Alaska/Canada Jeep Adventure - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Alaska Jeep Forum > Alaska/Canada Jeep Adventure

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #181
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

no, i think I will join you for part of it

Unread 05-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #182
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
no, i think I will join you for part of it
Sounds good.

It can be daunting to plan a trip like this to Alaska and Canada; especially if you've never been there. I'm trying to put out a template to show how it can be done. I need to have a basic plan to start with; it can always be modified as time/conditions dictate. But I need to have a starting point and ending point and some sort of general outline in between. Works for me anyway. The Milepost book is a great place to start.

Right now I'm having fun planning for the trip, planning the vehicle modifications for the trip, etc. And looking forward to the actual adventure! Especially as I'm sitting here in Afghanistan.

I'm looking forward to when I retire (2017) so I'm not so limited with how long I can be gone from home, or how frequently I can go.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #183
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not planning on heading out to Alaska until May next year (2014), but that doesn't mean I'm not getting things ready and collecting parts and gear; that's part of the fun. I'll be taking my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SWB 4x4 (with a fiberglass cap) this next time instead of the Jeep and trailer. Look what the delivery man dropped off at the house the other day. Can't wait to get home and put them on! They're "only" 285/75/16" tires (exact same tire and size as on my Jeep TJ in my avatar picture). They'll fit the wheel wells better than the picture shows; currently the truck is riding on slightly smaller (and well worn) 265/75/16" Wal-Mart tires. It's got a 2" lift already installed. The truck will also be getting 4.10 gears to replace the current 3.55 gears before the trip. And a bunch of other stuff (dual battery set-up is also in the works). It'll be a little overlanding truck when we're done.
truck-tires.jpg   truck-tire-truck1.jpg   truck-snow-2.jpg   tire_bg_fcii.jpg  
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #184
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

I like the Dick Cepek FCII tires, you should be ready

1 friend of mine still wants to do my trip, so time will tell what happens with me. Sometime next April/May, I will decide, or others will decided for me, if I do my trip or go with Paul.
Right now my plan is to start the first weekend in June, right after school is out, ending about 5-6 weeks later.
Starting point is Banff
Alaska highway
Whitehorse
Dawson City
?? Up to Inuvik or on to Chicken (group decision)
Fairbanks
Arctic Circle
Denali
Southeast of Anchorage area
Seward
Skagway
Working our way back through Canada
Unread 06-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #185
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I like the Dick Cepek FCII tires, you should be ready

1 friend of mine still wants to do my trip, so time will tell what happens with me. Sometime next April/May, I will decide, or others will decided for me, if I do my trip or go with Paul.
Right now my plan is to start the first weekend in June, right after school is out, ending about 5-6 weeks later.
Starting point is Banff
Alaska highway
Whitehorse
Dawson City
?? Up to Inuvik or on to Chicken (group decision)
Fairbanks
Arctic Circle
Denali
Southeast of Anchorage area
Seward
Skagway
Working our way back through Canada
Five to six weeks? I'm jealous! Looks like you're off to a great start framing out your trip. Where is Banff? If you go to Chicken, a trip from there to Eagle is a one-day round trip - we enjoyed it.

Please be sure and start a new Alaska/Canada trip thread like this one (and post a link to it from here) so we can follow along. I'll be starting a new thread when I go next year to keep it fresh.
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #186
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Banff National Park by Calgary
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:12 AM   #187
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I talked a few pages back about a propane shower. Well this weekend the Sportsmans Guide is having one of their free shipping weekends, and since I'm a member I went ahead and ordered one:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=285468

I'm slowly gathering up what I need (want?) for our next Alaska/Canada adventure. It only took one time trying to bathe out of a bucket of cold water to decide there's got to be a better way - and I think this will be it.
zodi-shower.jpg  
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #188
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If I may make a suggestion; the hose will pinch right where the hose comes out of the jug. Either upgrade the hose to something stiffer, or devise a method to prevent it from flopping over on itself. (a small spring slid over the end of the hose perhaps?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #189
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
If I may make a suggestion; the hose will pinch right where the hose comes out of the jug. Either upgrade the hose to something stiffer, or devise a method to prevent it from flopping over on itself. (a small spring slid over the end of the hose perhaps?)
Thanks for the hint! I'll come up with something (maybe a spring as you suggested).

It sounds like you've used this shower thing before. How did it work for you? Is it a strong stream of water coming out? Give me your impressions of the shower thing.

Anybody else used one of these exact shower things? I'd love to hear some input on what you think of them.
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #190
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Something else for my next Alaska/Canada adventure (and speaking of bears): A Marlin 1895 GBL 45-70 lever action rifle.
I checked with the CMP again about a restricted handgun, like my Glock 32 with a Canadian barrel and 10 round clip, so unless you are going to a shooting match or historical re-enactment, you can not bring it into Canada. Guess it will be a rifle or shotgun.
Unread 09-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #191
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I checked with the CMP again about a restricted handgun, like my Glock 32 with a Canadian barrel and 10 round clip, so unless you are going to a shooting match or historical re-enactment, you can not bring it into Canada. Guess it will be a rifle or shotgun.
Yeah it's unfortunate. My buddy and I really wanted to bring our 1911's with us, but after researching it (like you did) we came to the same conclusion - no hand guns in Canada (Alaska was ok). So we brought an H&R Pardner 12 gauge with an 18.5" barrel loaded with 3" Dixie IXL-DGS shells (last one on link below).

http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html

So this next trip along with the 12 gauge we'll also be bringing my new Marlin 45-70 lever action Guide Gun. And bear spray.

We'll get a box of Garrett bear rounds for the guide gun (interesting website reading too):

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/4570540tech.html

How's your custom trailer project coming coops2k?
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #192
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Yeah it's unfortunate. My buddy and I really wanted to bring our 1911's with us, but after researching it (like you did) we came to the same conclusion - no hand guns in Canada (Alaska was ok). So we brought an H&R Pardner 12 gauge with an 18.5" barrel loaded with 3" Dixie IXL-DGS shells (last one on link below).

http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html

So this next trip along with the 12 gauge we'll also be bringing my new Marlin 45-70 lever action Guide Gun. And bear spray.

We'll get a box of Garrett bear rounds for the guide gun (interesting website reading too):

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/4570540tech.html

How's your custom trailer project coming coops2k?
I have the idea for the trailer and a couple friends said they would help build it out of square pipe, so unless they back out, no HF trailer at this time. Right now I am adding a 2.5 lift, air tank & pump and s-pod light switch.
Unread 09-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #193
Arcticcat
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I used to lived in Alaska and I had cross that border over 20 times in my lifetime. While I'm not an expert, a prohibited weapon does not necessarily mean a firearm and the mere fact that you are allowed to have a firearm in transit, does not mean that you are allowed in any way shape or form to have that weapon loaded. Transit mean just that going back and forth. Here is a list of weapons that prohibited in Canada and at the bottom there is a link
Good Luck in your travels.

Prohibited Weapons and Devices
If you are a visitor to Canada or a resident of Canada, you cannot import prohibited weapons or devices.
The following weapons are prohibited from entering Canada:
• automatic knives such as switchblades;
• centrifugal knives such as flick knives or butterfly knives;
• gravity knives;
• mace or pepper spray designed for use on humans;
• nunchaku sticks;
• shuriken (throwing stars);
• manrikigusari or kusari (fighting chains);
• finger rings with blades or other sharp objects projecting from the surface;
• Taser and stun guns shorter than 480 mm;
• crossbows designed for one-handed use;
• crossbows 500 mm or shorter;
• Constant Companion (belt-buckle knife);
• push daggers;
• devices shorter than 30 cm concealing a knife blade (e.g. knife-comb);
• spiked wristbands;
• blowguns;
• Kiyoga or Steel Cobra batons (spring batons);
• spring-loaded rigid batons (triggered by a button or lever);
• morning stars; and
• brass knuckles.
The following devices are prohibited from entering Canada:
• silencers or devices designed to muffle or stop the sound of a firearm;
• certain cartridge magazines above a given capacity. Generally, cartridge magazines are limited to 5 rounds for centre-fire, semi-automatic rifles or shotguns and 10 rounds for semiautomatic handguns, with exemptions for certain magazines;
• bullpup stocks;
• replica firearms (see additional information on replica firearms below); and
• devices prohibited by regulations.
Replica firearms (prohibited devices)
Replica firearms:
• are designed or intended to exactly resemble a firearm with near precision;
• are not reproductions of antique firearms; and
• may include airsoft or blank guns.
Replica firearms are classified as prohibited devices. Individuals cannot import them into Canada.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...-eng.html#P002
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #194
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, here is what I got from CRMP, the problem I see with bring a handgun through Canada is in bold. My plan was to bring my Glock 32 with a 105mm barrel and 2-10 round clips, but how do I get around the bold part?

In the case of a restricted firearm (a handgun that is not prohibited - more information about Canadian firearm classifications is available at http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/index-eng.htm#a3), a valid purpose must be declared for bringing the firearm into Canada (attending an international shooting competition or historical re-enactment, etc.). Possessing a firearm for personal protection is generally NOT accepted as a valid reason for bringing a restricted firearm into Canada, even when traveling through to or from Alaska. If an acceptable purpose cannot be provided, then the restricted firearm cannot be brought into Canada. To confirm whether your purpose will be accepted as valid, please call 1-800-731-4000 and ask to speak to the Chief Firearms Office for the province into which you will enter Canada. An Authorization to Transport the firearm must also be obtained. Please call 1-800-731-4000 for more information on that process, which must be done in advance.
Unread 09-26-2013, 01:32 AM   #195
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks, here is what I got from CRMP, the problem I see with bring a handgun through Canada is in bold. My plan was to bring my Glock 32 with a 105mm barrel and 2-10 round clips, but how do I get around the bold part?

In the case of a restricted firearm (a handgun that is not prohibited - more information about Canadian firearm classifications is available at http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/index-eng.htm#a3), a valid purpose must be declared for bringing the firearm into Canada (attending an international shooting competition or historical re-enactment, etc.). Possessing a firearm for personal protection is generally NOT accepted as a valid reason for bringing a restricted firearm into Canada, even when traveling through to or from Alaska. If an acceptable purpose cannot be provided, then the restricted firearm cannot be brought into Canada. To confirm whether your purpose will be accepted as valid, please call 1-800-731-4000 and ask to speak to the Chief Firearms Office for the province into which you will enter Canada. An Authorization to Transport the firearm must also be obtained. Please call 1-800-731-4000 for more information on that process, which must be done in advance.
When I was getting ready to go, I read what you read and came to the conclusion we would not be bringing handguns with us; hence the long guns (shotgun). You're just going to have to face the fact you won't be able to bring a handgun through Canada. But now you've got a good excuse to buy a new shotgun or rifle!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.