Fairbanks, AK four wheeling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Alaska Jeep Forum > Fairbanks, AK four wheeling

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
rpiereck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Fairbanks, AK four wheeling

Today members of Fairbanks' Frozen Axles Offroad club (Frozen Axles Offroad - Powered by vBulletin) went on a trail ride from Murphy Dome to Chatanika River. Murphy Dome is a 3,000 foot tall mountain with an Air Force radar station on top, and the trail we rode on leads down the mountain to the Chatanika River, which like any other river in Alaska, has great fishing! But we weren't fishing today, just riding.

No one seemed to know the condition of the trail. The only two guys on our group that had ridden it before said it used to be a 6 foot wide trail with some hard spots, including two water crossings. The thing is, this year we had a humongous forest fire in that area and the trail had been used as an access point for the fire fighting vehicles.

When we got to the "trail" it was now a semi-graded road wide enough for three vehicles... determined to make the 13 miles to the Chatanika River we pressed on, hoping the trail would get better...

Despite the "trail" now being more a road than a proper trail we had some fun today. Ron and wife, Matt (bootsless) and puppy, Shane, Corey and I showed up.

We met up at a local super market parking lot and soon were on the trail head. No one aired down their tires because the trail looked easy, and we were off. We found some mud along the way, but nothing to get stuck on. I think if anyone put their rig in low range gears it was only to keep the speed under control. The ride to the Chatanika River was a breeze.

On the way back Corey had some issues with his Jeep running hot but he made it out under his own power, pulling over when his temperature went up. We were back at the top of Murphy Dome by 2 pm and made it back home. It was another fun four wheeling day.

Shane, Ron and Matt with his puppy in front of Shane's Suzuki and Matt's TJ.

Ron's and Corey's Jeeps.

My TJ looking semi-clean before getting dirty on the trail.

Ron said this used to be a 6 foot wide trail before this year's Minto Flats fires. The firefighters had it widened to a three car wide road. You could probably make it all the way on a sedan now.

Our first stop was on a lookout that viewed the Minto Flats. You can see the at the bottom of the picture how close the fire got to Fairbanks: closer than any of us had suspected.

Three Jeeps and a Sammi at the stop.

Shane posing next to his Sammi with his reeferman hat... Shane was riding his daily driver Samurai because his lifted Sammi was broken awaiting parts. He had to endure many jokes about wheeling on a toy car...

We had to pull over once for a potty break for Matt's puppy... it was a false alarm.

Ready to roll after puppy potty break. Where's the Suzuki?

This is the closest thing to an action shot I got today: Corey splashing some mud on one of the many wet potholes along the way.

In no time we made it to the river bank, a little dirtier than when we started.

That's what it's all about!

Determined to do some wheeling other than graded roads we stopped on a rock pile on the way back. We couldn't resist putting our rigs on the rocks!

Ron was the first to climb the pile and pose for some shots.

Jeeps everywhere!

And a Zuki too!

Ron and Matt pulled up on the side of the rock pile for a flex contest. Ron tried so hard to beat Matt his springs almost popped out and were up for grabs...

Still determined to get some trail wheeling, Ron took us on a narrow side trail, but unfortunately Corey's TJ was running hot and we had to turn around after it cooled off.

We made it out in one piece and drove home, my Jeep now covered in mud... again!

More pictures are here: Picasa Web Albums - Renato - Frozen Axles ...

JKS Adjustable control arms - JKS 1.25" Body Lift - JKS 1" Engine Mount Lift
Old Man Emu 4" coils - Rancho 5000 shocks - Teraflex front adj trackbar - RE rear track bar bracket
33/12.5x15 Wrangler Duratracs - Tabor 12k Winch - Hella 500F Foglights
Hella Supertone Horns - Uniden CB radio

rpiereck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Regardless of the type of road, still looked like an awesome trip.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #3
zjzach
1993 ZJ 

i went to uaf for a few years and went wheelin all around there too. i remember that road being a real wilderness pinstriper for a ways till it opened back up. wish i would have known about frozen axles while i was up there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.