post #1 of Old 02-06-2008, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
elizer

Question Moving to Alaska, buying a jeep

Hi. Im currently stationed at Ft. Bragg, North carolina. I just got orders to go to Alaska. I currently have a 2007 Acura Tl Type S as much as i love the car it wont be practical in alaska im sure. Im not sure what the road conditions are gonna be like but i dont think it will handle it too well. So i decided im going to trade it in for a 08 Wrangler.

What kind of setup should i go for to handle Alaska's roads (and off roads if it comes to it)?

Are winches a necessity?

Should i get the Rubicon or the X.

Is the locking differential standard on the rubicon?

Money really isn't an issue for most of the mods ill have to do to it .

Will hardtop be a must?

Any extra advice will be great thank you in advance.

post #2 of Old 02-06-2008, 05:54 PM
sea1wml
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I am very envious of you elizer. I was raised in Alaska and would have never moved except my company sent me to Georgia. I would go back in a heart-beat. Anyway, you will want to think through all the seasons and the different challenges imposed by them. Be cautious of a short wheel based vehicle on icy roads. Once the back end slips a little bit, you will be spinning circles before you have time to correct. That usually puts you into the ditch. 4x4 is very nice but not a requirement for driving in icy/snow covered roads. It is very nice in the summer to find those unknown fishing spots where you can have the place to yourself. Buy a good map and look for water, there will be fish. There are several good 4x4 clubs in Alaska and many off-road trails for the taking. Alaska is a great place to enjoy the wilderness and off-road. As long as you are not on private property (only in metropolitan areas like Anchorage) you have a right to go and do as you please. Enjoy, ML
post #3 of Old 02-06-2008, 08:48 PM
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizer View Post
Hi. Im currently stationed at Ft. Bragg, North carolina. I just got orders to go to Alaska. I currently have a 2007 Acura Tl Type S as much as i love the car it wont be practical in alaska im sure. Im not sure what the road conditions are gonna be like but i dont think it will handle it too well. So i decided im going to trade it in for a 08 Wrangler.
What kind of setup should i go for to handle Alaska's roads (and off roads if it comes to it)?
3" lift w/33 minimum tires

Are winches a necessity?
Only if you go out alone

Should i get the Rubicon or the X?
If I could afford it, a Rubi

Is the locking differential standard on the rubicon?
Yes, front and rear

Money really isn't an issue for most of the mods ill have to do to it .
If you do the above, you won't need to sink anymore money into it.

Will hardtop be a must?
I would, as the Rubi comes with both, at least till 06.

Any extra advice will be great thank you in advance.

2001 Jeep TJ Sport, SOLD!
2013 JK Sport, 6 Speed manual, RC 3.5" Series II, GY DTs 315/70/17, Pro Comp 7005s 17x8, Rubi 44s
post #4 of Old 02-06-2008, 08:57 PM
LIJeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

lucky you i would love to be stationed in alaska, ill be going in the oppisite direction though, being shipped to NAS pensacola FL
post #5 of Old 02-07-2008, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
elizer

thanks for the help guys i appreciate it.
I understand that if u go with a 33inch tire you wont have to change the gearing? but anything higher you do. the height of the lift doens't matter then?

ya im really excited about alaska. it will be cold but im really the outdoorsy type so ill enjoy it.
post #6 of Old 03-03-2008, 01:56 PM
SwearingYeti

1991 YJ Wrangler 

where are you getting staioned? Wainwright or Rich? Im in Wainwright. Its damn cold, so I bought a Cherokee lol. It will get down to 50 below, So a dry cell battery is a must.

1991 Red YJ - 2.5L
1988 Red YJ -304ci
1989 OD XJ- 4.0L
post #7 of Old 03-15-2008, 01:10 AM
ianftlew03
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i am stationed in fort wainwright and own a jeep as my daily driver and offroad toy. i will let you know that a short wheel base rig is not the best for daily driving on ice up here. i rolled mine going straight at 50mph down the highway my second day in the state. i would say, unless you plan on using the jeep offroad for fun also, stick with the car as your daily driver. the roads stay plowed up here. it is the ice that gets you.

...not so simple anymore
post #8 of Old 10-13-2008, 06:05 PM
arctic_express
2005 LJ Wrangler 

check out arcticoffroad.com were always interested in meeting new people who want to explore alaska