Bellingham/Whatcom County Jeepers - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Bellingham/Whatcom County Jeepers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #136
Peaches371
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the info Duck Dodgers, Unfortunately they have been saying that NF is going to be gated for many years it is sad that they are finally doing it :-( (its disappointing) My issue with the DNR is the lack of information they give and where to find out stuff. Do you mind sharing where you find your information or about rules/regulations about how to stay on Mr. Whitehall's good side? We have our Discover pass so that is not an issue, the issue I would have is getting a ticket when their is no real sings' or markings in areas such as NF to find out proper information and/or rules. We stopped at the ranger station/Visitor info at Glacier and they were lacking in everything or anything informative, with a sign that said closed tell May. So we may have to do a little more research on-line but it seems like a lot of it is word of mouth... :-/

Peaches371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #137
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

I go up behind many gates once in a while doing fire checks. However, it is news to me that they are locking up NF. We get calls up there periodically for injured mountain bikers.

I'm going to have to make sure to get a key to this new gate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnabb View Post
it bolted right up, except one bolt but i didn't need it anyway
samsonitesamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #138
Duck Dodgers
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Somewhere between the Port of Indecision and South of Disorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches371 View Post
Thanks for the info Duck Dodgers, Unfortunately they have been saying that NF is going to be gated for many years it is sad that they are finally doing it :-( (its disappointing) My issue with the DNR is the lack of information they give and where to find out stuff. Do you mind sharing where you find your information or about rules/regulations about how to stay on Mr. Whitehall's good side? We have our Discover pass so that is not an issue, the issue I would have is getting a ticket when their is no real sings' or markings in areas such as NF to find out proper information and/or rules. We stopped at the ranger station/Visitor info at Glacier and they were lacking in everything or anything informative, with a sign that said closed tell May. So we may have to do a little more research on-line but it seems like a lot of it is word of mouth... :-/
I sat on the Walker Valley Focus Group for quite sometime and then last year quit because of the frustration I had in dealing with the bureaucracy. Our club is still very active with DNR and the USFS. I am also a member of PNW4WDA, which is very active in the legislative side of ORV use in the PNW, so we get a lot information that way. As far as Ron, he's pretty easy going for the most part. Most the time you'll just get a warning unless you are doing something blatantly illegal. I wrote to Jason Overstreet and Doug Ericson last night in regard to this closure. So we'll see if we can stop it.

DNR information is online Just do a google and snoop around. I am just heading out or I would post up some links. This DNR regions local office is in Sedro-Woolley. If you go by there they will have a lot of information. Also the Mt. Baker-Snoqualime USFS office is also just down the road from the DNR headquarters on Hyw 20.
Unread 03-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #139
Duck Dodgers
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonitesamson View Post
I go up behind many gates once in a while doing fire checks. However, it is news to me that they are locking up NF. We get calls up there periodically for injured mountain bikers.

I'm going to have to make sure to get a key to this new gate.
Mark Mauren from DNR is the source of this action. This has all come about in the last few weeks. It all boils down to the Mt. Biker activity going on up there. A good contact in regard to this is Christ Thompson or even possibly David Way. Although I think David is more inline with the Volunteers with Walker and Reiter Hills.

* Spoke with Christ Thompson this morning. The Gate is a regional decision. The contact in regard to this is Steve Jennison in the Regional office in Woolley. Feel free to call and voice your opinions 856-3500 . I am in contact with Jason Overstreet, Vincent Buys and Doug Erikson. Overstreets office is looking into the matter at this time.
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #140
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

I called and voiced my opinion, they said they will pass it along

Quote:
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #141
chrisjsmith4
2012 JK Wrangler 

I Mt. Bike too but people need to share. There are a tone of mt bike places in Bellingham and surrounding areas. We need to take back the mountain for wheeling.
Unread 04-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #142
cisco52382
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I heard there may be a few spots out in Sumas??? I see logging roads from the highway just need to know how to get there. Thinking Monday adventure around
cisco52382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #143
chrisjsmith4
2012 JK Wrangler 

Its just logging roads. There are atv trails that my buddies take their sami's on. Way to small for any jeep
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #144
Duck Dodgers
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco52382 View Post
I heard there may be a few spots out in Sumas??? I see logging roads from the highway just need to know how to get there. Thinking Monday adventure around
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjsmith4 View Post
Its just logging roads. There are atv trails that my buddies take their sami's on. Way to small for any jeep
Yes and no.... you have to know where to go. Sumas is the one area where you can drive/ride non-street legal rigs on logging roads (Discover Pass Required). There are bunch of trails up there of different types. However, DNR will be up in the NF and Sumas Mt. areas the first 2 weekends in April and 1 weekend in May handing out tickets ( not warnings) for any violations. My guess is the focus will be NF and Slide but anything in possible.
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #145
Duck Dodgers
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonitesamson View Post
I called and voiced my opinion, they said they will pass it along
I doubt anything will stop it at this point. My guess is after a while the gate will be left open but the area and roads will be patrolled more regularly as DNR has hired 2 more E&E officers.
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #146
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Is this part of what you're talking about: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2012...-mountain.html
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #147
Duck Dodgers
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like with all the attention to NF, DNR is going to hold off on gating Slide Mt..
Unread 04-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #148
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

Yeah, that's great. They have had a bobcat parked at my fire station for the last 2 weeks. Apparently DNR is using it to disassemble the trail systems up NF.

We are getting a key to the gate, and apparently the gate is not going to be a permanent thing.

Quote:
Unread 04-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #149
mbookxj
1989 XJ Cherokee 

So is the gravel pit still going to be open? I was hoping to go up there tomorrow and do some shooting. Anyone want to come?
mbookxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #150
mbookxj
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Rack off of 1989 Jeep Cherokee XJ for sale. $200. Dimensions+ 50"long, 46"wide and 7" tall. Made with 2" metal tubing. Painted black. Some of the paint has flaked off.
15.jpg   img_20120222_161953.jpg  
mbookxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.