Stampede Trail AK, magic bus - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Alaska Jeep Forum > Stampede Trail AK, magic bus

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Beltfed09
2009 JK Wrangler 

Stampede Trail AK, magic bus

anyone know if the trail out to the Magic Bus in Denali that is off the Stampede trail is Jeepable with a good rig??? Ive thought about taking a jeep trip in summer of next year up through wyoming, montana, and ending up in Alaska. I would like to jeep out to the Magic Bus from the movie "into the wild" and camp a couple nights out there. I have seen videos and read stories of people taking four wheelers out there

Unread 09-03-2009, 02:48 AM   #2
Beltfed09
2009 JK Wrangler 

no one.........
Unread 09-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
jeeptj333
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i havent been up here too long in alaska but i think you can only get there in the winter because you have to cross the chena river and i dont think trucks can make it back that far (HOPE THIS HELPS)
jeeptj333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
jeeptj333
1998 TJ Wrangler 

so i was wrong im in a club up in alaska now and we are going out there in 2 weeks
Unread 02-20-2010, 02:43 AM   #5
AmnWatkins
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What club are you in? I'm in Anchorage, more specifically on Elmendorf AFB and i just got my Jeep so once i build it up i'd like to find some people to wheel with and some that hold or help out with event around town. Let me know if you don't mind.
Unread 02-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
jeeptj333
1998 TJ Wrangler 

check out Frozen Axles Offroad - Powered by vBulletin they have a link to some of the offroad clubs in anchorage
Unread 02-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
AmnWatkins
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you, will do.
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
jeeptj333
1998 TJ Wrangler 

crossing one of the rivers to the bus

heading down the valley

at the bus

Unread 03-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
jeeptj333
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i have a few more pictures of this trip as well
Unread 11-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Crossing in winter is doable on 31's with chains, 33+'s with lockers. Summer you need 40's or bigger. No joke. And you don't cross the Chena river, you cross the Teklanika and Savage rivers. Both of which are braided rivers that are doable early mornings, and get deeper/faster as the day progresses and snow on the mountains melts. Late summer should be the easiest time as it's driest, without all the break-up snow and ice melt from the previous winter hanging around. But it'll still have serious mud holes.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2011, 03:15 AM   #11
MCObray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptj333 View Post

Way jealous. I can only dream of getting there someday.
RIP Christopher McCandless.
Unread 11-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #12
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

doesn't take more than a plane ride and an empty seat already heading out there. a couple of the clubs up here do annual trips to the bus...I'm sure if you really wanted to get out there, someone would be willing to let you tag along.

And Chris McCandless was a moron. but that's an argument for another time.

One more thing: it's not the Magic Bus. There's nothing magical about it. It's a leave-behind from the mine that used to operate out there, and some fool died in it.
Unread 01-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
dudeious

not a magic bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGeo View Post
doesn't take more than a plane ride and an empty seat already heading out there. a couple of the clubs up here do annual trips to the bus...I'm sure if you really wanted to get out there, someone would be willing to let you tag along.

And Chris McCandless was a moron. but that's an argument for another time.

One more thing: it's not the Magic Bus. There's nothing magical about it. It's a leave-behind from the mine that used to operate out there, and some fool died in it.
nothing magical about the bus, yet you drove your jeep out there and took pictures with it lol. sounds like you wanted to see what the moron did too. guess you have more in common with idiots than you think.
dudeious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
anebrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeious View Post
nothing magical about the bus, yet you drove your jeep out there and took pictures with it lol. sounds like you wanted to see what the moron did too. guess you have more in common with idiots than you think.
Forum rule number 1 - pay attention to who post's what so you don't look like an idiot accusing someone of something they didn't do.

I.e. Show me the pictures that AKGeo posted?
anebrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #15
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeious View Post
First of all, I didn't take those pictures and I am not in them. I've never been there.

Secondly, the trip there is well worth the time. It's about the journey, not the destination. I don't give a good ******* about McCandless and the location of his demise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.