Alaska/Canada Jeep Adventure - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Alaska Jeep Forum > Alaska/Canada Jeep Adventure

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Reply
Unread 10-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #106
NMBruce
Member
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: , SW Colorado
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
If we do this, I'll just be doing it for fun. Dates will be posted. Folks will have to make their own ferry reservations and cover all their expenses. Other than maybe asking something like $25.00/vehicle for printing up maps and itineraries, there will be no exchange of money. We'll see how it works out. I'll be looking at your trip with your group for pointers.

My trip will be for three weeks from the jump-off point near the WA/Canada border. I have no idea if anyone is interested in going with us, and I don't know where they'll be coming from. And three weeks is a long time to be gone (and that's not including the travel time to get to the jump-of point). So while your short "get to know you" idea sounds good, unfortunately it won't get to happen. I'm hoping that with emails and such we won't have any expectation missunderstandings. I am used to dealing with soldiers and teenagers - I won't leave anything open for (mis)interpretation.

And I'll be putting out a list of vehicle requirements, and definitely a CB is required.

And coops2K I'd like to get a copy of the waiver you use for your group.
That is it, you are just the drive leader, and not responsible for anyone or anything else, except you and your stuff.

One thing I did do on my drives was group shirts or pullover and they where great hits. Also, cash in my hands before I ordered them.
here is a picture of the pullover, they are rain resistance and do keep a chill off.
http://forums.s2kca.com/photopost/da...hirts_6605.jpg

NMBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #107
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
That is it, you are just the drive leader, and not responsible for anyone or anything else, except you and your stuff.

One thing I did do on my drives was group shirts or pullover and they where great hits. Also, cash in my hands before I ordered them.
here is a picture of the pullover, they are rain resistance and do keep a chill off.
http://forums.s2kca.com/photopost/da...hirts_6605.jpg
I like the pullovers; cool idea. Especially for Alaska!
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #108
Bishop1975
Registered User
1990 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 49
Hay Army RN I have a question, I want to build a trailer like yours could you put up close up picks of it and bill of materials and measurements. Or send to my email pbishop9846@mysvc.skagit.edu. Thanks Phillip
Bishop1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #109
NMBruce
Member
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: , SW Colorado
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard338 View Post
Great advice on getting The Milepost, best single soure of info for this trip. If you're leaving from New Mexico you'll have two less days of what I call "transit stage" time than we did.

Things to consider:

If you're thinking about taking the ferry one way then consider taking it south on the way home instead of north going out. You will have more options if the road washes out or other problems come up. The only thing is having to be at the ferry port on a particular day/time.

Plan your trip based on your slowest rig (or driver), it will save you a lot of stress in the long run (and it is a long run!).

The Arctic Circle isn't that far from Fairbanks but do you really want to go that far and not go to Coldfoot and Deadhorse? We did it in a day and a half BUT it was in a Grand Cherokee running 60-70 all the way. We didnít do the bus tour to the Arctic Ocean, but that take longer and more planning because of the notice involved.

Camping is cheaper but it takes more time, and you have to haul the gear. Gas is expensive ($.50-1.00 more the Dallas). Hotel rooms run about $100 +/- a night, but many come with breakfast. We took basic camping gear just in case and never used it. We came close to needing it when the road washout problem came up, so it never hurts to be prepared.

If you are going to drive the Dalton, they recommend you take 2 spare tires, fuel, basic spare parts, ect.
Now that I have been there I know why, you are pretty much on your own. Itís 240+ miles from Coldfoot to Prudhoe Bay and very little in the way of vehicle services (read none). If you need it, you better have it with you. A lot of Alaska- Canada is remote and even the ďtownsĒ arenít very big. I will say that everyone we met was friendly and helpful.

The Dalton and the Denali are both mostly gravel of the ball bearing class. Itís a lot of fun to drive on at speed as long as you watch it. The Denali Highway is much more winding and has more blind corners; the Dalton is wide with lots of steep grade changes. Atigun Pass was steep and greasy.

This is just a few things I could think of. If you have any questions feel free

RW
RW

When you went up the Dalton Highway, where did you stay in Deadhorse?
Was there anything you did or saw in Deadhorse?

We are still deciding if this will be part of our trip or not. I think that doing it in one day each way is the way to go, like you did. Even if we avg 40 mph, it is still only 12.5 hours driving. The bigger question now, is cost of the hotel rooms. With one guy bring 6-8 people, and I read rooms are $110 per person, a $1000.00 hotel night stay is very steep.

Also read that one of the hotels is closed and they where the one running the tours in Deadhorse. This I can worry about a little later.
NMBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #110
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop1975 View Post
Hay Army RN I have a question, I want to build a trailer like yours could you put up close up picks of it and bill of materials and measurements. Or send to my email pbishop9846@mysvc.skagit.edu. Thanks Phillip
Here's a complete write-up on my little trailer: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/

The write-up goes into depth about all aspects of the build, to include pictures and measurements. Let me know if you have any questions if I didn't talk about it in-depth enough in the write-up. If you build one, post a write-up on the link above.

I can't say enough about how handy it was having this little trailer with the TJ. Being able to have enough camping equipment really made the trip pleasurable. It pulled very easily, and there is more ground clearance under the trailer's axle than the TJ's axle. If you've read this thread from the beginning I'm sure you'd understand. I don't have many pictures of the trailer at work, and most of the ones I have at home are in the trailer write-up in the above link.
alaska-jeep-trailer-picture.jpg  
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #111
Richard338
Registered User
2006 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
RW

When you went up the Dalton Highway, where did you stay in Deadhorse?
Was there anything you did or saw in Deadhorse?

We are still deciding if this will be part of our trip or not. I think that doing it in one day each way is the way to go, like you did. Even if we avg 40 mph, it is still only 12.5 hours driving. The bigger question now, is cost of the hotel rooms. With one guy bring 6-8 people, and I read rooms are $110 per person, a $1000.00 hotel night stay is very steep.

Also read that one of the hotels is closed and they where the one running the tours in Deadhorse. This I can worry about a little later.
We didn't spend the night in Deadhorse, we got there about 9pm, drove around, got gas and headed back south, got into Coldfoot a little after 2am. Of the hotels we checked out one was full, the other was $100 per person. Did not take the tour up to the North Sea as we wanted to go as far as you can drive and it takes 24 hour notice for the tour. There should be somewhere to camp around Coldfoot and maybe even farther north than that so you might want to try camping there and making the drive to Prudhoe and back to the camp in 1 day. Doesn't really get cold untill you get close to DH. It would be a long day but much cheaper than a hotel. It's still daylight at 2am so you don't really notice how late it is 'till you look at your watch.
Richard338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #112
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,212
We thought about making a run to Deadhorse, but we figured our time could be better used exploring elsewhere. Plus the isolation of the run up there, the write-up of the road conditions (bring two spares, the description of the road surface as being corrosive to metal, etc.) sort of scared us away from it too. If you're with a group though it should be fine. I would just plan on camping off the side of the road somewhere. Maybe next time we'll run up to Deadhorse if we've got others with us and they want to make that run up there.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #113
NMBruce
Member
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: , SW Colorado
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard338 View Post
We didn't spend the night in Deadhorse, we got there about 9pm, drove around, got gas and headed back south, got into Coldfoot a little after 2am. Of the hotels we checked out one was full, the other was $100 per person. Did not take the tour up to the North Sea as we wanted to go as far as you can drive and it takes 24 hour notice for the tour. There should be somewhere to camp around Coldfoot and maybe even farther north than that so you might want to try camping there and making the drive to Prudhoe and back to the camp in 1 day. Doesn't really get cold untill you get close to DH. It would be a long day but much cheaper than a hotel. It's still daylight at 2am so you don't really notice how late it is 'till you look at your watch.
That was really pushing it. I did read about a couple of camp sites by Coldfoot, but then we would still have a 480 mile round trip or a couple of extra days. And with the tour company out of there, it becomes a bigger question mark. We would need a lot of rooms or worry about getting carried away by the state bird .
I dont see there being a lot to see in Deadhorse if you don't take a tour of the Arctic Ocean.
I don't know, lucky we have 18 months to plan


Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
We thought about making a run to Deadhorse, but we figured our time could be better used exploring elsewhere. Plus the isolation of the run up there, the write-up of the road conditions (bring two spares, the description of the road surface as being corrosive to metal, etc.) sort of scared us away from it too. If you're with a group though it should be fine. I would just plan on camping off the side of the road somewhere. Maybe next time we'll run up to Deadhorse if we've got others with us and they want to make that run up there.
The exploring other places or spending more time in Denali, might be where we go also. One of our guys goes up there for work and says the area south of Anchorage is really nice. If we drive the Dalton Highway, we will have 3-5 vehicles on this part of the trip, so if someone broke down, we could tow them back to Fairbanks.


Thanks for the info guys, I think on this one, the group or the guy who will have the 4-8 people, can make this decision, since he will be spending so much money. I will know by March which way we are going and should have time to plan from there.
NMBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #114
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,212
Here's a link to a map from the Milepost (let's see if it works)

http://www.milepost.com/resources/pa...eage_map_3.pdf

I read somewhere a list of the ten most scenic drives, and the Seward Highway (heading south from Anchorage) was on the list. I'm sure the Sterling highway would be nice too. When we go back (hopefully 2014) I'd like to check out this southern route (see map above).

The above map, and these next two pretty much should be able to help almost anyone start planning their Alaska/Canada adventure.

http://www.milepost.com/resources/pa...eage_map_1.pdf

http://www.milepost.com/resources/pa...eage_map_2.pdf

Ok; now I'm just playing. You can download these maps from the Milepost's website (but still get the book for all the info). Here are more detailed maps of the Seward and Sterling Highway for example.

http://www.milepost.com/resources/pa...ardhwy_map.pdf

http://www.milepost.com/resources/pa...ghwy_map_1.pdf

http://www.milepost.com/resources/pa...ghwy_map_2.pdf

Here's a link to the home page for the Milepost: http://www.milepost.com/home It truly is the Bible for anyone planning on visiting western Canada and Alaska.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #115
Richard338
Registered User
2006 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
That was really pushing it. I did read about a couple of camp sites by Coldfoot, but then we would still have a 480 mile round trip or a couple of extra days. And with the tour company out of there, it becomes a bigger question mark. We would need a lot of rooms or worry about getting carried away by the state bird .
I dont see there being a lot to see in Deadhorse if you don't take a tour of the Arctic Ocean.
I don't know, lucky we have 18 months to plan




The exploring other places or spending more time in Denali, might be where we go also. One of our guys goes up there for work and says the area south of Anchorage is really nice. If we drive the Dalton Highway, we will have 3-5 vehicles on this part of the trip, so if someone broke down, we could tow them back to Fairbanks.


Thanks for the info guys, I think on this one, the group or the guy who will have the 4-8 people, can make this decision, since he will be spending so much money. I will know by March which way we are going and should have time to plan from there.
It is a long way and there is not much in the way of touristy things to see in Dead Horse/ Prudhoe Bay. It was kind of cool in a sci-fi kind of way, but we went to drive the road and say we'd been there. The place has a post-apocalyptic feel to it that is hard to describe... Very industrial and defiantly oil patch. For me it was a "bucket list" thing and thatís a decision you have to make, kind of like climbing a mountain or running a marathon.
Richard338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #116
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard338 View Post
It is a long way and there is not much in the way of touristy things to see in Dead Horse/ Prudhoe Bay. It was kind of cool in a sci-fi kind of way, but we went to drive the road and say we'd been there. The place has a post-apocalyptic feel to it that is hard to describe... Very industrial and defiantly oil patch. For me it was a "bucket list" thing and thatís a decision you have to make, kind of like climbing a mountain or running a marathon.
That's why if I decide to make a run north while in Alaska, I want to check out the Demster Highway and go to Inuvik. According to the Milepost it's supposed to be quite a nice drive.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #117
Richard338
Registered User
2006 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
That's why if I decide to make a run north while in Alaska, I want to check out the Demster Highway and go to Inuvik. According to the Milepost it's supposed to be quite a nice drive.
I don't remember anywhere we went up there that wasn't worth seeing, the entire trip was spectacular. So have fun planning it but try not to over think it to much. After you get home you'll spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to go back. Also there is a nice campground just south of Beaver Creek that is one of the old construction camps for the ALCAN, really nice people, has a couple of "cabins"(small bulding moved in), lots of camp sites, along with showers and wi-fi.
dsc_3834.jpg   alcan-camp.jpg  
Richard338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #118
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard338 View Post
I don't remember anywhere we went up there that wasn't worth seeing, the entire trip was spectacular. So have fun planning it but try not to over think it to much. After you get home you'll spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to go back. Also there is a nice campground just south of Beaver Creek that is one of the old construction camps for the ALCAN, really nice people, has a couple of "cabins"(small bulding moved in), lots of camp sites, along with showers and wi-fi.
I like those cabins.

Part of the fun of our Alaska trip was not always knowing what was around the next corner. Or a brief mention of a museum in the Milepost or a booklet that turned out to be awesome that we spent hours at. I love these little independent places out in the middle of nowhere. And the scenery never got old.

We can't wait to get back (2014 at the earliest). We're going to stay a little longer at the places we really enjoyed (like Anchorage, Dawson); skip or just pass through the places that we don't feel like we need to go back to (like Fairbanks - sorry if you're from Fairbanks - not trying to insult anybody), and check out places we didn't get to see the first time (Like the Dempster Highway, south of Anchorage, and the Cassiar Highway).
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #119
NMBruce
Member
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: , SW Colorado
Posts: 308
Found this map,
http://www.yukoninfo.com/maps/dempster.htm
Can a person drive up to Tuktoyaktuk?
NMBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #120
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
Found this map,
http://www.yukoninfo.com/maps/dempster.htm
Can a person drive up to Tuktoyaktuk?
Google says...... no. Ok; I take that back. I guess you can drive on an ice road in the winter to get there. But for a minute there, when looking at your map, I was intrigued by the thought.

From my google search I found:

Welcome to Tuktoyaktuk!
Located in Canada's farthest northern region, Tuktoyaktuk lies on the shores of the Arctic Ocean at the tip of the Northwest Territories. Anglicised from an Inuvialuit word meaning 'resembling a caribou', Tuktoyaktuk, or simply Tuk, is a hamlet with a population hovering around 1,000. Accessible only by plane in the summer and by ice roads in winter, adventure companies based in Inuvik provide aerial tours as well as hunting and fishing excursions. Tour operators offers a range of activities including dog-sledding, igloo-construction, snowmobiling, ice-fishing and community and culture tours, all of which give visitors a glimpse into the lives and traditions of locals. Visitors who make the excursion north of the Arctic Circle to the Land of the Midnight Sun will be dazzled by the Northern Lights, as well as the unique landscape which includes massive ice-covered hills called pingos. A group of these can be seen along the Beaufort Sea, 5 km (3 mi) west of Tuk, at the Pingo Canadian Landmark.

But I wonder if a couple of well-prepared Jeeps could make it up to Tuk starting where the Dempster Highway ends at Inuvik. Somebody up there should know. Sounds like an adventure to me!
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.