Camping Spots??? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-06-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
schuman_al
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Camping Spots???

Are there any good 4x4 accessable only camping spots... Something you could only get to in a 4x4.. I am located in Puyallup so stuff within semi close proximity... Or even any multi day trails that you camp along the way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Rock Dawg 97124
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The Rubicon trail is the best for that..

We also have one in Oregon, down south. People I know are doing a week long wheeling trip around Oregon this summer. below is the link.

http://poorboy1.proboards.com/index....ad=5384&page=1

I know around Puyallup is some fun wheeling, but nothing (that I know of) like a camping wheeling like you mentiond.

97 Jeep: 5.0 HO,13"lift, 39.5" Swampers, Air Lockers, 4.88's, Disk Brakes, 9500 Lbs Winch, recovery tools .
post #3 of 12 Old 04-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Squeeky
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Theres a few places in greenwater...not saying where though!!! you haveto find them yourself!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unscathed View Post
Yea.. I mean really... who herculines their jeep naked.. go figure..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old 04-07-2009, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
schuman_al
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It doesnt have to be a long trail I just thought that would be cool
post #5 of 12 Old 04-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Squeeky
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I go up green water and explore the logging roads and take the offshots to find good spots! Last time I went I found a spot that had a panoramic view of mt.rainier and everything for miles and miles around..it was awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unscathed View Post
Yea.. I mean really... who herculines their jeep naked.. go figure..

post #6 of 12 Old 04-07-2009, 10:37 AM
RavenCorax
1988 XJ Cherokee 

we always run down to elbe hills. its about 30 miles away from ya. old logging road to get up there. and about 10 trails all around it. from mild to your gonna get body damage. i plan on going much as i cant his summer. also thers another spot up on the nw corner of raineer park about 50 miles away good smal site lots of trails. send me a pm we can try to get some dates arranged im feeling the need to go sleep under the stars. when it doesnt get down to the 30's at night

2 door cherokee
I wave
post #7 of 12 Old 04-07-2009, 01:56 PM
lupinsea

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, let me see. . . .

Naches Trail
There's the Naches 4x4 Trail that crosses the Cascade Mountains into Eastern, WA. It was recently honored by BFGoodrich tires as on of America's 5 great trails. Plenty of opportunity for camping along that trail. And as a matter of fact, a group run we did last year did just that. Started up the western end of the trail in the dark and set up camp at mid-night in a clearing right before a very steep hill climb past the stump. There's also Government Meadows that the trail runs past where some snomobile club set up a log cabin. Its free to use for the public, first come first serve, has a porch, sleeping loft, fireplace/stove, and looks out over the meadow.

Camping along the side of the trail on the Naches Trail (western slope) just before teh
steep hill climb.

A few random meadows to camp along the edge of on the Naches trail. I wouldn't
recommend camping in the middle, they'll be a bit soggy and we don't want to
mess up the meadows.

The snomobiler's cabin at Government Meadows at the Naches Trail pass. The 4x4
trail runs through the trees on the far side of the meadow so the cabin isn't visible
from the trail. Takes less than 2 min to walk the 100 yrds from the 4x4 trail to the cabin.

On a historical note, this was the location where the Longmire wagon train of 1853
rested for 2 day before lowering their wagons down the cliffs with rope. This is also
where the Pacific Crest hiking trail crosses the Naches trail.

Manastash Ridge
There's also the Manastash Ridge in eastern WA. This is an area that covers 115 sq miles of territory laced with 4x4, quad, and motorbike trails. Feel free to camp anywhere on the side of the trail. Be mindful of campfires, though. One nice place is Tripod Flats. Places at Funnyrocks / moonrocks to camp, too. There's Lost Lake. And places at Quartz Mountain and Frost Mountain, and a few places along Milk Pond Trail, too. Or the Kaner Flats trail further up the ridge. (and of course "improved" camping sites down in the Naches Basin valley.

FWIW, the Naches Trail out of Greenwater crosses the cascades and drops into the the Naches Basin on the edge of the Manastash Ridge area.

Camping in the trees on the backside of Funnyrocks.

Tripod Flats with a good place to set up camp on the far side of the meadow at the
edge of the trees.

Our camp set up on the edge of the trees at Tripod Flats.

Standing at the camping spot on the banks of Lost Lake. The 4x4 trail comes down
through the draw on the opposite side of the lake. As soon as the trail breaks tree
cover at the edge of the lake STOP. It side-hills and then peters out with little room to
turn around. Park at the edge of the trees and hoof it around the lake. It's a short
distance, maybe 3-5 minutes.

Liberty / Table Mountain
Lots of areas for camping beside the trails here, plus an improved campsite closer to the road with vault toilets and campsites. There are still active prospector mines so be mindful of where you set up camp, people can get touchy. Located on Hwy 97 about 15 minutes north of Cle Elum.

One of the many small opening in the tree cover surrounding the Liberty / Table Mountain area.

N. Cle Elum / Gallagher Head Lake
4x4-only accessible camping place along the banks of the small Gallagher Head Lake which is ringed by a back drop of craggy peaks in an alpine meadow / forest. Very windy and cold at it's 6000 ft elevation, even in July. It's not a difficult 4x4 trail but not something you'd want to take a full-size rig or a typical SUV on.

Our camping site on the shore of Gallagher Head lake. Very cool at this elevation,
even in mid-July.

The trail continues on past the lake another 1/2 - 3/4 mile or so. More places to
set up a camp there including another meadow (but no lake)

Rimrock
Lots of informal camping places a long side the 4x4 trails in this area. If you go, make sure you brakes and cooling system are in absolute top notch conditions as the trails are the steepest in the state. Also, down near the lake and in the valley there are more establish campsites. You can also go boating in Rimrock lake.

LOTS of places for trailside camping at Rimrock. Most with a view.

Watch that first step. Would recommend setting tents slightly back from edge. This is
just overlooking Blue Lake (to the left at 90 deg WAY out of the picture) and was the
former site of a fire watch tower. There is an old hunting cabin there now just inside
the tree line. Very windy location.

Reiter Trails
This place offers so-so trail camping opportunities. More informal campsites near the access road and under the power lines. It's "doable" but not what I'd recommend.

Does this help?

Let me know if you need more accurate directions. And double check with the appropriate Ranger Stations regarding fire hazard levels and whether or not campfires are allowed (based on fire danger).

- Jay
post #8 of 12 Old 04-07-2009, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
schuman_al
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wow that is some awesome info thank you!!
post #9 of 12 Old 04-08-2009, 12:52 PM
lupinsea

2001 TJ Wrangler 

For you, the Naches is pretty close.

It's about 26 miles out of Enumclaw on Hwy 410, left on FS Rd 70 about 1.5 miles past the town of Greenwater. Keep going on the "main" FS 70 road until the pavement ends (there's a concrete vault outhouse there for a last pitstop). Once it switches to gravel keep on the main route as it button-hooks to the right about 200 yd from the pavement. Stick on this for approx 1 mile and keep an eagle eye out for the start of the Naches trail head on your left. It goes straight up the side of the mountain.

If you miss the trailhead and come to a "Y" in the road after 1 mile, either go back and now look for the trailhead on your right. Or take the left at the "Y". It buttonhooks to the left shortly and intersects the Naches Trail a bit further up the mountain side.

About 1 - 1.5 hrs into the Naches you'll reach Government Meadows after passing through a number of meadows and gravel road crossings.

Route to the Naches Trailhead

Point A is Puyallup
Point B is Greenwater (for reference)
Point C is the start of the Naches Trailhead

The last hairpin just before point C is where the road switches from pavement to gravel.

If you stay on the Naches it dumps you into Eastern, WA on FS Rd 19. A short 4-5 mile drive down paved FS Rd 19 and you have access to the Manastash Ridge ORV area on the left and (if you find it) the Raven's Roost trail to the right further down closer to Hwy 410. Raven's roost tops out at ~6400 ft elevation at a tall, isolated peak. There's a gravel road that accesses a communications instalation up there but there's also a Jeep the runs up the spine of the peak with a few great hill climbs.

I have a bunch of trailmaps on my website for the Naches, Manastash Ridge, Cle Elum, and Reiter Trails, as well as a few other places. Just click on the "Maps" folder. The PDFs are designed to print out as 11x17s double sides, just take them down to Kinkos or Office Depot. Cost ~$2-3 for a print out that size and another ~$2 to get it laminated for durability.

Another resource for trails / maps is nwjeepn.com as they have an awesome index of great Jeep trails throughout the state.

- Jay
post #10 of 12 Old 05-09-2009, 09:30 PM
SnoqulmieTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey lupinsea do you have maps to all of those places me and my girlfirend want to check them out, and im new to the jeepin scene so your help would be amazing. its been years since i have done things like this since my dad and i quite speaking and its hard to find good people let alone good info for capming and wheeling my email is Scott72579@aol.com any ifo will help thanks
post #11 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 03:06 PM
lupinsea

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sure do.

Check out my website (in sig). In the "file sharing" section lower down the front page look (obviously) in the folder titled "maps".

My site subscription is coming due in a couple days and I need to renew, if there is a glitch either wait or I can e-mail them directly to you.

- Jay
post #12 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 06:04 PM
RavenCorax
1988 XJ Cherokee 

hey guys can we set something up for memorial day weekend? 2 weeks away i wanna go wheeling

2 door cherokee
I wave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.