Alaska/Canada Jeep Adventure - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Alaska Jeep Forum > Alaska/Canada Jeep Adventure

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #166
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
That price is not bad, but I am thinking you would need to go and get it, or could it be shipped.

The one advantage with the cooler, is that it could be used a lot more offer
You're correct - you would have to go get it or have it shipped (I didn't talk to him about shipping). That would add to the cost. Or... Road Trip!

And yeah; with the Yeti coolers you could use them more often. I'm just thinking about finishing a trailer and going to Alaska. If I really wanted to bear-proof all my stuff that would be of interest to a bear (food, cooking utensils/stove/cooler/etc.) it would take at least two of those very large Yeti coolers. I don't even think they would fit in my trailer (maybe stacked on top of each other). It wouldn't leave much room for anything else. And for what they would cost for two coolers, I might as well have a box built and bolt it to my trailer frame - I know what all will fit in my trailer now (coolers, food, camping gear, etc.).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...l#post14238564

This aluminum bear box thing is just one option of many we have with building these little Adventure Trailers. I just like tossing out ideas and seeing what interest it gets. Maybe someone will read it and go "That's exactly what I want to do!", or it will spark their own idea and they'll take it and run with it.

armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #167
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Something else for my next Alaska/Canada adventure (and speaking of bears): A Marlin 1895 GBL 45-70 lever action rifle.
rifle-trailer-suspension-003.jpg  
Unread 01-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #168
MTNGIRL1
1998 ZJ 

Beautiful Marlin perfect brush gun for Browns and Blacks. Good luck on your journey.
MTNGIRL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:48 AM   #169
KickboxingSloth
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Man hope me and my Dad can replicate this journey! He just needs to be able to take the time off.
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #170
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickboxingSloth View Post
Man hope me and my Dad can replicate this journey! He just needs to be able to take the time off.
I hope you can too. You'd have a blast.

In the mean time, buy yourselves the Milepost book and start planning!
Unread 01-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #171
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

I like the rifle
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #172
odss91b
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I live in middle TN, just got done reading the whole thread last night. What an awesome trip! Great write up. I told the wife about it and she got excited. She started talking about taking the yj up the east coast and all the way down. We would love to go to Alaska as well but it would take a week just driving to the border. And on a teachers salary we would have to plan way in advance. Oh by the way I am an Army veteran and went to Desert Storm with 3AD.
odss91b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #173
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by odss91b View Post
I live in middle TN, just got done reading the whole thread last night. What an awesome trip! Great write up. I told the wife about it and she got excited. She started talking about taking the yj up the east coast and all the way down. We would love to go to Alaska as well but it would take a week just driving to the border. And on a teachers salary we would have to plan way in advance. Oh by the way I am an Army veteran and went to Desert Storm with 3AD.
Glad you enjoyed it!

We're planning our next Alaska/Canada adventure sometime May/June 2014. Start planning now to join us. It's all logistics. Can you have the Jeep shipped out to Seattle, and then fly out and take it from there? You might have to get creative. Got a kid that needs something to do/something to earn their keep (like drive it out there so it's waiting for you)?

Start building a trailer if you don't have one already, and get yourselves a Milepost book and start reading. Part of the fun (for us anyway) was the prep and researching for the trip.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #174
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Along with Paul, I have a group planning a trip around the same time, starting The first/second week in June in Banff. We are hoping to meet up someplace along the way.

This thread has a way of making you want to follow in Paul's footsteps, he did a great job of pictures and information.
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #175
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome trip!
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #176
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
Along with Paul, I have a group planning a trip around the same time, starting The first/second week in June in Banff. We are hoping to meet up someplace along the way.

This thread has a way of making you want to follow in Paul's footsteps, he did a great job of pictures and information.
Thanks for the compliment! I'm hoping you (and others) will start a thread documenting your Alaska trip with pictures and lots of text (be sure and post a link to it on this one!). We'll probably start a new thread when we go in 2014.

I'm hoping we can meet up; as it gets closer to our trips we'll have to compare our itineraries to see where our paths will cross.

And even though we're planning on taking the truck this next time, we're still tweaking the trailer for more adventures. I'd like to do a classic Jeep run after this next one (take my 46 Willys CJ2A and trailer). Probably 2016. Might still have someone drive the truck as a chase vehicle.
Unread 05-04-2013, 03:20 AM   #177
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

In an earlier post I said if I wasn't in Afghanistan in May 2014 the plan was to go back to Alaska then. Well it's May 2013 and I currently AM in Afghanistan, so I shouldn't be here this time next year, which means we're planning for Alaska in May 2014.

I'll be home in the fall, so plenty of time to finish getting the truck ready for Alaska. Before coming to Afghanistan my buddy and I pulled the mounts and brackets for a dual battery set-up from a diesel Dodge Ram to put into my truck (1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4), and we pulled a roof rack off a Dodge Minivan for the truck's topper (all sitting at home waiting to be mounted). I've already ordered the rims and slightly larger tires for the truck (they'll be waiting for me when I get home), and before coming to Afghanistan I talked to a shop about changing the gears from 3.55 to 4.10 and a true-trac up front (to match the rear) to be done when I get home. The truck got a tuner (Hemifever) to optimize performance, and I swapped out the slightly warped OE front rotors for some drilled/slotted rotors. We'll have the truck ready for Alaska come May next year.

So barring any higher priority events (kids weddings), we're planning on going to Alaska & Canada during the May/June timeframe 2014. It will be a three week trip starting and ending in Bellingham, WA; usually the ferry leaves on a Friday and we will get off at Haines, AK. We'll be driving back through Canada and leaving Canada through Vancouver at the end of the three weeks ending back in Bellingham, WA.

If you want to join us, or are even remotely considering it, let me know and start planning now; it's only a year away. And if you're thinking of building a trailer for the trip, start the trailer project now. Start rounding up your camping gear you still need (there's some I want to still get, like the propane shower) and such so you can spread the cost out over the next year. Ask for specific camping gear for Christmas! Vehicle requirements are minimal, but include things like all four tires in good condition (if you need new tires, get them before the trip; this isn't the time to try and squeeze a few more miles out of your current set), full size matching spare in good condition (no temporary spares), tow points front and rear (a factory tow hook up front and a rear 2" receiver is adequate), CB radio, fire extinguisher, and sound mechanical condition. If anything is questionable (like hoses or belts) get them changed before the trip so you can do it at your convenience and where parts are readily available. Auto parts stores are few and far between in the Alaska/Canada wilderness. Battery on it's last leg? Get a new one before we head out. Got a small mysterious coolant leak? Figure it out and fix it before even leaving home. Belt squealing? Change it (and check the tensioner too).

Trailers (4-6' utility/expedition type trailers only, not big camper-type trailers) in good condition, and you'll need a matching spare tire (and preferably bring an extra hub with bearings - they're not that expensive).

I'm looking forward to getting back to Alaska! I want it to be fun. Let me know if you have any questions.

coops2k - how are your trip plans to Alaska coming along?
Unread 05-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #178
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Trip plan is going good, I have the first part planned, just the question of going up to Deadhorse or not? One of the friends that planned to go, might need to back out because of his business. He is one of the key players, so not sure how it will continue if he doesn't go.

Might just end up joining you on the way up and then maybe very the plan a little after that, so that my sister & brother-in-law can join me for part of it and then maybe my girlfriend for another part of it.

Or I might do the trip and then see who can join me, where ever they can.

I have purchased a new 2013 JKU Rubicon, and that it running great and so that part is right on track
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #179
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.milepost.com/resources/pa...eage_map_3.pdf
http://www.milepost.com/resources/pa...eage_map_2.pdf
http://www.milepost.com/resources/pa...eage_map_1.pdf

Our plan is to start and end from Bellingham, WA. We plan on being "outside the wire" for three weeks (includes the three days on the ferry) Bellingham to Bellingham. The ferry leaves Bellingham, WA for Haines, AK once every two weeks on a Friday. This is a pretty fast paced tour, but even then, please understand we can't possibly see everything in three weeks; some things we're just going to have to totally bypass/skip (an excuse for another trip!). I can't please everyone. We're skipping the whole Denali and Fairbanks area, and not attempting the Dalton Highway (taking the Dempster Highway later in the trip). So here's the tentative route (you can follow along on the above maps - you might want to print them off). We'll be crossing the Alaska/Canada border a couple of times during this trip. You will need a passport, and the paperwork for any rifles/shotguns you're bringing (no handguns - Canada law; not mine). Figure we'll be camping every night at primitive campgrounds (rarely running water, pit toilets, etc.). I'll be putting out specifics as we get closer to any who are interested in joining us.

Ferry to Haines, AK
Haines Highway
Tok
Tok Cutoff
Glenn Highway
Anchorage (spend two nights)
Seward Highway
Sterling Highway
Seward (small spur down and back)
Sterling Highway
Homer
(start backtracking north)
Parks Highway
Denali Highway
Delta Junction
Alaska Highway
Taylor Highway
Chicken
Dawson
Dempster Highway (all the way up to Inuvik and back down - about 900 miles round trip; about three days right there)
Klondike Loop
Carmachs
Campbell Highway
Watson Lake
Dease Lake
Cassiar Highway
Yellowhead Highway
Prince George
West Access Route
Vancouver, Canada
Bellingham, WA

Depending on how we're doing time-wise as the trip progresses will determine what little spur trips we can take (or have to skip), or if we can spend a day in a town vs. having to just blow through and keep going. My goal will be to keep us "on track" time and mileage-wise (and still have fun). Figure most days we'll be packing up and moving on (wheels turning 0900). I will be of the mindset "We've got places to go and things to see and do, so let's go". If you're one of those "time challenged" type of folks, or have to spend a couple hours (or days) exploring everytime we stop for gas you might find yourself left behind.

If you read this thread from the beginning, the last time we went the roads past Watson Lake were washed out (actually washed out before Watson Lake too) so we had to backtrack to Haines, AK and catch the ferry back ($$$). I had to extend my military leave because of it. I'm pointing this out because there are no guarantees roads will be open all the time. This is an "at your own risk" type of trip. There's always the possiblity of roads being washed out or "something" happening that kills our itinerary or timeline. Keep in the back of your mind we will be in wilderness areas a lot of the time, sometimes hundreds of miles from services. Just saying... (it's part of the adventure!) That's why it is important to always have food/gear/gas on hand. That's why having a little trailer comes in handy. Grocery stores might be a few days apart.
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #180
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Am I scaring people? I'm not trying to.

The first time we went to Alaska (the start of this thread) all we knew was we had "X" amount of time before I had to be back, and we had the Milepost book. We made an itinerary, mapped it out, booked the ferry ride for the trip up to our jump-off point, got the Jeep and gear packed, and then went for it. We saw and did a lot, and stayed on schedule until we came to the washed out roads and had to backtrack to Haines. And even then, we really enjoyed the couple of days were were "stuck" in Haines till the ferry arrived to bring us back to WA.

We never felt rushed because we knew there was still a lot we wanted to see and do. We had a blast. But a trip like this doesn't just happen; you need to plan it; schedule it; make it a priority. That's what we did. The above posted itinerary is one possible option of many (thousands) depending on how much time you have and what is a priority for you to see and do if you decide to go to Alaska and Canada. We planned ours months out, and we're currently working on our plans for May 2014. We've got vehicle mods to get done, new camping gear to purchase (I'm digging that propane shower thing), etc.

Hopefully if you've read this thread all the way through to here, it's given you some ideas to make your adventure a reality. Make it happen! Start planning now. If you realize you need a little trailer for your trip - get to building it (if you need help let me know). If you don't have a Milepost book go buy one.

What can I do to help you make your Alaska/Canada Adventure Trip a reality?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.