Alaska/Canada Jeep Adventure - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Alaska Jeep Forum > Alaska/Canada Jeep Adventure

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 07-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #61
Doubblea
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Should have made a stop at kenai to see if there were any salmon heading up the river. Went up there last year when 1.5 million sockeye were coming up and it was by far the highlight of the trip for me.

Unread 08-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #62
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice report. Quite the adventure.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #63
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Nice report. Quite the adventure.
Thanks. Jeeps were built for adventure. We were bummed we had to turn around because of the road washouts, but it just gives us more reasons to go back!
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #64
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just found this thread, really, really good job of writing the updates.

As a kid, I read and re-read the "Walk Across America" books and your posts share a real familiarity with those books.

Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #65
tyf1101
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Cool trip armyRn, thanks for the write up. Living in FL that would be quite the drive for the LJ but just reading it makes me want to get my new lift installed and the winch back on, now just need to find an adventure.
tyf1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #66
cheftrail
2005 TJ Wrangler 

very cool!
Unread 08-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #67
CrawlerBee
2004 TJ Wrangler 

armyRN, Couple things to do,MaCarthy road from Chitina (Edgerton Hwy) in your Milepost. Also the Denali Hwy
from Paxson to Cantwell. If you weren't awear the MVPA just came thur with alarge convoy that celebrated
the 70th. anniversity of the building of the Alcan Hwy. They used restored vehicles so you should be in good shape.
The Kenai Pen. is always pretty this time of year. There are some active 4 Wheelers in Fairbanks area you my find them
they have better wheeling up there more BLM. See you have agreat trip Best time of the year to be here.
CrawlerBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #68
CrawlerBee
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry guys I didn't look at the date you have been here and gone Sorry I missed you
Sounds as if you had a greatime Welcome back any time.
CrawlerBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #69
Richard338
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Thanks. Jeeps were built for adventure. We were bumbed we had to turn around because of the road washouts, but it just gives us more reasons to go back!
I just found your thread, we were there at about the same time! My son and I drove my Grand Cherokee (2011) from Dallas, TX to Prudhoe Bay and back. Took the ferry up to Haines from Bellingham and got caught in the same wash-outs. Had to take the ferry back to Prince Rupert and drove on home from there. We were moving a little faster though, 20 days total (left Dallas 5-27) including the day and a half we lost at the wash-out south of Destruction Bay. Saw some great scenery met some great people. I wish we had the time to do the camping but we seldom stopped before 11pm, and were back on the road by 8am. Drove the Denali and the Dalton while we were there. Such beautiful country, can't wait to go back. Left Dallas 5/27, Spuce Goose in McMinnville, OR, 5/30, Martin Mars on Vancouver Island 5/31, ferry north 6/1-4, Prudhoe Bay 6/6, Destruction Bay wash-out 6/8, Haines ferry 6/9, Prince Rupert 6/12, Dallas home and dry 6/15.
Richard338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #70
bluestarguy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'll have to read this when I get home.
bluestarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #71
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

We are looking forward to finishing our trip. It won't be next year (the Vintage Jeep thing in Butler, PA is our guy trip in 2013), but maybe the following year. It was an expensive trip going to Alaska, so we need to start saving up for it.

We're thinking we might skip the ferry the next time, and start from Vancouver CA and go up the Cassiar highway into Alaska as far as we can before having to come back down, but return to the USA more east. I was lucky to get three weeks leave from the Army for the last trip; don't know if I can do that again.

In talking to folks about our adventure, lots wish they could do such a trip. This sort of trip doesn't just happen on the spur of the moment; you have to plan for it. So if you're reading this and want to do a similar trip, start planning! And go order you a "Milepost" book and start reading!

But part of the fun is in the planning, and we have plenty of time to plan for round two of the Alaska/Canada Jeep Adventure.
Unread 09-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #72
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Great trip and write up, Did a trip like this back in 1987 with the folks in a brand new Mercury station wagon, great time.

Planning one for 2-3 years from now. Questionon camping, might of missed it, but did you just camp along the road or in parks or camp grounds?
NMBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #73
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
Great trip and write up, Did a trip like this back in 1987 with the folks in a brand new Mercury station wagon, great time.

Planning one for 2-3 years from now. Questionon camping, might of missed it, but did you just camp along the road or in parks or camp grounds?
We were prepared to pull off on the side of the road to camp for the night if we had to, but we were always able to find a campground. The prices for state/national/province (Canadian) campgrounds averaged $15.00 a night +/-. They were all well maintained (primitive toilets - no showers), and the Canadian ones even supplied firewood (go Canada!)! We did stay in a city campground outside of Anchorage that was a little more expensive, primitive sites, but had flush toilets, sinks, and showers (with hot water!).

You really need to get the "Milepost" book if you don't already have it. It come out every year - get one and start reading it. It's a thick book, but is the Bible if you're traveling in Western Canada and Alaska. We were also suprised as to how available hot spots were for internet access.

We carried extra fuel, but never needed to tap into those (made us feel good though knowing we had it just in case).

Please let me know if you have any specific questions. I'm not the expert, but we are a "been there/done that" for exploring Alaska and Canada. We're hoping to get back there in a couple of years too (and take some lessons learned with us this next go-round).
Unread 09-23-2012, 11:59 PM   #74
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

wish i had the photo album from when i was up there in 198? (the year Mt Saint Helens went off), but it is at my sister house

Last edited by NMBruce; 09-24-2012 at 12:10 AM..
Unread 09-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #75
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Do you have the name and location of the camp grounds you stayed in? Or at least the good ones

Ordered the "Milepost" last night

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.