Alaska/Canada Jeep Adventure - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Alaska Jeep Forum > Alaska/Canada Jeep Adventure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #196
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
When I was getting ready to go, I read what you read and came to the conclusion we would not be bringing handguns with us; hence the long guns (shotgun). You're just going to have to face the fact you won't be able to bring a handgun through Canada. But now you've got a good excuse to buy a new shotgun or rifle!
Agree

Unread 10-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #197
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Paul, did you run into any problems with carrying extra fuel on you trip, like on ferries?
Unread 10-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #198
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
Paul, did you run into any problems with carrying extra fuel on you trip, like on ferries?
No problems. They have a room on the ferry they want you to put your fuel cans in, so you might want to somehow label them so nobody grabs yours instead. Writing on them with a sharpie should do the trick.

I was glad to be carrying the extra seven gallons of fuel (1.5 plus 1.5 plus 4 gallons) on the trailer but we never needed to tap into them. It did give us peace-of-mind thought knowing we had extra in case we needed it.

How's your custom framed trailer coming along?

Sent from a Starbucks (free Wi-Fi) on the same little netbook I brought to Alaska (the tie-in for this thread), at a military base somewhere in Kuwait while waiting to catch a flight back to the states tomorrow.

So coops2K I don't know how computer savvy you are (I'm certainly not), but be sure and start a thread when you do your Alaska trip (post a link here on this thread when you start to direct us to it), and bring some sort of laptop or netbook and digital camera and do like I did with this thread so we can follow along (with pictures!). Lots of places even in the middle of nowhere in Alaska have free Wi-Fi.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #199
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Man

CONGRATS ON COMING HOME

trailer still not started, but dealing with some friends on getting it made

I was looking at getting the AEV bumper and fuel can, so I need to find out about removing it.

For what i can read, the fuel cans must be stored in the ships holding room and they can not be over 27L (about 6gals) in Canada http://www.bcferries.com/travel_plan...ous_cargo.html
or 5 gals on US ferry ships http://www.alaskaferry.com/GeneralInfo.shtml#hazmat
Unread 10-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #200
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You won't have any trouble bring fuel cans on the ferry - they're used to it. We had no issues.

So are you thinking of taking the ferry from Bellingham up to Alaska? Obviously we went to Haines on our trip. I can't say enough of the ferry experience (you've read this thread and seen the pictures). If you can get a room it's worth the cost. But sleeping on the back of the ferry under the heat lamps is also totally quite the experience (and a million dollar view). They just don't have electricity there so if you need to run a CPAP machine (like my buddy did) you'll be SOL (that's one reason we got a room on the way up).

Keep us up-to-date on the trailer build, and don't wait till the last minute. You'll be tweaking it getting it Alaska ready.

Decided on a box?
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #201
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Looking at taking the ferry back from Haines to Bellingham and visit some friends in Amboy, WA

If cost is acceptable, then a metal box, if not then a wood box. I will make a area in front of the box for the Yeti cooler so that I don't have to lift it in and maybe a small area for a 5 gal water tank.
Unread 10-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #202
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Got this reply from the Alaska ferry system

The official Alaska Marine Highway policy on fuel is as follows.

Small portable containers of fuel (6 gallons or less, and limited to 2 containers) are permitted on board AMHS vessels. Diesel tanks designed to fit in the back of a pick-up, or other small trucks, are allowed up to 119 gallons. Diesel fuel, in 55 gallon drums (not to exceed 119 gallons) are permitted per transport vehicle when in un-damaged and secure containers. They must be turned over to vessel personnel for proper storage while en route.

Looking at your link, you should be fine as long as the container is in good condition and the amount of total fuel carried does not exceed 119 gallons.
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #203
Richard338
2006 XK Commander 

As Army RN said, no problem with fuel cans on the ferry. If you're going up on the ferry and you start the trip with new containers you may not even have to put them in the flammables locker. We just left ours on the rack, but once they've had fuel in them they have to be stowed
dsc_3459-640x424-.jpg

dsc_3753-640x424-.jpg

Richard338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #204
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Now that I'm back from Afghanistan I can start working on getting the truck ready for Alaska. I mounted up the wheels and tires I ordered while deployed. I went from 265/75/16 to 285/75/16 and also got some new rims. These new spare tire just BARELY fit under the truck bed where the spare tire sits. I already had a 2" lift on the truck (2" taller coils up front and a long leaf add-a-leaf in the rear). The shop has the parts in; next month I'll have them change out the 3.55 gears for 4.10, and put a true-trac up front to match the one in the rear. I've also got a factory second battery tray (used in diesel trucks) to mount under the hood so we can run dual batteries, and I pulled roof-rack off a Dodge Minivan to put on the truck topper (it'll look good). I've also got a posi-lock sitting in my garage waiting to install after the gears are installed so the long side two-piece axles are always locked together. That's a start anyways.

We took the Jeep and trailer last time, but living in WA made it easy. Now that I'm in TN it's going to take quite a few days just to get to the ferry terminal (Bellingham, WA), and my buddy's going to have to drive the truck loaded with gear, tools, guns (etc.) from TN to WA (and afterwards back to TN). So this time we're taking the truck - there are pro's and con's taking the Truck vs. the Jeep. Just think of the Dodge truck as the Jeep truck Jeep would have made if they still made a full-sized Jeep truck. The front end is set up like a TJ (four link); they put the same Dodge 5.2 V8 engine in Jeeps, and Chrysler makes both Dodge and Jeeps.
new-truck-tires-trailer-mods-007.jpg   new-truck-tires-trailer-mods-008.jpg  
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #205
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

One of the lessons we learned on our trip to Alaska was there's only so much room in the trailer. Not that we left anything behind for lack of space, but we didn't have quick access to the cooler, It had stuff packed on top of it, and since we had a vinyl cover on the trailer box, it was a little bit of a chore to take it off and move stuff to get to the cooler. The solution would be to mount the cooler on the outside of the trailer. It would also free up even more space inside the trailer box. The first thing I had to do was to move the spare to the back of the trailer, so I just swapped out the front and rear panels. I've also mounted some slightly longer fenders on the trailer.

So I'm making a tray to put up front on the trailer's tongue. I'm taking a receiver hitch cargo carrier tray and narrowing it, and with a couple pieces of 2" angle iron for reinforcement, making one that'll fit my trailer. The ammo can will go back on the tongue just in front of the new tray; it'll be mounted to both the tray's frame and the tongue itself. I'll probably have to lengthen the trailer's tongue so the trailer can swing 180 degrees left and right without the tray hitting the back or side of the Jeep. And I'm thinking I'll still have room to keep the 4 gallon fuel can mounted up front along with a cooler on the tray. Here's a few pictures of my work in progress:
new-truck-tires-trailer-mods-004.jpg   new-truck-tires-trailer-mods-001.jpg   trailer-tray-updates-006.jpg   trailer-tray-updates-010.jpg   trailer-tray-updates-011.jpg  

Unread 11-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #206
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok; mission accomplished... almost. I thought I was going to have to buy a new cooler to fit on the tray (especially with the gas can still up front) but my 55 quart Coleman still fits. However, two things:

1. The trailer won't go 90 degrees to the Jeep without something hitting.

2. The tongue stand won't go all the way back; it hits the tray support before the holes line up. I could possibly live with the first one, but not the second one.

So my next project will be to take some 2.5" angle iron (about 3/16" thick) and lengthen the tongue about a foot (no more than). I'll also be putting a 2" receiver tube on the back to not only support the spare tire (it'll rest on it) but also if I want to put a bike rack on the rear I can. I've got a 24" receiver tube ordered; it'll stick out about 8" from the back.

So next time we're on an adventure and stop by the side of the road somewhere to eat an MRE, we won't have to go digging to get to the cooler; it'll be right there for us. And with the cooler outside the trailer tub we can pack even more stuff inside the trailer.
tray.1.jpg   tray.2.jpg   tray.3.jpg   tray.4.jpg   tray.5.jpg  

Unread 11-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #207
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
http://www.milepost.com/resources/pa...eage_map_3.pdf
http://www.milepost.com/resources/pa...eage_map_2.pdf
http://www.milepost.com/resources/pa...eage_map_1.pdf

Our plan is to start and end from Bellingham, WA. We plan on being "outside the wire" for three weeks (includes the three days on the ferry) Bellingham to Bellingham. The ferry leaves Bellingham, WA for Haines, AK once every two weeks on a Friday. This is a pretty fast paced tour, but even then, please understand we can't possibly see everything in three weeks; some things we're just going to have to totally bypass/skip (an excuse for another trip!). I can't please everyone. We're skipping the whole Denali and Fairbanks area, and not attempting the Dalton Highway (taking the Dempster Highway later in the trip). So here's the tentative route (you can follow along on the above maps - you might want to print them off). We'll be crossing the Alaska/Canada border a couple of times during this trip. You will need a passport, and the paperwork for any rifles/shotguns you're bringing (no handguns - Canada law; not mine). Figure we'll be camping every night at primitive campgrounds (rarely running water, pit toilets, etc.). I'll be putting out specifics as we get closer to any who are interested in joining us.

Ferry to Haines, AK
Haines Highway
Tok
Tok Cutoff
Glenn Highway
Anchorage (spend two nights)
Seward Highway
Sterling Highway
Seward (small spur down and back)
Sterling Highway
Homer
(start backtracking north)
Parks Highway
Denali Highway
Delta Junction
Alaska Highway
Taylor Highway
Chicken
Dawson
Dempster Highway (all the way up to Inuvik and back down - about 900 miles round trip; about three days right there)
Klondike Loop
Carmachs
Campbell Highway
Watson Lake
Dease Lake
Cassiar Highway
Yellowhead Highway
Prince George
West Access Route
Vancouver, Canada
Bellingham, WA

Depending on how we're doing time-wise as the trip progresses will determine what little spur trips we can take (or have to skip), or if we can spend a day in a town vs. having to just blow through and keep going. My goal will be to keep us "on track" time and mileage-wise (and still have fun). Figure most days we'll be packing up and moving on (wheels turning 0900). I will be of the mindset "We've got places to go and things to see and do, so let's go". If you're one of those "time challenged" type of folks, or have to spend a couple hours (or days) exploring everytime we stop for gas you might find yourself left behind.

If you read this thread from the beginning, the last time we went the roads past Watson Lake were washed out (actually washed out before Watson Lake too) so we had to backtrack to Haines, AK and catch the ferry back ($$$). I had to extend my military leave because of it. I'm pointing this out because there are no guarantees roads will be open all the time. This is an "at your own risk" type of trip. There's always the possiblity of roads being washed out or "something" happening that kills our itinerary or timeline. Keep in the back of your mind we will be in wilderness areas a lot of the time, sometimes hundreds of miles from services. Just saying... (it's part of the adventure!) That's why it is important to always have food/gear/gas on hand. That's why having a little trailer comes in handy. Grocery stores might be a few days apart.
Have you done any more planning?
Also, I think the MilePost says the Dempster Highway ferris opens sometime around mid May

Most of my friends are just going to be flying into Anchorage for a week or 2, so I am looking to see if a can adjust dates and maybe do part of this with you.
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #208
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
Have you done any more planning?
Also, I think the MilePost says the Dempster Highway ferris opens sometime around mid May

Most of my friends are just going to be flying into Anchorage for a week or 2, so I am looking to see if a can adjust dates and maybe do part of this with you.
Sorry to hear your friends don't have your spirit of adventure! The travel getting to Anchorage is part of the fun. How's your trailer coming along?

Most of the planning so far has involved getting the truck ready (it should be ready this week actually as far as the gears and front true-trac are concerned). I've bought a few new camping things (like the propane shower), and have a few more small truck projects to do; mainly involving securing gear and extra fuel jugs (I'll be carrying a total of 10 gallons in the rear truck tool box).

The itinerary is still the same.

My son will be graduating the Army Infantry Officer Basic course probably sometime in May (can't miss that), so once I have his graduation date I can plan our ferry departure date. And since the ferry only leaves Bellingham once every two weeks (if I remember correctly) that will also determine our departure date.

This popped up in my email today, I guess I should start looking at dates:

http://us-mg205.mail.yahoo.com/neo/l...=drjkk23ti4e9h
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #209
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Sorry to hear your friends don't have your spirit of adventure! The travel getting to Anchorage is part of the fun. How's your trailer coming along?

Most of the planning so far has involved getting the truck ready (it should be ready this week actually as far as the gears and front true-trac are concerned). I've bought a few new camping things (like the propane shower), and have a few more small truck projects to do; mainly involving securing gear and extra fuel jugs (I'll be carrying a total of 10 gallons in the rear truck tool box).

The itinerary is still the same.

My son will be graduating the Army Infantry Officer Basic course probably sometime in May (can't miss that), so once I have his graduation date I can plan our ferry departure date. And since the ferry only leaves Bellingham once every two weeks (if I remember correctly) that will also determine our departure date.

This popped up in my email today, I guess I should start looking at dates:

http://us-mg205.mail.yahoo.com/neo/l...=drjkk23ti4e9h
Ok. Not lack of adventure, lack of time off of work. I still plan to go, one way or another

Congrats to you son

I keep watch to see what you plan and go from there

Trailer not yet started, maybe around Thanksgiving
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #210
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I checked on the ferry dates and times leaving Bellingham, WA for Haines, Alaska. The ferry leaves every Friday (not every other Friday) during the sailing season. The cost for two people and the truck is about $1900 (I'll say it: "Ouch"). That doesn't include getting a cabin.

Oh; and the 4WD shop called - my truck is done. I'll pick it up tomorrow. I'm curious to see how the gear change from 3.55 to 4.10 will feel; I do know it was feeling sluggish with the new 33" tires and the factory 3.55 gears.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.