Alaska/Canada Jeep Adventure - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Alaska Jeep Forum > Alaska/Canada Jeep Adventure

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 01-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #226
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Definitely!

I carry the Safety Seal kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Seal-St.../dp/B001DIECCK

http://www.safetyseal.com/safetysealoriginal.php

I carried this kit with us when we went to Alaska and Canada. Never have had to use it, but it's one of those things that can be a lifesaver when you need it. Mine seems like just a simple and basic kit compared to the ones you linked us to Coops. Whichever kit you-all out there choose, you should definitely carry one when on an adventure. Thanks Coops for the reminder!

Edit: Looks like ARB also makes a tire repair kit: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P91FCO/...=dradisplay-20

And of course (now I'm getting on a soapbox), it should go without saying that a tire repair kit IS NOT a substitute for a full size matching inflated spare tire.
Got the Extreme tire kit, and I am very happy. The carrying bag is very nice and looks like it would last a long time. I think the kit has everything you would need.

Unread 01-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #227
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

This is more of a question for those who have been to Alaska.

As of today my original tires, BFG MT are in good shape with 21k miles on them.

In June I will leave on a 10k mile trip to Alaska and back, guessing tires will have 30k miles on them, so still good tread (?). In March/April I will need 2/3 tires to use on a trailer that will follow my Jeep to Alaska. Originally, I had thought about replacing the Jeep tires in June just before leaving and using 3 of the old tires as trailer tires. But, I will need trailer tires earlier and a friend got me thinking that my current tires could make the trip to Alaska and back and still have some tread left.

Should add, the trailer is an off road trailer, 700-1300lbs, so trailer spec tires are not needed. Wheels are AEV 8.5 x 17 that I got really cheap.

So the question is,
A) stick to original plan and get new tires for the Jeep, use current tires for the trailer?
B) use original tires for trip & find some good used tires and put them on the trailer?
Unread 03-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #228
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd go with option "A". You'll have plenty of spares. When out in the middle of nowhere you want good tires.

I'm looking forward to seeing this trailer of yours. Got any teaser pictures yet?
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #229
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

We're still planning on taking the truck to Alaska and Canada later this summer (2014). However, that hasn't stopped us from modifying the trailer we took on the first trip; you never know when we'll be taking it on another adventure. I lengthened the tongue 10" using 2" angle iron, put a cooler tray up front (actually put the tray on a few months ago but had it off when lengthening the frame and then put it back on), a 2" receiver in the rear, swapped out the slipper spring suspension for a longer double-eyed leaf spring with a shackle at one end, and had a diamond plate aluminum box made and bolted it to the frame along with wider aluminum diamond plate fenders I painted black.

The trailer did awesome on our original trip; these mods will only make it better. But to reiterate what I've been saying all along - if you're taking a Wrangler to Alaska you really need to take a trailer to make your trip more pleasant. It is those few extras (or a lot of extras) that you take that make it enjoyable.
trailer-essentially-done-010.jpg   trailer-essentially-done-018.jpg   trailer-essentially-done-026.jpg   trailer-essentially-done-027.jpg   trailer-extension-005.jpg  

trailer-extension-002.jpg   trailer-extension-003.jpg  
Unread 05-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #230
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

So this weekend I installed a posi-lock unit on my truck's two-piece front axle (think Jeep YJ axle) and changed out the vacuum switch on the transfer case to an electrical switch. So now when you shift into 4WD the 4WD light comes on. The collar is permanently slid over so the axle is always connected (like the one-piece long side axle on a Jeep TJ). I also installed a Chevy Tahoe roof rack on the truck's topper this weekend (looks good), so that was the last thing I needed to do to the truck to get it ready for Alaska this summer. Woo Hoo!

Then this morning I got an email saying the Army wants to move me to Texas this summer (I'm in TN right now). They're saying El Paso (Ft Bliss), but I'm hoping to change that to Ft Hood (an hour north of Austin, TX). Either way, I don't think I'll be going to Alaska this summer. Oh well; the truck's ready at least for when I do get to go.

The truck has Skyjacker 2" coils up front, and a 2" lift long leaf add-a-leaf in the rear; more than enough lift for 285/75/16" tires (33x11.5"). And with just 2" lift it doesn't cause issues with the front track-bar shifting the axle over.
roof-rack-truck.2.jpg  
pos-lock-1100_w_ml.jpg

4wd-switch.jpg

Unread 05-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #231
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So this weekend I installed a posi-lock unit on my truck's two-piece front axle (think Jeep YJ axle) and changed out the vacuum switch on the transfer case to an electrical switch. So now when you shift into 4WD the 4WD light comes on. The collar is permanently slid over so the axle is always connected (like the one-piece long side axle on a Jeep TJ). I also installed a Chevy Tahoe roof rack on the truck's topper this weekend (looks good), so that was the last thing I needed to do to the truck to get it ready for Alaska this summer. Woo Hoo!

Then this morning I got an email saying the Army wants to move me to Texas this summer (I'm in TN right now). They're saying El Paso (Ft Bliss), but I'm hoping to change that to Ft Hood (an hour north of Austin, TX). Either way, I don't think I'll be going to Alaska this summer. Oh well; the truck's ready at least for when I do get to go.
that sucks

If you go to Ft Bliss, maybe we can get together in SW Colorado and do some trails & camp.
Unread 05-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #232
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBruce View Post
that sucks

If you go to Ft Bliss, maybe we can get together in SW Colorado and do some trails & camp.
Looks like it'll be Fort Hood reporting the end of August. I'd still like to do some Colorado exploring, especially now that I have the trailer ready for some overlanding type adventures. Trails and camping - sounds like a good time. I'm always reading in one of my 4WD magazines of camping/Jeeping adventures they're doing out in your part of the country. They may not call it "Overlanding", but that's what it is.

I need to look at a map and find out what's close by for Jeeping around Fort Hood. Hopefully we'll make an Alaska run in 2015. Sometimes the Army messes up your vacation plans. And it's not the first time I've had this happen to me. I had to postpone going to Moab for a year once due to a short notice Iraq deployment. I was already booked/locked-and-loaded for the Easter Jeep Safari that year and I had to cancel everything at the last minute. But I went the following year and had a blast. It's all part of military life I guess - you roll with it.
Unread 05-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #233
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Looks like it'll be Fort Hood reporting the end of August. I'd still like to do some Colorado exploring, especially now that I have the trailer ready for some overlanding type adventures. Trails and camping - sounds like a good time. I'm always reading in one of my 4WD magazines of camping/Jeeping adventures they're doing out in your part of the country. They may not call it "Overlanding", but that's what it is.

I need to look at a map and find out what's close by for Jeeping around Fort Hood. Hopefully we'll make an Alaska run in 2015. Sometimes the Army messes up your vacation plans. And it's not the first time I've had this happen to me. I had to postpone going to Moab for a year once due to a short notice Iraq deployment. I was already booked/locked-and-loaded for the Easter Jeep Safari that year and I had to cancel everything at the last minute. But I went the following year and had a blast. It's all part of military life I guess - you roll with it.
glad it is working out. Memorial Weekend I am doing a test run with the trailer to meet some friends around Marble Falls, there is an off road adventure park out there.
Unread 05-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #234
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

So other than having to purchase some bungee cords, I think I've run out of things that need to be done to the trailer. My final project was I made and installed some little brackets on the cooler tray to keep the cooler from sliding around (the eye-bolts are for bungee cords). I may put some sort of rack on the roof of the trailer down the road.

The eyebolts on the rear brackets (next to the gas can) are actually bolted through not only the padding and expanded metal that make up the floor of the cooler tray, but also through the 2" angle iron that are used to extend the trailer's tongue. The gray padding is a piece of anti-fatigue flooring matting I picked up at Harbor Freight and have used on multiple projects (such as lining the bottom of the ammo can on the trailer, the bottom of the truck toolbox in the back of my pick-up truck, llining the cooler tray, etc.). It comes in a roll. It's cheap, cuts easily, and works well. It could also be used as a sleeping bag mat/cushion when camping.

http://www.harborfreight.com/anti-fa...mat-61241.html

I'm planning on going to the Bantam Jeep Heritage Festival in Butler, PA in June (13 - 15) and will be taking the Jeep TJ and trailer. If you own a Jeep you should try and attend at least once - this will be my first time. I'll be at the main campground in the "High Meadows" area. And hopefully I'll be able to take the trailer on some adventures once I get to Texas. With a little luck maybe I'll make the Alaska/Canada adventure trip next year (unless I get another opportunity to deploy - I guess we're still sending folks to Afghanistan).

http://www.bantamjeepfestival.com/
trailer-tray3.jpg   trailer-tray2.jpg   trailer-tray5.jpg  
bantam-logo_png_pagespeed_ic_nhhv1pfiax.png

Unread 05-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #235
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

So today I got the bungee cords to secure the cooler (there are also two bungee cords going from front-to-back that you can't see in the picture in addition to the ones on the handles), and then went and got it weighed. After all the modifications (aluminum tub, frame extension, etc.) it weighed in at 560lbs as you see it.

But it's ready for adventure, and is an upgrade over when we took it to Alaska the first time (and it did great then; with these upgrades I expect it would do even better the next time).

Next trip with Jeep and trailer: the Bantam Jeep Heritage Festival in Butler, PA. It'll be about 625 miles each way. And if it tracks like it did today when I was running around with it there should be no problem towing it.
trailer-jeep-front-house.jpg  
Unread 05-27-2014, 12:25 AM   #236
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Spent a WET weekend down in your new assignment area, just a little east of Marble Falls, TX the trailer and the camping equipment did great.
Unread 05-27-2014, 07:00 AM   #237
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBruce View Post
Spent a WET weekend down in your new assignment area, just a little east of Marble Falls, TX the trailer and the camping equipment did great.
I'm glad it's working out for you; it's an awesome looking set-up you've got.

Come the middle of August my little convoy will be heading down there to TX. I'm hoping there's some good Jeeping around there. I joined the Military Jeepers (.com) Ft Hood chapter to get connected with the new area.
dity-picture.jpg  
Unread 06-07-2014, 05:18 AM   #238
clayduster71
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have read and re-read your entire thread here on your jeep trip. I am considering a trip up to Alaska later on this summer. I'm in East TN. I have a couple questions for you.

I have 3 different vehicles that I could take:

- 2005 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited with a Ruger trailer http://www.rugertrailers.com/

- 2008 Dodge 4500 w/ Cummins Quad-Cab with a 9' aluminum bed on the back....It also has a 50 gal regular fuel tank and a 95 gallon auxiliary fuel tank I can mount in the bed front.

- 2004 GMC Yukon Denali XL

Right now, my plan is to trailer my Jeep/ Ruger trailer up to Dawson Creek behind the Dodge. Store the dodge and big trailer there at a mini-storage - then take off on the Jeep. My reasoning behind trailering up is that the Dodge is a LOT more comfortable to drive and gets almost as good of mileage as the Jeep does. Plus, I'm toting 140 gallons of fuel. Which means I can pick and choose where I buy fuel. Also, if I were to have a major breakdown, I could possibly go pick up the jeep and take it home to TN.

Now I'm thinking about just driving the Dodge the whole way and leaving the jeep at home. The dodge is a beast and I can haul half the house on the bed of it if I want to. My only issue is if you aren't hauling a heavy load it rides like a wagon and can beat your teeth out on a rough road. Any thoughts from you on this?

I could also take the GMC Yukon Denali XL as well. It's the size of a Chevy Suburban. It use to have an air-ride suspension on it, but I took all that crap off and replaced it with a strutmaster regular spring/shock one. I could put a basket on the rear hitch and stuff on the roof too.

Another question. In all your photos I never noticed your top off at all. I have both a hardtop and a soft top for my LJ. Would I be better off putting the hard top back on for this trip if I take the Jeep?

Here is a link to my Dodge when it was new. The guy that makes the bed is less than an hour from me. Mine is the burgundy one. http://www.bullheadproducts.com/your-truck/rv5/#
clayduster71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #239
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayduster71 View Post
I have read and re-read your entire thread here on your jeep trip. I am considering a trip up to Alaska later on this summer. I'm in East TN. I have a couple questions for you.

I have 3 different vehicles that I could take:

- 2005 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited with a Ruger trailer http://www.rugertrailers.com/

- 2008 Dodge 4500 w/ Cummins Quad-Cab with a 9' aluminum bed on the back....It also has a 50 gal regular fuel tank and a 95 gallon auxiliary fuel tank I can mount in the bed front.

- 2004 GMC Yukon Denali XL

Right now, my plan is to trailer my Jeep/ Ruger trailer up to Dawson Creek behind the Dodge. Store the dodge and big trailer there at a mini-storage - then take off on the Jeep. My reasoning behind trailering up is that the Dodge is a LOT more comfortable to drive and gets almost as good of mileage as the Jeep does. Plus, I'm toting 140 gallons of fuel. Which means I can pick and choose where I buy fuel. Also, if I were to have a major breakdown, I could possibly go pick up the jeep and take it home to TN.

Now I'm thinking about just driving the Dodge the whole way and leaving the jeep at home. The dodge is a beast and I can haul half the house on the bed of it if I want to. My only issue is if you aren't hauling a heavy load it rides like a wagon and can beat your teeth out on a rough road. Any thoughts from you on this?

I could also take the GMC Yukon Denali XL as well. It's the size of a Chevy Suburban. It use to have an air-ride suspension on it, but I took all that crap off and replaced it with a strutmaster regular spring/shock one. I could put a basket on the rear hitch and stuff on the roof too.

Another question. In all your photos I never noticed your top off at all. I have both a hardtop and a soft top for my LJ. Would I be better off putting the hard top back on for this trip if I take the Jeep?

Here is a link to my Dodge when it was new. The guy that makes the bed is less than an hour from me. Mine is the burgundy one. http://www.bullheadproducts.com/your-truck/rv5/#

It's fun to have choices. Nice vehicles all!

I don't know how many folks are going with you; just you; you and a bud; you and a wife and kids, etc. That factors in. I also don't know how far off the beaten path you plan on going. Planning on making a run to the Arctic Ocean?

Too much logistics towing the Jeep and trailer behind the Dodge. A lot of those roads aren't the greatest up in Alaska/Canada (but that's part of the fun in a way...) for towing big trailers. And if the Dodge breaks down you can't tow it home with the Jeep. Stick with one vehicle.

Since you asked (and having been there/done that), I would take the Denali (assuming it is 4WD) with the Ruger trailer (if you can't pack it all in the Denali). I would skip the basket on the rear and stashing stuff on the roof - either fit it all inside or take the trailer. You can pack a ton of fuel in the trailer, camping gear, etc. and leave it at a campground while you take the Denali to explore. Plus the Denali should hold a ton of stuff (take the rear seat out, and maybe all the rear seats depending on how many are going with you). The Denali should be a nice comfortable ride, and not too big/not too small (same size as a full-size crewcab truck). My TJ wasn't the most comfortable ride (that's one reason why we were planning on taking the Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 truck this next time). I'm not complaining; it's a TJ with a soft top and a lift/bigger tires. We tested the concept of TJ and homemade trailer and it worked just fine.

About the Jeep top; we just never thought "Gee, we should take the top off" while we were up there. We had the back seat out with luggage and stuff in the rear stacked fairly high; we got rain (lots); it was chilly at times, there was no way to even pretend to lock it if we did remove the top, etc. We never even considered taking the upper door halves off. A hard top would have been nice. In hind sight it might have been nice to take the upper door halves off at times, but again we never thought of it.

Good luck on your trip, and please let me/us know what vehicle route you end up taking and give us (if nothing else) a trip report on your return.

Let me know if I can answer anything else for you.
Unread 06-17-2014, 07:18 AM   #240
clayduster71
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Unless I can get another jeep to go with me, I don't think I'll be making the trip this year.
clayduster71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.