Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Been pulled over in Washington?

3K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  Mitchness 
#1 ·
Just curious how many people have been pulled over (ticketed or not) for flaps or flares in Washington. I am showing quite a bit of tire and wondering if it is going to be noticed. I do know what the laws are but also know that a lot of vehicles on the road don't conform. Some are more obvious than others though.

#7 ·
I was pulled over less than a week after I put 33x12.50's on my YJ but it was for an apparent 'illegal turn'. I was in a right-turn only lane and turned onto the next road's left lane while I had a green arrow. So unless someone ran a red from the opposite turn lane, there's no chance of anything happening. Not to mention everyone in the world does the exact same thing on that road.

I told the cop I had flaps and flares coming in the mail (not really) and he let me go. Never got pulled over again after that; I think it mostly depends on the cop and it might take a moving violation to get pulled over. I've had others next to me and behind me at lights and they didn't do anything.

It's a state regulation that really needs to be looked it. Most trucks brand new off a dealer lot have factory tires past the flares and no mud flaps. In my opinion, if you're catching so much spray from the vehicle in front of you that it hinders your visibility, you're following too close for conditions anyway and need to back off some. Funny how tractors with no trailers have gallons of water flying in the air and there's no regulation against that.

#35 ·
I was pulled over less than a week after I put 33x12.50's on my YJ but it was for an apparent 'illegal turn'. I was in a right-turn only lane and turned onto the next road's left lane while I had a green arrow. So unless someone ran a red from the opposite turn lane, there's no chance of anything happening. Not to mention everyone in the world does the exact same thing on that road.

I told the cop I had flaps and flares coming in the mail (not really) and he let me go. Never got pulled over again after that; I think it mostly depends on the cop and it might take a moving violation to get pulled over. I've had others next to me and behind me at lights and they didn't do anything.

It's a state regulation that really needs to be looked it. Most trucks brand new off a dealer lot have factory tires past the flares and no mud flaps. In my opinion, if you're catching so much spray from the vehicle in front of you that it hinders your visibility, you're following too close for conditions anyway and need to back off some. Funny how tractors with no trailers have gallons of water flying in the air and there's no regulation against that.
Hallelujah to everything you just said brother! I used to truck from Vancouver Canada into Wash. State every day and the amount of water I throw up as a truck, no matter what kind of trailer I'm towing, is HUGE! Why no laws for that?

B.C. has the same sort of silly laws. Even a fraction of an inch beyond the max. and you're ticketed. I just use the example of what a previous poster mentioned - the stock new GM's, Ford's, etc. that have tires 1-3" beyond the fender. That usually shuts the cop up and I get away with a warning (at least the last 4 times I have)!

I will NOT put mud flaps on my TJ. Simply because they're butt F*** ugly! Keep your distance if you don't like my wet tire spray you little rice rocket drivers! Or I'll jam the brakes and you'll end up UNDERNEATH me!

#8 ·
I'm on 33x12.50's and they stick out at least a couple inches. Haven't been pulled over yet, and I've had a few officers behind me. In the small town I live in they'll pull you over for just about anything, so I guess they don't worry too much about it unless your really out there. Actually, I think you'll get a mud flap ticket for being too high more often than protruding. Unless, like was mentioned they pull you over for something else and mention it.

#13 ·
You pissed off the cop with that 18 over in a 25. School Zone????

Had you not been speeding I bet they would not have even cared about the other stuff.

#14 ·
ive been pulled over cop said i was tailgating to hard that even tho i must have seen him i was still acting stupid... i was a good 5 second count behind him for the last 15 miles. he gave me a fixit within 15 days 4 flaps 4 flares and exhaust and he was looking for more stuff. tried to get me for windshield tried for e brake looked it over real hard to other stuff to write me on.

#16 ·
I have not been pulled over....

I have not been pulled over for over size tires but just found out that my speedometer is off by 10-14 mph but I plan on new axle and gears as soon as I figure out how to spend less than 6,000 dollars.:thumbdown::brickwall

I dont know what forum to use but I am planning on going to elbe hills this weekend if anyboody is interested in meeting up.

#17 ·
I've been pulled over and given a warning by a rural eastern WA policeman when we were way out on an isolated road. But that was for not having a side mirror (broken off by rubbing against a tree) and a cracked windshield. Given warnings to fix both items and let go.

No one single word about my tires / flare coverage and my tires stick out about 1.5" beyond the edge of the flares.

Not one word about any mud flap issues, either. But them I'm only up on a 2" suspension lift so things don't seem to high.

#19 ·
I've been pulled over for not having mud flaps/proper tire coverage. Twice in fact. Once in Bellevue, and once in Redmond. In my old ZJ.

Both during the same week.

The week I put one of those skull hitch covers with the light-up red eyes.

I asked the second officer (the Redmond one) if taking the skull hitch off would help. He just laughed and suggested it would't hurt.

I got a ticket from Bellevue (judge tossed it), and a warning in Redmond. I took the skull hitch off and never got pulled over again.

Never been pulled over in my JK. Don't have skulls on it anywhere.

#20 ·
I've been pulled over for not having mud flaps/proper tire coverage. Twice in fact. Once in Bellevue, and once in Redmond. In my old ZJ.

Both during the same week.

The week I put one of those skull hitch covers with the light-up red eyes.

I asked the second officer (the Redmond one) if taking the skull hitch off would help. He just laughed and suggested it would't hurt.

I got a ticket from Bellevue (judge tossed it), and a warning in Redmond. I took the skull hitch off and never got pulled over again.

Never been pulled over in my JK. Don't have skulls on it anywhere.
My rig looks mostly respectable so that helps I think. I look like your typical suburbanite dad too so I am not a real likely profile for a warrant or impaired roll. Worst case is a set of flaps. Would look pretty bad though and get torn off on the trail.

#21 ·
Never. (knock on wood) 33x12.5 on 3.75 backspaced aftermarket steelies and stock flares. They stick out quite a bit. I have had LEO behind me and they have never bothered me. Even the ones up at Little Naches that sit on the side of the main road scoping for anything to pull anyone over for.

I do switch out my wheels and tires during the winter/rainy season to stock Rubi wheels and AT tires. That could be a contributing factor to my good fortune, other than the fact that I don't drive like an idiot.

#24 ·
Really, that's when you get his name and dept and do a complaint on him for being really stupid.

#27 ·
flaps

i dont know about anyother state but i live in graham and i talked to an eatonville sherrif about mud flaps and it clearly was stated that if a TRUCK was to lifted then you could get a ticket and the last time i checked my jeep is still a jeep and without a truck bed it will never be a truck lol ni just wanted to put in my two cents for the day :cheers2:

#29 ·
i dont know about anyother state but i live in graham and i talked to an eatonville sherrif about mud flaps and it clearly was stated that if a TRUCK was to lifted then you could get a ticket and the last time i checked my jeep is still a jeep and without a truck bed it will never be a truck lol ni just wanted to put in my two cents for the day :cheers2:
Truck, car, Jeep, Conestoga wagon, it doesn't matter. If the rear most portion of your vehicle does not come down at least to the centerline of the axle then you need mud flaps. And your fenders have to cover all of the tread. You can have baloony tires that stick out past your fenders, as long as the tread is covered.

Someone earlier questioned the bobtail semi's. They have an exemption, those vehicles aren't designed to run bobtail so they get a pass.

That being said,

I have mud flaps, but am too scared to drive it. My tires stick out 7" on either side :rofl:

#28 ·
Doors.....

Its not against the law to have your doors off but it is against the law to not have side mirrors.I have recently asked like two weeks ago of the state patrol.:)

#32 ·
I haven't been pulled over, mainly cause I just got my jeep, but my buddies moms bf has a 60s jeep hes restored/off roaded (I died when I saw it:drool: ) and she was driving it over here (Just outside Silverdale/Bremerton) and ran out of gas, so when we brought her gas, a cop pulled over and was like, you're gonna need flaps for that. I think his bumper is 1-1.5 inches higher than center of tire, and hes got the fender covers and all. He probably would have had a heart attack if he ever saw my old blazer:rofl:

#34 ·
last month i got pulled by a WSP...he said i was going 60 in a 50...which i know i wasnt...but then quickly switched from that subject to my jeep being "over bumper height, no mud flaps, no flares...." so I think he needed a reason to pull me over. He didnt give me a ticket, but did whip out his little tape measure and actually told me "you're gonna have to lower this thing ya know." Oh ya, i've had my jeep 3 years and this was the 20th time getting pulled for no flares and no flaps :rofl: STILL no tickets. Last week was number 21, but I will admit, I was speeding lol. I passed an unmarked, off duty cop and some other traffic in the right lane going 75 in a 60 (bad decision) and he pulled me, and he mentioned the no-flaps/flares while lecturing me. Still no ticket though. :thumbsup:

#38 ·
Got pulled over during the big snow of last winter. Everyone on Division (the main drag) was going about 20mph in about 8" of snow and I was going about 30. I got cut off and had an out to my left. Can't brake at that speed in that much snow so I punched it to pull me to the next lane. This put me up to about 40. Cop comes whizzing up behind and cherries me. Asks me if I'm from around here and threatens reckless. I tell him I grew up 20 miles from a po-dunk town that never plowed its roads. BTW, I have NO flares with 75% of my 10.50s showing. I had to have been rooster-tailing like mad, but he didn't even mention it. He came back and said despite my winter driving experience I was still going 10 over and simply cited me for that. So not too bad. :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.