Best place to live in WA for a Jeeper? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Best place to live in WA for a Jeeper?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-28-2014, 11:40 PM   #1
PinePig
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Best place to live in WA for a Jeeper?

My income is such that I can live where ever I want.
I currently live in Utah and I am getting sick of the people and climate.
I love WA and would love to move there.
I like the mountains and trees and prefer to be within a few hours of Seattle so I can get to the VA hospital when I need to.

I want land and to be able to grow a variety of crops and have chickens and other animals.
I also don't want to be able to see or hear my neighbors!!!
I need to have easy access to Jeep trails!
If any of you guys could point me in the right direction from what I have explained I would be grateful
Thanks
Scott

1951 CJ3A
PinePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
punisher65

2006 WK 

Check out Ellensburg. Its about 2-2.5 hours from Seattle, plenty of Jeep roads to get lost in the hills/mountains, and its a farming community (sounds like a perfect fit to me).
BT Catch Can, TB ground, Cree LED Reverse Lights, Interior LED upgrade

WK Build Thread

1993 4.0 ZJ
BB and 31" Bighorns SOLD :(
punisher65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
PinePig
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Ellensburg looks a lot like Utah... I am tired of the high desert. I need trees!
I was looking at houses online in Randle. It looks like it's in the middle of all of the Forrest Service roads and I love the views and the seclusion. What do you think of Randle?
1951 CJ3A
Unread 06-29-2014, 09:05 PM   #4
punisher65

2006 WK 

Haven't been there so I can't say, but you'd be right to avoid Ellensburg if you didn't want to end up in a place like Utah. Sounds like you want something on the west side of the cascades (Randle seems to fit the bill).
BT Catch Can, TB ground, Cree LED Reverse Lights, Interior LED upgrade

WK Build Thread

1993 4.0 ZJ
BB and 31" Bighorns SOLD :(
punisher65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
CRASHNDENT
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe out toward Eatonville?
Unread 06-29-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
72MellowYellow
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Any place from Morton up through Packwood on US 12 is good. All of them small (some really small) towns. Plenty of FS roads to explore, Lots of places to fish, hike, hunt, or just explore. Elbe Hills ORV isn't too far for straight up jeep trails and you can get there through Packwood until the snow starts to pile (then its snow run time ) Plan for mud even in the summer.

Also there is a VA HCS in Lakewood Wa that would closer than Seattle if that works for you.

Also you will need to purchase a Discovery pass. It's $35.00 for a year pass or you can buy a day pass for $10.00. You can find out more here http://www.discoverpass.wa.gov/faq/

and to confuse you even more certain areas require a FS pass http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r6/pas...fsbdev2_027003.

Eatonville isn't bad but not a area I would suggest. If you wanted to be closer to "Town" I would look between Mineral & Morton
Unread 07-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
1982cj8
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cle Elum, Easton is still close to Manastash and other FS roads but cooler and smaller than Ellensburg, still close to Seattle for doctors.

4X4XNORTHWEST.COM
1982cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
Bigbear92

Eatonville Roy yelm graham area is beautiful close the mtn not to far from town and Elbe hills orv and evens creek is not out of the way either
Bigbear92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 04:20 AM   #9
rubiconrich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Randle has my vote with Packwood a close second. A lot of Jeepers meet at the Randle Diner as a meet up place. Diner has a good breakfast menu too. Close to the diner, there is a trailhead that leads you to a bunch of southbound trails. You can get to Mt Helen's from Randle and even continue to the Columbia River. Trout Lake is southeast from Helen and southwest puts you inline with Vancouver and the Gifford-Pinchot Forest. Packwood is just closer to the I-5 corridor. You also can look at property around Yale Lake which is more rustic than Randle in my opinion. In Yale Lake there is a forest road that takes you to Randle.
rubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #10
chow40cal
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MellowYellow View Post
Any place from Morton up through Packwood on US 12 is good. All of them small (some really small) towns. Plenty of FS roads to explore, Lots of places to fish, hike, hunt, or just explore. Elbe Hills ORV isn't too far for straight up jeep trails and you can get there through Packwood until the snow starts to pile (then its snow run time ) Plan for mud even in the summer.

Also there is a VA HCS in Lakewood Wa that would closer than Seattle if that works for you.

Also you will need to purchase a Discovery pass. It's $35.00 for a year pass or you can buy a day pass for $10.00. You can find out more here http://www.discoverpass.wa.gov/faq/

and to confuse you even more certain areas require a FS pass http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r6/pas...fsbdev2_027003.

Eatonville isn't bad but not a area I would suggest. If you wanted to be closer to "Town" I would look between Mineral & Morton

Something not usually covered, but an 'America the Beautiful Access Pass' can be had by any veteran providing proof of permanent service related disability i.e. your VA rating papers. Stop by your local Ranger Station and provide the proof. They will issue you the disabled lifetime pass free of charge. It covers any areas requiring the Discover Pass as well as the Northwest Forest pass and many others. Washington State also issues a lifetime state parks pass for disabled veterans, but I believe you need a minimum of 30%, don't quote me on that.
Unread Yesterday, 04:02 AM   #11
PinePig
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the info guys! It is all very helpful. I have a pass for the national parks. I am a disabled vet and I was a law enforcement Park Ranger for a bit. I have 2 young kids so a community with good schools and markets is a must. My wife is liking Port Townsend. I mostly do expo type wheeling now and would love to explore the Olympics!
1951 CJ3A

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.