Standard Creek, Fairbanks, AK - 5 Dec 2009 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Alaska Jeep Forum > Standard Creek, Fairbanks, AK - 5 Dec 2009

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
rpiereck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Standard Creek, Fairbanks, AK - 5 Dec 2009

So today I took my Jeep Patriot off roading. I mean real off roading, not some dirt road with some potholes, I mean miles of snow, a creek crossing over a rickety bridge, tons of winch pulls, skidplates being used, a few scratches on the sides and all that.

The trail boss told us the trail would be easy and that stock vehicles would be allowed. My Wrangler had a leak on the radiator and was missing the required full size spare, so I loaded up all my recovery gear and hit the trail with the Patriot.

In the end of the day the Pat did not disapoint. For a Jeep with stock street tires it did very good, and I was running regular street tire pressures. Of course I did not get traction on the slipperiest places and slid off the road when the snow was really thick and the ground sloped sideways.

The Patriot did slightly better than a stock Wrangler with AT tires, who was sliding all over the place and getting no traction on the snow.

The tow hooks were used a lot, once to pull the Patriot off a creek bridge, and a few other times to pull it back on the road, or over icy slopes. We had a Suzuki Samurai, four Wrangler TJs and the Patriot, and only the Samurai and one TJ crossed the creek under their own power, the Pat wasn't the only one getting the winch.

I really had a blast driving the Patriot off road, but although the Pat survived, this trail was too much for the little Jeep, next time I'll bring the Wrangler.

Okkar and Dan's TJs, my Patriot and Kelly's Samurai

Okkar's TJ

The stock Patriot that came out to ride (and be winched around)

Trail Boss Kelly providing the winching with his Suzuki after crossing the creek

Okker being winched out of the Creek

The Patriot high centered on the skidplates, got winched out too

Kelly pulling a winch line to get Dan out of the creek bridge

Okkar took up winching duties after Kelly had issues with his

Keely spotting Ged across the creek, he ended up getting stuck on the creek too

Ged broke his top and busted a window on his TJ when he popped out of a hole and hit a foot wide tree log

Something is wrong here...

Kelly's Zuki was breaking trail all day long

Dan getting the Warn treatment

Just small tug

Zuki went off the trail, Patriot went off the trail... it was quite a tricky winch pull to get both out

Rigging a tricky pull between the Zuki and the Patriot

Kelly and I getting ready to pull the Patriot

Frozen Axles in the woods

Okkar providing a quick chain pull on Dan's TJ

Dan was having issues with his General Grabber AT2 tires. For snow this deep you need some good mud tires.

After this it got pretty dark fast and I got no more good pictures.

More photos here: Picasa Web Albums - Renato - Frozen Axles ...

Videos are being uploaded now, will post later.

JKS Adjustable control arms - JKS 1.25" Body Lift - JKS 1" Engine Mount Lift
Old Man Emu 4" coils - Rancho 5000 shocks - Teraflex front adj trackbar - RE rear track bar bracket
33/12.5x15 Wrangler Duratracs - Tabor 12k Winch - Hella 500F Foglights
Hella Supertone Horns - Uniden CB radio

rpiereck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Mitchness
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nice report. I can see why there were so many issues with the creek crossing. The bridge is too damn narrow for anything, but a dirt bike! :crazy:

Impressive to see you wheel a car out there. But you held your own despite the snow issues.
Mitchness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
rpiereck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The Patriot proved itself pretty well, consideing the trail conditions.

JKS Adjustable control arms - JKS 1.25" Body Lift - JKS 1" Engine Mount Lift
Old Man Emu 4" coils - Rancho 5000 shocks - Teraflex front adj trackbar - RE rear track bar bracket
33/12.5x15 Wrangler Duratracs - Tabor 12k Winch - Hella 500F Foglights
Hella Supertone Horns - Uniden CB radio

rpiereck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Looks like a blast.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.