anyone been to Evans Creek lately? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > anyone been to Evans Creek lately?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 12-26-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
hifiguy7
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Jk anyone been to Evans Creek lately?

Hi,

A friend and I are thinking of tackling Evans Creek this weekend. Has anyone been to this area lately (December 2007)? Is it high enough to have snow issues? What is the conditions normally this time of year.

I have a 4-door Rubicon that is lifted 4-inches with 35" mud terrains and he has a lifted Cherokee with 31-inch mud terrains. Will this be sufficient? The old reports I read made mention of some difficulty with long wheelbase rigs. Any input you could give me would be appreciated.

If it sounds too tough, we may head back to Tahuya for some more winter practice.

Thanks.

hifiguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
yyoon

Evan's is about 3000' at the staging area and tops out at about 5200'. There's definately snow up there. A group of us were up there last Sat. The trails were slick. Your JK should be fine. I'm not sure about 31's. Maybe a little extra throttle?
Unread 12-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'd say be careful but give it a shot.

Not only are the trails tight but a number have off-camber spots on the edge of steep mountain slopes.

Now add snow to that.

It can get tricky in winter.
Unread 12-27-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
nwquadriders
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Very tricky in the snow. Trails that are tough when wet/muddy get a lot more difficult.

I'm able to manuever my LJ through there with "relative" ease. Haven't seen any rigs longer than me out there (but I've only been 2 times).
'04 Solar Yellow Wrangler Unlimited: 3.5" RE Superflex w/ RE Monotube shocks, 33x10.5 BFG MT's, Warn XD9000i winch, Jeeperman Trail Skids & Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier with 1/4 Panel Guards. Skid row engine skid.

NW Quadriders ATV Club
nwquadriders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
hifiguy7
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll stay down in safer areas for now. I hope to go to Evans Creek as soon as it's safe though.
Unread 12-29-2007, 09:31 PM   #6
bryans98tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would not even try with the Cherokee. Even the Rubi on 35s will be rough going. Be prepared for a long day and even night.

I do most of my winter wheeling down by Castle Rock on logging roads and that is tricky. I would not even attempt Evans in the snow for the reasons that Lup said, off-camber and snow near a mountainside are very dangerous. Personally I would do Elbe first.
bryans98tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2007, 12:20 AM   #7
hifiguy7
2006 TJ Wrangler 

By "as soon as it's safe", I meant in the Spring. I do not want to roll or slide down a mountain.
Unread 12-30-2007, 12:36 AM   #8
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you're looking for something more challenging than Tahuya there is . . . a parking lot.

Seriously, though, Walker Valley ORV park or Reiter Trails are a lot of fun, more challenging, and still below the snow line.

Elbe. . . can get challenging. Be prepared for body damage if you go down there. There are some easy trails and then there are some difficult ones that can get nasty.

For Walker Valley poke around on the WA State DNR website and they have an ORV map of the area and I think some directions on how to get there.

As for Reiter I'm working on a trail map of that area. You're more than welcome to download and print the low-res map image I currently have.

Black Routes = Pavement
Blue Routes = Gravel Roads
Green Routes = 4x4 trails

As for getting to Reiter. . . Head east on Hwy 2 out of Monroe. Go to the town of Gold Bar. On the eastern outskirts of town turn LEFT onto Reiter Rd. Stay on Reiter Rd and when the main route makes a sharp left turn bear "right" which is essentially going straight ahead. You'll come out of some trees, a quarry will be on your right, the main parking / staging area will be on your left. Explore. Total distance between Hwy 2 and the staging area is maybe 1 mile. . maybe 1.5 miles.

If you miss the Reiter Rd turn off and cross a bridge on Hwy 2 you've gone too far. . .the bridge is about 1 mile or less past Reiter Rd.

Aw heck. . .
Unread 12-30-2007, 02:39 AM   #9
bryans98tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you go to Elbe its a lot of fun...just stay off Busy Wild and you will be fine. Now thats normal weather. Right now just getting up to the staging area may be tough.
Unread 12-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #10
FmIaRnEtJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

went to walker today snowline is just above park entrance wasnt reall bad but definitly has snow was fun but be ready for it
FmIaRnEtJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #11
itchyfingerz
2007 JK Wrangler 

Jk

I was up around Evens Creek yesterday. Road turns to snow halfway up, with the parking lot (staging area) :tea: about a foot deep. I could not get to the Rainier viewspot past Evens creek with stock tires. People getting stuck here and there on main road, but not too deep yet. Saw about 20 other people up there on Saturday.
itchyfingerz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #12
elkfan2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You guys all need to come down for the snow run on the 13th.
elkfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #13
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyfingerz
I was up around Evens Creek yesterday. Road turns to snow halfway up, with the parking lot (staging area) about a foot deep. I could not get to the Rainier viewspot past Evens creek with stock tires. People getting stuck here and there on main road, but not too deep yet. Saw about 20 other people up there on Saturday.
I talked to one of the guys in my club. . . they headed up the 520 trail up to the top (about 1200 - 1500 ft higher in elevation than the parking lot). Eventually they worked their way over the rock garden to the top of Evan's Creek. It sounded like getting across the rock garden was interesting and I get the image of a battering ram sort of methodology to forward progress to push through the trail. They said they didn't leave until 4am. Sounds like a good time.
Unread 01-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #14
bryans98tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkfan2
You guys all need to come down for the snow run on the 13th.
Where is 'here'? Is that the one where you were talking about meeting at the Safeway? I may try but I am looking at going to a build party on the 12th for a fellow Club member so I don't know if I will be there. I am planning on going down to Castle Rock on the 19th though.
Unread 01-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #15
elkfan2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryans98tj
Where is 'here'? Is that the one where you were talking about meeting at the Safeway? I may try but I am looking at going to a build party on the 12th for a fellow Club member so I don't know if I will be there. I am planning on going down to Castle Rock on the 19th though.
Check the thread for Jan 13th snow run.
elkfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.