Cleanup The Burn - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Cleanup The Burn

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
BeatCJ
1981 CJ5 

Cleanup The Burn

Kind of late notice, but I was lurking watching a Gaucho get built, so I joined.

Copied from Piston's Wild

7th ANNUAL PICK-UP THE BURN - MAINTAINING A TRADITION OF STEWARDSHIP
- YACOLT BURN WORK PARTY -
September 26, 2009

Meet at Jones Creek Trailheadon Saturday from 8:00am - 9:00am to sign up, choose your task and get any supplies you may need.

To start the day off right -- Woody's 4x4 will be providing "Krispy Kreme" donuts for your breakfast.

After a long hard days work of cleaning up the forest please join us from 2:00pm - 4:00pm back at the Jones Creek Trailhead where The Pacific Northwest 4-Wheel Drive Association will be providing an appreciation lunch for all volunteers.

Contract Nick Cronquist (DNR) at (360) 575-5016 if you have any general questions about this event.

Please contact Crystal Crowder (Piston's Wild) at (360) 606-1648 if you have any questions about the 4x4 community's participation in this event.

Please feel free to download and print additional flyers to assist with the promotion of this event.

Unread 09-25-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

We're going. Several of my students may also come to help. Hoping to get some trail time, too.

Happy Trails,
Moose
sdmoose429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Where's this at?
rs4race is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
BeatCJ
1981 CJ5 

SW Washington, just east of our Vancouver. It was last Saturday, and was a very successful event. Here's a press release:

7th Annual “Pickup the Burn” A Huge Success

Saturday, September 26th Offroad vehicle enthusiasts gathered at the Jones Creek Trailhead to tackle a huge job – removing tons of garbage from the Yacolt Burn State Forest. Organized by the Piston’s Wild Motorsports Club and the Washington State Department of Natural Resources, 112 registered volunteers logged a total of 869 hours hauling garbage from the forest. At the end of the afternoon, a 40 cubic yard commercial dumpster was filled to the very brim, compacted down and topped off, more than 5 truckloads of tires were hauled to recyclers and several abandoned car bodies were pulled from the trees and shipped to salvage.

It started at 8:00 in the morning with DNR regional recreation liaison Jessica Kimmick speaking to the gathered volunteers. She said she never anticipated such a huge gathering, and thanked everyone for donating their time and vehicles to make an impact on the forest. With the current DNR budget, it’s a task they couldn’t get done otherwise. She reminded people that campfire rings needed to be torn apart, because campfires are only legal in official campgrounds on State Lands.

Then Crystal Crowder, Piston's Wild club president asked volunteers to come up, to make sure that groups were going to cover all the areas where concentrations of garbage had been noted. She reminded people that all this work was going toward the goal of opening the area back up to off highway vehicles, closed out nearly 20 years ago. The process has been moving forward for 2 ˝ years, and it’s all due to the huge amount of work put forth by the OHV community. She thanked the members of the 15 different clubs represented, and all those who weren’t part of a club. And she reminded people to thank all the sponsors, Woody’s 4x4 and the Pacific Northwest 4 Wheel Drive Association for providing breakfast and lunch, Waste Connections Inc. for delivering and picking up the dumpster, and donating the disposal fee, Les Schwab Tires for recycling the tires at no cost to taxpayers and Sunbelt Rentals for the use of the offroad forklift.

Participants gathering together to get instructions in the morning

Then, groups moved to their assigned areas, and went to work. Winching car bodies up from the ravines, pulling hundreds of tires from all over the forest, picking up discarded sofas, chairs, televisions, used motor oil, thousands of empty shotgun shells, discarded roofing, household garbage, even 2 boats, all evidence of people using the public resource as a dumping ground.

Two boats making their last trip

Thanks to Sunbelt Rentals for the Forklift and Waste Connections for the dumpster.

Fishing for tires

At the end of the day, everyone gathered back together for grilled hamburgers, hot dogs and chili, and gave each other a pat on the back for a job well done.

There are 469 photos here: http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww312/pistonswild/2009%20Events/9-26-09%20Clean%20Up%20The%20Burn/
Unread 10-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
Racincowboy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmoose429 View Post
We're going. Several of my students may also come to help. Hoping to get some trail time, too.

Happy Trails,
Moose

Hey Moose,

Thanks for getting up so early and meeting me. I know that is the last thing one wants to do is get up early like that then go clean up the woods after some vandals/criminals. I greatly appreciate you and your wife spending your free time to help us out. Hopefully I will get to see you guys again this weekend at the cruise-in @ woody's 4x4 on sunday 10-4-09. I will give you a call tomorrow morning around 7:30 or so. Sorry we didnt get a chance to go show you some of the trails. Next time we head out on a recovery or trail survey I will be sure to give you a holler. We are having a cruise in prep night friday night up at Crowder's. We need to refab some tricycles and stuff bags for the cruise in.

Check us out at WWW.Pistonswild.com
Racincowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
Racincowboy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4race View Post
Where's this at?
This area is basically north of Camas, Wa. and east of Vancouver Wa. If you would like more info and get a look at the maps of the proposed trail system go to Home and click on the forum link. We post up all new info on this project.

We are also having a 4x4 cruise in @ Woody's 4x4 in Vancover Wa on Sunday 10/4/09. These maps will be on display as well as activites and games for the whole family. You cant miss the 2nd annual whiz off as well. Those of you that were there last year know what it involved. Those of you that were not there need to come by and check it out.

Thanks for your support

Lance

Unread 10-02-2009, 01:09 AM   #7
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Lance, I am sorry to have missed the clean up the burn event. Had to be at a family reunion. I will be at Woody's though for the cruise in on sunday though.
ReconBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
Racincowboy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmymanYJ View Post
Lance, I am sorry to have missed the clean up the burn event. Had to be at a family reunion. I will be at Woody's though for the cruise in on sunday though.
Not a problem Armymanyj. We all have to get the family time in when we can in our busy lives and we all understand that. I think my favorite thing about our club is it is like a family reunion anytime we get together. Only we like to hang out together unlike some families.

I look forward to meeting you at the Cruise-in. Bring the family we will have fun and games for all. I believe the annual whiz off is "ON" with last years champ returning to defend the title. Word is he is taking no prisoners again this year and wants more hardware (a trophy) to keep his trophy from last year company and of course bragging rights.

If you can track me down at the cruise in I would like to have a chat with you. Just ask anyone in a pistonswild shirt where I am and they can point me out I am kinda hard to miss.

Lance

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.