W330 Tipover 2.5 Most Difficult
4W617 Lilly Pond 1.9 Most Difficult
4W644 C.J.R.s Hideout 3.2 Easy
4W665 Sweet Home 1.3 Easy
4W675 Cattle Camp 1.5 Easy
4W676 Kaner Flats 6.9 Most Difficult
4W685 Woodpecker Bypass 1.0 More Difficult
4W686 Milk Creek 3.5 Easy
4W694 Summit (Funny Rocks) 4.6 More Difficult
4W695 Mid Summit (Moon Rocks) 2.3 More Difficult
4W696 Mud Springs 11.2 More Difficult
4W697 Clover Springs (lower section) 2.5 Most Difficult
Clover Springs (FS1605 to 4W696) 5.1 More Difficult
4W900 Powerline (Ravens Roost) 8.5 More Difficult
Manastash Ridge Road 11.4 Easy

#17 ·
none of the trails in that list is the one he did. He did the "Naches Trail". which is the trail that starts off FR70, then ends at FR1913, which is a spur road off FR19. all the trails in the list above are "trails over AT the Little Naches Recreation area" the NAcheS Trail is not on that list.

#18 ·
none of the trails in that list is the one he did. He did the "Naches Trail". which is the trail that starts off FR70, then ends at FR1913, which is a spur road off FR19. all the trails in the list above are "trails over AT the Little Naches Recreation area" the NAcheS Trail is not on that list.
Yep, that's it - we took Hwy 410 to FS70 and turned left. You will literally see a "duck head" on the GPS/map where the FS road splits, stay right, and then there is a dirt trail off to the left. If you miss it, you dead end about a 1/4 mile further down.

If you miss the split and stay on FS70, eventually you will come to FS7020 (essentially a big "intersection" of two trails) and if you turn left/north in this area, Trail #1175 (which is the Naches Trail itself) was actually marked with a post off of FS7020 to the right.

I'll admit we missed the start a few times and doubled-back a couple of times (still fun). It was on 7020 that we figured out we were on the right trail, since we saw the marker post. BTW, post is generous - it was a four foot high 1x2 stuck in the ground with 1175 spray painted on it in pink. :)

From there though, it's pretty straight forward a trail. One thing that makes it easier to "find" is that the FS roads are mostly gravel/rocks, while the trail itself is more hardpacked dirt.

Before you go, give me a PM and if I can, I'll meet you in Woodinville and show you on the map (from the site given above) how we drove it.

#22 ·
thanks for the details vettedriver.

I take it you did not do the "lower naches trail"? I wonder how hard that is given things are pretty dry?

Kurt
I hadplanned to do lower Naches, but a few things things stopped me. First, my buddy's TJ hadn't been used in over a year - he had just put in a new battery and plugs and a fuel additive, but forget to change his fuel filter. So every now and then, his engine would die. Eventually we would get him restarted, but he must have died a few times, so his thirst for adventure was much less than mine after the first few times.

Second, we did get off trail close to the end of the eastern part of the trail, and tried to get back for a good hour, but kept running into dead ends. At one point, a/the trail is completely blocked by an earthmover, and the trail beyind is dug up. Looks like they are putting in a drainage field or something. So it got pretty frustrating for awhile.

Third, or at least a side effect of 2, is that the Bears v. GB game kicked off at 5:30, so I needed to be home with a beer and on a couch.

(Too bad that outcome sucked so much) :(

We may try another run at Lower Naches in a few weeks. I'll post back if we do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.