Alaska Tire Exposure Laws? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Alaska Jeep Forum > Alaska Tire Exposure Laws?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 05-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
AmnWatkins
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Alaska Tire Exposure Laws?

So I got a fix it ticket on Monday, well two fix it tickets. One was for mirrors. I didn't have any side mirrors on my newly painted half doors and the Officer told me I need both sides. I then found the reg that states I need the Left, I'm also required to have one mirror near the center of the vehicle or on both sides. He misinformed me which has now got me thinking about infraction number two: Tire exposure. He said that I can't have more that 14 inches of exposed tire, so I am required to put mud flaps on. Not to sound like a jerk but mud flaps are pretty dang lame. On a giant muddin truck or whatever, yeah that fine, but on a Jeep it's just stupid. Plus eveywhere I look I see way more that 14 inces of tire exposed. In any case, I looked on the AK legislature website pertaining to vehicle laws and nothing has come up on tire exposure, only required tread depth. I will avoid mud flaps at any cost. If anyone knows more on this let me know.

TIA for any assistance.

Unread 05-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
AmnWatkins
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nevermind, found it

wilco...
Unread 05-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
krnkimchi702
1995 XJ Cherokee 

what did the law say?
krnkimchi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
AmnWatkins
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Anti-spray device is required when more than 14 inces of tire is exposed. Lame. Everywhere I look I see trucks that have far more than 14 inches of exposure. I bet a f-350 right off the line will have more than 14 inches and no flaps.

S*** is weak.
Unread 05-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
krnkimchi702
1995 XJ Cherokee 

its just like any law.. people get away with it and some dont.. i used to have a car with limo tint (bought and lived in vegas) and as soon as i got here, i was harassed with the tint even though i had an out of state license plate..
Unread 05-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
krnkimchi702
1995 XJ Cherokee 

just put some cheap mudflaps and the rip it off lol and say it got ripped off if you get pulled over
Unread 05-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Wildblu

AmnWatkins, I'm really curious where you got this ticket, and from whom. Was it in Anchorage from a city cop? On base, or on the Glenn?

I'm at Elmo also, and live up in the Valley. Only problem I've ever had with a ticket was getting one from a Valley cop at about 0100, as I was driving to the airport, literally to deploy over here to Iraq. (for failure to fully stop at a stop sign) I thought if there ever was a circumstance to give a guy a break, that'd be it. I guess not.
Wildblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
AmnWatkins
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I got it while driving towards the jail on 4th here in Anchorage and he pulled in behind me and pulled me over. That is super lame that he gave you a ticket as you were on your way to serve a tour in Iraq. I respect law enforcment a lot, but that guy right there can suck it.

I put some on to clear the ticket that are quickly removable (velcro). I don't want to keep them in the back and saying that I just lost them while wheeling can be taken as "they fell of on the trail and are still out there on the trail" I'd rather if I do get another ticket just head down and get it cleared again. I know I should just get them and leave them on but I dislike them.
Unread 07-19-2011, 12:22 AM   #9
akgreenie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

where did you find this law? I remember finding a great website that had all the motor vehicle laws laid out, but haven't been able to find it again. Also, do you think that law would apply to the front tires too? I mean, the only person you could be spraying is yourself!
akgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
Heavy D
2007 JK Wrangler 

I know that this is a few months old, but does, anyone know how they measure the 14" of exposure? Is it sticking outside the fenders, is it below the bottom of the fenders, is it per tire or all 4 added together?
Heavy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 01:43 AM   #11
akgreenie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I believe they measure per tire, the distance from the bottom of the fender(or mudflap) to the ground. I am not sure about the laws regarding the tire being wider than the fender, but I sure would like to know about that, to see if I could look into getting some flat front fenders.
akgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
Heavy D
2007 JK Wrangler 

I found something on the web and you're right. The 14" is the max distance allowed from the bottom of the fender/mudflap (or in the case of the Wrangler maybe the rear bumper since it comes up to the rear tires). I couldn't find anything on width either. Since I'm in Fairbanks, I think I'll take my chances. I don't think they are near as bad as the cops around Anchorage.
Heavy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 12:41 AM   #13
Cool92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Iv been pulled over four times since Iv been in Alaska all for BS reasons, one cop thought my jeep was stolen because he could not find my Vin in his computer. I cant beleve he gave you a fix it ticket about your tires, I mean look around everyother vehicle up hear should get a ticket then, my guess he must be a toyota fan.
Unread 11-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've never been pulled over in my Jeep up here. Had it since '05 and had tires sticking out since '06, busted fenders since early '08, no front turn signals from about the same time because I didn't want to keep spending money on housings that are just going to break again.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.