Alaska/Canada Jeep Adventure - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Alaska Jeep Forum > Alaska/Canada Jeep Adventure

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 06-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #46
cobra_4
2011 KK Liberty 

Awesome thread!!!! Great Friday read

cobra_4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #47
armyRN
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra_4 View Post
Awesome thread!!!! Great Friday read
I'm glad you enjoyed it. We had a blast, and we'll be talking about it for years to come. Hopefully it will inspire others to go on an extended adventure tour like we did - and bring a buddy who likes doing the same thing you do. Hopefully those that read it will go "well that sounds do-able; maybe it's time for me to go". I tried to lay out the logistics of such a trip so others could repeat it.

Hopefully near the end when I was complaining about campground noise and dogs and folks that park in the middle of the road I didn't come across as a grumpy old man - I'm not. I'm a sometimes grumpy middle-aged man (there's a difference!). But I'll tell you, during the whole trip (to include the unscheduled ferry ride back) we were usually grinning from ear-to-ear having a great time even when it was raining. We had a blast; camping every night, campfires, beautiful scenery, friendly people, etc. We hope to go back in a few years and hit the parts we missed the first time.
armyRN is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #48
unlblkrubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You said you really enjoyed the stove/oven you bought. What brand was this? How much fuel did it use? Looks like it stood up to the trip.

Unread 06-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #49
rubiconrich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The brand is Camp Chef www.campchef.com/ The specs are on the site. The oven, at 350 degrees, uses one propane bottle for seven hours of use. I bought mine at Costco for $169 plus tax
rubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #50
armyRN
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
You said you really enjoyed the stove/oven you bought. What brand was this? How much fuel did it use? Looks like it stood up to the trip.
Camp Chef. For the whole two weeks we were camping I used two cylinders (neither one did I fully empty). And as someone previously mentioned, I also paid $169 at Costco for it.

I also ordered on line a black padded bag to put it in for about $40.00. I was concerned about the knobs sticking out and the glass door that I might break something.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camp-Chef-CO...12430186233788

There's just something about camp cooking that makes food taste better. I tend to get creative when I'm allowed a little time to really cook while camping. And having an oven really allowed me to get creative. Not that making pizza is so special; what makes it special is making it while camping! Same with muffins or buscuits. It's easy enough to bring the ingredients to make these.
camp-stove.jpg   camp-oven-bag.jpg  
Unread 06-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #51
unlblkrubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks, sounds economical.

Unread 06-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #52
armyRN
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It was a great oven/stove combo. You can buy all sorts of packages of muffin mix; cheddar and garlic, blueberry, cornbread, etc. and they all are packaged to make six muffins. The oven holds a six-"holed" (what's the word I'm looking for?) muffin tin (see picture in post #50 above). It also easily handles a small rectangle baking sheet, which I used for making the pizzas on.

If I had to come up with any negatives for it, it would be:

a. It's bulky (if I didn't have the trailer I would not have been able to bring it with us)

b. It's not cheap (compared to just a propane stove)

c. The carrying bag I ordered was just a little bit of a pain to use (but I'm glad I had it, and would buy it again)

But you know... when you're able to make muffins or pizza when camping, it all just seems worth it. There's just something about a good meal when camping.
Unread 06-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #53
semikrazy
1976 CJ5 

I made that trip in '97 with my '76 CJ-5. It was almost a 3 month trip. Nice write up too, thanks.
semikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #54
tanksoldier
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
12G shotgun (and paperwork for bringing it into Canada)
Could you elaborate on this?

I've heard that it is possible, and researched it a bit, but never spoken to anyone who has actually done it.

What forms? Prior approval or approved at the boarder with the $25 fee? Etc, etc?

Cool trip. I've wanted to make that same trip my entire adult life.

Army Jeep Club Bumper # C34
Colorado Jeep Club Member #1970

[QUOTE=Hussler;12728204]
Helen Keller on LSD could drive a submarine in space better than this kid could steer his own thread[/QUOTE]
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #55
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Tanksoldier, here is the link to the CBSA page. They would be the best ones to call and talk to. I assume that you are military, there is a (403)-86x-xxxx number floating around on some US sites that claims to connect you the border people. Please don't call it, it is my personal cell lol. I'm trying to get it taken off, but its hard.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #56
tanksoldier
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Please don't call it, it is my personal cell lol.
Maybe I'll just say Hi then...

Thanks for the link.

[QUOTE=Hussler;12728204]
Helen Keller on LSD could drive a submarine in space better than this kid could steer his own thread[/QUOTE]
Unread 07-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #57
armyRN
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
Could you elaborate on this?

I've heard that it is possible, and researched it a bit, but never spoken to anyone who has actually done it.

What forms? Prior approval or approved at the boarder with the $25 fee? Etc, etc?

Cool trip. I've wanted to make that same trip my entire adult life.
Try here:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.html#P010

What you want is form CAFC 909. It'll ask for a bunch of personal information, plus eventually it'll ask for a description of the weapon, serial number, etc. You need to fill out THREE forms, DO NOT SIGN THEM until they tell you to at the border, and pay your $25.00 CANADIAN money (have exact change). I had my three forms filled out, plus plenty of blanks in case there was a problem. They were totally cool with it, but don't play cutsie at the border. Tell them up front you have a weapon; they'll have you pull over and pull it out so they can verify it. Make sure it's unloaded (and we had a locked cable through it too just for good measure). While we were waiting to enter Canada there was a delay because they were arresting someone in the vehicle in front of us (handcuffs and all) I think because of drugs.

Check the website I gave you and the one from one of the threads above. Get smart on it all; what's an ok weapon (pretty much any hunting rifle or shotgun with a barrel 18.5" or longer), etc. No handguns or restricted/illegal weapons.

While it felt nice to have it by our cots at night, we never needed it. We also carried bear spray (don't bring mace into Canada either).

Tanksoldier - I spent a few years at Ft Carson a long time ago - sorry about the fires you're having out there.
Unread 07-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #58
tanksoldier
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Tanksoldier - I spent a few years at Ft Carson a long time ago - sorry about the fires you're having out there.
Thanks for the information, and the well-wishes. I'm retired now, but Carson was my last duty station. We decided to stay in Colorado, but we live north of Denver. Our old house in Colorado Springs was in the evac zone, but seems to have survived.

I wonder if I can convince the wife we need to make this trip...

[QUOTE=Hussler;12728204]
Unread 07-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #59
jdeere_man
1991 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/y...north-1391226/

hopefully i'll make it to alaska by the end of the week!
jdeere_man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #60
armyRN
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeere_man View Post
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/y...north-1391226/

hopefully i'll make it to alaska by the end of the week!
Have fun, and keep us posted!

I used to update my posts by starting them as a word document in the evening at my leisure at the campsite (so I could be wordy), and when we came to a place with free wifi, it was just a matter of copy-and-paste from the word document onto the forum (with any editing/updating I felt was needed). That way I could take my time writing what I wanted to post, and when we got to a place with wifi I wasn't wasting time trying to write and post. I would also try and have my camera's pictures downloaded onto the netbook and already edited (shrunk from 100% to 30%) too so those were ready to be uploaded when I had internet access. When we were in Alaska (the land of the midnight sun) it was never too late in the evening to do this.

And when I found a place with free wi-fi I also tried to find an outlet to charge up my netbook's battery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.