Alaska/Canada Jeep Adventure - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Alaska Jeep Forum > Alaska/Canada Jeep Adventure

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Reply
Unread 10-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #91
Richard338
Registered User
2006 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
where was that last picture taken?
Jasper National Park, north of Banff.

Richard338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #92
Richard338
Registered User
2006 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 116
A few more pictures...
dsc_3692.jpg   dsc_3696.jpg   dsc_3711.jpg   dsc_3727.jpg   dsc_3739.jpg  

dsc_3852.jpg   dsc_3987.jpg  
Richard338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #93
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Clarksville, Tennessee
Posts: 2,194
Beautiful pictures!
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #94
NMBruce
Member
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: , SW Colorado
Posts: 307
Outstanding pictures.
NMBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #95
Richard338
Registered User
2006 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 116
Thanks, I really want to thank armyRN for having this thread. I've learned a lot from him about some of the things we didn't do due to time constraints. Thanks for letting us continue it, I'm having fun reliving some of it with you guys.
Richard338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #96
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Clarksville, Tennessee
Posts: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard338 View Post
Thanks, I really want to thank armyRN for having this thread. I've learned a lot from him about some of the things we didn't do due to time constraints. Thanks for letting us continue it, I'm having fun reliving some of it with you guys.
Thanks - it's also good to read about the places we weren't able to go to on our adventure trip.

I've got a saying: "If you don't plan it, it won't happen". I don't think anyone ever just wakes up and decides that's the day they're going to take three weeks off from work, load up the Jeep and trailer, and head to Alaska. And some folks might want to go, but don't know how to go about it.

So I'm putting this out for your consideration - it's a long way off, but you have to start somewhere:

If my buddy and I decided we wanted to go back to Alaska and Canada (we are) sometime May/June 2014 (and I'm not in Afghanistan) would anybody want to go with us? Hopefully you've read my report starting at the beginning of this thread. We'd rally in Bellingham WA on a specific date (sometime May/June 2014), take the ferry to Haines Alaska, and head over to Anchorage and then start working our way back (taking the long way of course) to Vancouver Canada/Bellingham WA returning three weeks after we departed Bellingham WA. I'd want to limit it to about 10-12 other vehicles if I get a large response. I can only herd so many kittens.

Figure it would cost about $2400 for the ferry (that's for two people and one vehicle - so about $1200/each), about $1000 in fuel/vehicle, $250 for campgrounds, eating out is very expensive (figure about $20 or more/person/meal no matter where you eat), and add in costs for museums and such, and lots of etc. I would put out a more detailed packing list and such if we get that far.

And this is not a money making venture for me; I just think it might be fun to do.

Vehicles limited to 4WD with high ground clearance (I consider a stock TJ as having high ground clearance; a Subaru sedan not so much). Small trailers definitely (4-6' max, 12" rims minimum although 13-15" would be much better), self contained pull behind trailers no; pop up trailers no (unless it's something like a Tentrax trailer), and no motor homes. Small truck campers ok . Full size matching spare tire in good condition required, tow points front and rear (2" receivers count as a tow point), etc.

We would have an itinerary, and understand that we can't see everything in Alaska and Canada, so some places we would just not be able to see this go-round. You would need to bring a spirit of adventure, willingness to work as a group, be punctual (i.e.: wheels rolling at 0900 means we're leaving camp at 0900 - that means you've eaten, taken down your tent, packed everything, and are ready to go at 0900), understand bathing is not always a daily option, and no whining!

Anyways, let me know what you think. Ask me questions. Send me a pm if you have any specific questions you don't want to post.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #97
NMBruce
Member
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: , SW Colorado
Posts: 307
I have to tell you that is a great offer and I know a lot of work going into it.
I have lead 2 groups of Honda S2000's in 2 different drives around NM, AZ, CO and it is not a easy task and a group of 4x4 around SW Colorado, most of the guys wanting to go to Alaska. Next March the group is going to Big Bend in TX, but I am not planning that one.
I will go if I am not leading my group and you have a spot open when my friends decide the date, or you could join us. I retire March of 2014 and my plans are a group of 4-5 vehicles going up the Alaska highway in June after school is out for 2-3 weeks, but it might have to get moved back to 2015
NMBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #98
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Clarksville, Tennessee
Posts: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
I have to tell you that is a great offer and I know a lot of work going into it.
I have lead 2 groups of Honda S2000's in 2 different drives around NM, AZ, CO and it is not a easy task and a group of 4x4 around SW Colorado, most of the guys wanting to go to Alaska. Next March the group is going to Big Bend in TX, but I am not planning that one.
I will go if I am not leading my group and you have a spot open when my friends decide the date, or you could join us. I retire March of 2014 and my plans are a group of 4-5 vehicles going up the Alaska highway in June after school is out for 2-3 weeks, but it might have to get moved back to 2015
Great minds think alike!

A lot of folks have the Alaska dream, but don't know where to start, or how to go about it (or don't want to do it by themselves). I'm the sort of guy that can plan and then do (it's a good trait to have when you're in the military).

If you have any words of wisdom regarding leading a group I'd love to hear them. I'd like to compare them to mine. Group dynamics can get interesting.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #99
NMBruce
Member
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: , SW Colorado
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Great minds think alike!

A lot of folks have the Alaska dream, but don't know where to start, or how to go about it (or don't want to do it by themselves). I'm the sort of guy that can plan and then do (it's a good trait to have when you're in the military).

If you have any words of wisdom regarding leading a group I'd love to hear them. I'd like to compare them to mine. Group dynamics can get interesting.
I am sure your Army experience helps you a lot. Here are things I have seen.
1) all stops take longer, gas, food, etc. You have 6 Jeeps that need gas and only 2 pumps available. Stopping to eat, many small places are not set up to take 10 people at once, so every stop takes longer than planned.
2) wheels rolling at 0900, might mean 0915, unless you have a good group or you're in a couple of days and everyone see you mean 0900. There will always be someone a little late, and it might be the same person(s) every time.
3) when camping everyone helps, if your stuff is packed and your ready to go, then lets get the someone else packed away. Same with setting up.
4) we did group meals, and had someone who like to cook, did a great job, so we let him cook, and everyone else did the other stuff.
5) BIG ONE, AT LEAST FOR WHAT I HAVE SEEN. YOU CAN NOT MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY, DON'T TRY (see #9) STOPS ALONG THE ROUTE, ie YOU MIGHT PLAN ONE HOUR AT A MUSEUM AND YOU WILL HAVE SOMEONE WHO WANTS MORE TIME AND ANOTHER WHO THINKS YOU SPENT TOO LONG. Plan the best you can and then go. On a S2000 tour, this happen at the VLA in central NM, I planned 45 mins, and it ended up everyone wanted longer 1.5 hours, just got to our hotel room late.
6) my group has been together for many years, so we all get along, but that is not the case with every group.
7) Vehicle shape, my group has a master mechanic along, and I request everyone have their vehicle checked by him before we leave. On a trip like this, the vehicles need to be in top shape before you leave home. If its not ready a week before, then think about not going. Things will happen along the way, but being stopped for a fan belt that should of been replaced 3 months ago should not be one of the reasons. Reading the "Milepost" service can be far away.
8) One great thing about camping and all the camp sites up in NW Canada and Alaska, is that you don't have to make xxx number of miles each day, if something takes longer than expected, you can stop early, if not then cover a few more miles. With my car drives, we had to make to the hotel for that night, a little more pressure. The Colorado trip, we just stopped when we found a good place.
9) relax and enjoy, because that is what this is all about. Sometimes I have a hard time doing that, because I worry about the things that I shouldn't, so relax and enjoy what is out there and the reason you came on the trip in the first place.

Most of my friends are coming from SE Texas, so the plan is a speed run to get to Dawson Creek and then slow down a little and see what we want. When we get to Fairbanks, then we take our time and go where we want and do what we want. I am just starting to map out routes to get some idea of how this might go. Then they get a speed run back, I will be retired so I can take my time. We are still looking into the ferry, as one friend might have 3-6 people with him and maybe 2 Jeeps that he would have to pay for.

I am asking each of them to give me any ideas of what they would like to see or do (2 other people now have the "Milepost) and then I will try to add that into the trip. Mine is the Arctic Circle and to go to Deadhorse or Inuvik. The group will decide in March if getting up early to make Deadhorse in one day or not. Someone has already said something about going to the area south of Anchorage and then someone else might want to fish for a day. The plan is every 6 or 7 day, will be a hotel night and the next morning some laundry time.

if I think of more I will post
NMBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #100
NMBruce
Member
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: , SW Colorado
Posts: 307
One more thing, everyone signs a waiver that the group leader or anyone else in the group is not responsible for the actions of others and for the dumb things they might do or how they drive. That is only for your own protection, as many of the people going, you will be meeting for the first time.
NMBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #101
NMBruce
Member
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: , SW Colorado
Posts: 307
Everyone should have CB's, makes communicating a lot easier
NMBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #102
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Clarksville, Tennessee
Posts: 2,194
Thanks coops2k - everything you said makes sense. With the right group of folks it could be a blast! But sometimes you've got the one that just doesn't get it; doesn't play well with others.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #103
Richard338
Registered User
2006 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Great minds think alike!

A lot of folks have the Alaska dream, but don't know where to start, or how to go about it (or don't want to do it by themselves). I'm the sort of guy that can plan and then do (it's a good trait to have when you're in the military).

If you have any words of wisdom regarding leading a group I'd love to hear them. I'd like to compare them to mine. Group dynamics can get interesting.
You got that right! I have talked to lots of folks who told me, both before we left and after we got back, Ive always wanted to do that". I planned this trip for over a year and it was pretty simple compared to any of the group RV trips we've taken. They were always to one main destination with no more than 3 days transit. This is covering an obscene number of miles in less than perfect conditions. Setting a pace that makes everyone happy will be the biggest challenge because unless they have done group trips before and know what to expect (and what is expected of them) some people tend to get a little horsey. Unless you want to do this for a living, or going with people you know will be compatable, you may want to set dates and destinations and let everyone make their own arrangements, especially where money is concerned (reservation deposits, that sort of thing). But it would be a great group trip with the right group, miserable with the wrong one.

PS It just occured to me that for a trip like this you might want to have a pre-trip outing of at least a long weekend (4day at least) to work out some kinks, and set expectations and let everyone meet each other. When we added new people to our group it was usually on the short trips first. Just a thought...
Richard338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #104
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Clarksville, Tennessee
Posts: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
I am sure your Army experience helps you a lot. Here are things I have seen.
1) all stops take longer, gas, food, etc. You have 6 Jeeps that need gas and only 2 pumps available. Stopping to eat, many small places are not set up to take 10 people at once, so every stop takes longer than planned.
2) wheels rolling at 0900, might mean 0915, unless you have a good group or you're in a couple of days and everyone see you mean 0900. There will always be someone a little late, and it might be the same person(s) every time.
3) when camping everyone helps, if your stuff is packed and your ready to go, then lets get the someone else packed away. Same with setting up.
4) we did group meals, and had someone who like to cook, did a great job, so we let him cook, and everyone else did the other stuff.
5) BIG ONE, AT LEAST FOR WHAT I HAVE SEEN. YOU CAN NOT MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY, DON'T TRY (see #9) STOPS ALONG THE ROUTE, ie YOU MIGHT PLAN ONE HOUR AT A MUSEUM AND YOU WILL HAVE SOMEONE WHO WANTS MORE TIME AND ANOTHER WHO THINKS YOU SPENT TOO LONG. Plan the best you can and then go. On a S2000 tour, this happen at the VLA in central NM, I planned 45 mins, and it ended up everyone wanted longer 1.5 hours, just got to our hotel room late.
6) my group has been together for many years, so we all get along, but that is not the case with every group.
7) Vehicle shape, my group has a master mechanic along, and I request everyone have their vehicle checked by him before we leave. On a trip like this, the vehicles need to be in top shape before you leave home. If its not ready a week before, then think about not going. Things will happen along the way, but being stopped for a fan belt that should of been replaced 3 months ago should not be one of the reasons. Reading the "Milepost" service can be far away.
8) One great thing about camping and all the camp sites up in NW Canada and Alaska, is that you don't have to make xxx number of miles each day, if something takes longer than expected, you can stop early, if not then cover a few more miles. With my car drives, we had to make to the hotel for that night, a little more pressure. The Colorado trip, we just stopped when we found a good place.
9) relax and enjoy, because that is what this is all about. Sometimes I have a hard time doing that, because I worry about the things that I shouldn't, so relax and enjoy what is out there and the reason you came on the trip in the first place.

Most of my friends are coming from SE Texas, so the plan is a speed run to get to Dawson Creek and then slow down a little and see what we want. When we get to Fairbanks, then we take our time and go where we want and do what we want. I am just starting to map out routes to get some idea of how this might go. Then they get a speed run back, I will be retired so I can take my time. We are still looking into the ferry, as one friend might have 3-6 people with him and maybe 2 Jeeps that he would have to pay for.

I am asking each of them to give me any ideas of what they would like to see or do (2 other people now have the "Milepost) and then I will try to add that into the trip. Mine is the Arctic Circle and to go to Deadhorse or Inuvik. The group will decide in March if getting up early to make Deadhorse in one day or not. Someone has already said something about going to the area south of Anchorage and then someone else might want to fish for a day. The plan is every 6 or 7 day, will be a hotel night and the next morning some laundry time.

if I think of more I will post
Sounds like you're running a year ahead of me. Cool!

Some suggestions:

1. When you're pretty much set to go, start a new thread for your trip. Post a preparatory post like I did with post #1 at the beginning of this one. Then come back here and post a link to your thread so we can bookmark it and follow along.

2. Send the link you've started to your parents, friends, and spouse. My parents, family, and my buddy's family followed along on our travels. I for one will be wanting to follow along in real-time (sorta real-time I guess) as you travel along.

3. You'll be surprised how many places seemingly in the middle of nowhere have wireless access. I had my little netbook with me on our trip (I'm actually TDY right now and typing on my same little netbook), and it worked out great. I used to write in the evening the trip report as we were going along, and saved it as a word document. I could take my time writing; wasn't rushed, and as you noticed during our trip I can get wordy. I would also download pictures and have them resized (from 100% to 30%). Then when we got to a place with wifi (sometimes took a few days), I could pull up JeepForum, go to my thread, copy and paste from my word document (tweak as needed), attach the pictures, and post. Only took a few minutes.

4. Be wordy. Don't just post a sentence and a bunch of pictures. Tell your story - give details. Think in terms of paragraphs. Encourage those going with you to also post entries on your travel thread as you're traveling along.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #105
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Clarksville, Tennessee
Posts: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard338 View Post
You got that right! I have talked to lots of folks who told me, both before we left and after we got back, “I’ve always wanted to do that". I planned this trip for over a year and it was pretty simple compared to any of the group RV trips we've taken. They were always to one main destination with no more than 3 days transit. This is covering an obscene number of miles in less than perfect conditions. Setting a pace that makes everyone happy will be the biggest challenge because unless they have done group trips before and know what to expect (and what is expected of them) some people tend to get a little horsey. Unless you want to do this for a living, or going with people you know will be compatable, you may want to set dates and destinations and let everyone make their own arrangements, especially where money is concerned (reservation deposits, that sort of thing). But it would be a great group trip with the right group, miserable with the wrong one.

PS It just occured to me that for a trip like this you might want to have a pre-trip outing of at least a long weekend (4day at least) to work out some kinks, and set expectations and let everyone meet each other. When we added new people to our group it was usually on the short trips first. Just a thought...
If we do this, I'll just be doing it for fun. Dates will be posted. Folks will have to make their own ferry reservations and cover all their expenses. Other than maybe asking something like $25.00/vehicle for printing up maps and itineraries, there will be no exchange of money. We'll see how it works out. I'll be looking at your trip with your group for pointers.

My trip will be for three weeks from the jump-off point near the WA/Canada border. I have no idea if anyone is interested in going with us, and I don't know where they'll be coming from. And three weeks is a long time to be gone (and that's not including the travel time to get to the jump-of point). So while your short "get to know you" idea sounds good, unfortunately it won't get to happen. I'm hoping that with emails and such we won't have any expectation missunderstandings. I am used to dealing with soldiers and teenagers - I won't leave anything open for (mis)interpretation.

And I'll be putting out a list of vehicle requirements, and definitely a CB is required.

And coops2K I'd like to get a copy of the waiver you use for your group.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.