Driving to Alaska... from SW Idaho... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Alaska Jeep Forum > Driving to Alaska... from SW Idaho...

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
JBravo41
2010 JK Wrangler 

Driving to Alaska... from SW Idaho...

I'm wanting to drive my jeep up as I work up there and don't have any transportation besides my truck... PITA taking a Peterbilt to the Safeway for some groceries... Anyway... I'm thinking 4.5 days of hard driving up thru hermiston,kamloops, prince george, beaver creek, tok, then into anchorage...
Am I being realistic or would it be closer to 6-7 days depending on road conditions?

Any info would be interested...

JB

JBravo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
JBravo41
2010 JK Wrangler 

appreciated, not interested... lol... already tired and haven't started the trip
Unread 09-25-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
Tumbleweed01
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Took me 25 hours straight through from Fairbanks to Great Falls, Montana when I came out several years ago.
Go to your local bookstore and get a copy of the "Milepost". Around $20 and $ well spent for driving info to Alaska.
Tumbleweed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
JBravo41
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the info on the book... I'll look for it today... Not sure how accurate it is or how it measures times but google maps shows 47 hrs for your trip from Fairbanks to Great Falls... But if u did it in 25hrs I should be able to cut the google estimate in half for my planned trip to Anchorage...
Unread 09-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Tumbleweed01
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not sure how google figured it but I was not going over any speed limits, just drove consistant with little wasted time at any fuel stops-ate out of an ice chest. Sorry, the 25 hours got me to the Canadian border, not to Great Falls-would have been a couple extra hours. There was a backup at the border that took an hour or so to get past. Had a co-driver but just talked the whole time. The year was 1994. The Milepost is worth hundreds of $ for the info you get, just invaluable info. I drove up from Las Vegas in late Oct, 1992, pulling a 18' trailer. Took 7-8 days, only one driver and tried not to drive after dark due to animals and weather. Late in the fall, the daylight was pretty short and many days were only 300 miles or so.
One tip: You will see little tiny flags on the side of the road that look alot like the flags they mark sprinklers in your yard with. These flags are to mark the frost heaves so they can repair them in the summer. You will learn to spot them and slow down, or you will be hitting the roof with your head. LOL
Second tip: Get gas (top off the tank) every time you can. It can be a long ways between stations; especially near the end of the tourist season. Lots of places just plain lock up and leave when winter shows up.
Tumbleweed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #6
JBravo41
2010 JK Wrangler 

Got the book... lots of valuable info... thanks for the tip

JB
Unread 10-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

You're not interested in taking the ferry?
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 12:45 AM   #8
Cool92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just did the drive from yale michigan to wasilla ak 4300 miles last month took me bout 7 days mostly driving with some stops hear and there. From Montana it took me bout three days but one of the days i spent fixing my jeep. I would drive it you cannot beat the scenery on the Alaska highway. I would recommend reading my topic on the trip I updated it every day of the trip with lots of pictures and info.http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4000-mile-trip-yj-alaska-1083144/
1st tip make sure everything is in tip top shape you will not see auto parts stores for hundreds of miles trust me on that one You should not have a problem with your 2010 wrangler though.

2ed bring extra gas It saved my *** when i ran out before i reached whitehorse if you drive at night alot of gas stations are closed. And bring stp fuel treatment I ran into bad gas a few times.

3ed you will not have cell phone service in 90 percent of the time in northern canada some places they dont even have 911 service.

4th have a good set of off road lights if you drive at night lots of wildlife and sharp curves.

5th the road gets in really bad shape lots of dips and gravel sections in northern canada

6th enjoy the trip its a trip of a life time what part of Alaska are you going to?
Unread 10-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

He put that in his first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBravo41 View Post
... I'm thinking 4.5 days of hard driving up thru hermiston,kamloops, prince george, beaver creek, tok, then into anchorage
Wow, those were some great pictures of your trip. It almost makes me want to go to Alaska.
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
Cool92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks overread that But yea I stayed in Edmonton first night Fort Nelson second Whitehorse third then to wasilla. all three were pretty big citys and really nice.
Unread 10-02-2010, 03:30 AM   #11
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

When are you going to be making this drive?

[QUOTE=ReconSeamanVet;9671080]You need to look her dead in the eye and say

"Baby,...I'm a recon man. I live a life of danger."[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Olive"]JeepForumRecon[COLOR="Silver"]Member #1[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
ReconBen is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.