Alaska/Canada Jeep Adventure - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Alaska Jeep Forum > Alaska/Canada Jeep Adventure

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #151
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
My GF's parents have this one, and we usually camp with them or on their land several times a year and use it. Instead of an electric pump, you pressurize the cylinder with a hand pump on top. Takes the electricity out of the equation.

http://www.campingshowerworld.com/zo...ot-shower.html
We may have a winner here (if this was a contest). Use it anywhere and no batteries! No having to be connected to a vehicle with the engine running. I'm liking it! This might be the one.

Thanks for the link.

Having one connected to the vehicle might be practical if space is an issue and being clean is a priority (i.e. you're bringing your wife/girlfriend, you're in a TJ and space is limited).

There's something about being able to start the day off with a hot (I'll settle for warm) shower.

armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #152
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome. Not sure if I posted in your thread yet, but I know I read it earlier and enjoyed the trip.

I also have one of these:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...A&merchID=4006

and one of these:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...e&merchID=4005

Makes "roughing it" pretty tolerable. Shower on one side, toilet on the other. We love camping, and I'd like to blame the need for a shower on my GF, but I'm the one that wants the hot shower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #153
Richard338
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Great - now I'm googling camping showers. My wife just said "you've been on the computer for a while now". I guess it's more fun than doing what I'm supposed to be doing. It sure would have been nice to have some way to take a shower when in Alaska and Canada.

Anyways, thanks for the link for the Coleman shower unit. I like the idea of it not having to be dedicated to a specific vehicle. It got me thinking about other propane heated camping showers. I found this one for around $169.00:

http://www.zodi.com/Consumer/zodihot...velshower.html

But the pump runs on four D-cell batteries. I sent them a question asking if there is an option to run off a car's 12-volt cig-lighter.

There's even a website called "Camping Shower World" http://www.campingshowerworld.com/ that has a ton of camping shower options. I think I see showers in my future for my next Alaska/Canada adventure. Thanks Richard338 for steering me towards the propane shower option! Looks like we've got quite a few options here. Too cool.
I've looked at several of the propane water heater options and they all have their advantages. What I like about the Coleman is it automatically lights and adjust temp. It also has the option of a pump for the 5 gallon bag or attach to a garden hose, use small cans or regular 20lb tank. the spout and controls work really well for kitchen duty as you can turn water flow on and off with the temp knob. I also like the looks of this one, but it doesn't look as versatile. http://www.eccotemp.com/eccotemp-l5-...-water-heater/ Might have to hard mount it to something. Lots of options, these are only 2... Just depends if you just want it for showers or other things too
Richard338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #154
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Welcome. Not sure if I posted in your thread yet, but I know I read it earlier and enjoyed the trip.

I also have one of these:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...A&merchID=4006

and one of these:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...e&merchID=4005

Makes "roughing it" pretty tolerable. Shower on one side, toilet on the other. We love camping, and I'd like to blame the need for a shower on my GF, but I'm the one that wants the hot shower.
Thanks - we had a blast and we're looking forward to going back up there (hopefully May/June 2014). And all these folks posting on this thread are giving me (and hopefully others) great ideas on making our next trip even more enjoyable - thanks guys! Sometimes it's the little things that really make a difference with camping.

I was looking at the Zodi one that was linked to earlier, and they also have package deals with the hand-pump shower and an enclosure. That might be the route we take. Definitely an enclosure would make taking a shower while camping more practical (and not scare women and children at the sight of me taking a shower).

http://www.campingshowerworld.com/pr...ower-kits.html

We never had a problem finding latrines - but of course we always found a campground to camp at. But showers were a totally different situation. Near the end there even I wasn't liking being around me. When we finally were able to take one in Haines AK (combo laundrymat/fee shower) before getting on the ferry to return home it was amazing how refreshing it made us feel.
Unread 12-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #155
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

great info about showers, "The Milepost" seems to give a lot of places with showers along the "Alaska Highway", so is it just up in the interior of Alaska that showers are hard to find?

Also, I was reading this about Bear food storage, it is from Yosemite National Park, but think it would be the same for Alaska????
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bears.htm

ArmyRN, did you guys do anything special for food storage during the trip?
NMBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #156
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
great info about showers, "The Milepost" seems to give a lot of places with showers along the "Alaska Highway", so is it just up in the interior of Alaska that showers are hard to find?

Also, I was reading this about Bear food storage, it is from Yosemite National Park, but think it would be the same for Alaska????
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bears.htm

ArmyRN, did you guys do anything special for food storage during the trip?
We found the one place in Haines that was a combo laundrymat and coin operated shower. I didn't think to look in the Milepost for places to take a shower that wasn't at a motel, campground, or something like that. The Alaska Highway might be more heavily traveled compared to some of the routes we took (so maybe more showers?). We just went without showers for long stretches.

Cool article about bears - thanks for the link!

Keith and I talked about getting a bear box, but we never followed through with it (we were bad). In that respect we were unprepared; fortunately we never had an issue with bears when camping - maybe we were just lucky. I have some links (somewhere - I'll have to hunt for them) of places that make some larger bear boxes. Some places sell what they call bear boxes, but they hold about a gallon's worth of stuff and are more geared for backpackers. I needed crates - we used Rubbermaid Action Packers (totally not bear proof). Figure you're going to spend hundreds of dollars for large bear boxes (about the size of a very large camping cooler/ice-chest). Some actually are large ice-chests that they also advertise as being "bear proof". They are big and bulky (but I'm sure are more than adequate). We just didn't have the room for one or two of those with just the Jeep and little trailer.

It seems like if you're going to go the bear box route, it's all or nothing. All includes food, cooking ware (dishes, pots/pans/utensils/etc.), stove, soap, deodorant, toothpaste, candy, drinks, etc. It won't do any good to just put some of your stuff in a bear box. We just kinda did the "nothing" route and hoped for the best (as I'm reading this I'm thinking "we weren't very smart, were we"). But we didn't really venture off the beaten path (maybe next time).
Unread 12-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #157
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Good to know, we plan to stay mostly on main roads and camp grounds. Big thing I got from the article for this trip is the wrappers left under the seat, etc and have food during a hike.

I was thinking that only the meats, fish, cheese, eggs, etc need to be bear proof, did not know it would be everything, even beers and soft drinks. I plan to get a Yeti cooler and some bear containers. My friends and I have talked about putting most stuff away from the tents at night, just encase. One guy thought about putting stuff in the truck, until he read the article. Putting everything in bear containers or a bear box would take up a lot more room, room I don't think we have?

Question, thinking out loud, have the bears in Yosemite become more use to people and trained over the years of the free food? Maybe one reason you didn't see them in Alaska?

So do you bear proof what you can? Or does it need to be everything?
Unread 12-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #158
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe just hang a bear bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #159
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe just hang a bear bag?
Thanks. Forgot about those

http://www.bearsmart.com/becoming-be...g-food-garbage
Some things are very $$$$$
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #160
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check this out: http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/htmlpu...2325/index.htm

Might be a low-buck way to make a bear box using military surplus boxes.

Another option (but a little spendy - but not so much after looking at what metal bear boxes cost) would be to have someone fabricate a bear box to mount on a little 4' trailer frame. Think about it - a bear box 40" x 48" x 22" tall with a lid another 6 - 8" tall. You wouldn't have to separate food items from camping gear - it could all go into the same "box".

Options:

1. Google "metal bear box" or "aluminum bear box"; you'll get a lot of hits. Contact the ones close to where you live and see what you can work out. If they can fashion it to look like a military trailer (i.e. M416) even better!

i.e.: http://madcowmetalworks.com/

2. Does anyone near you make dog boxes (like for putting in the back of a pick-up for hunting dogs)? If you google "truck dog boxes" or some variation you'll get plenty of hits. They're used to making boxes; see if they can build a box that's bear proof to mount on your 4' trailer frame. They're also used to making boxes similar to a military type M416 trailer.

i.e.: http://www.dogsunlimited.com/i/2942/...ge-dog-box.htm

3. Anybody near you make aluminum truck tool boxes? Just like the above suggestions.

Do a little research and find out what qualifies a box to be bear-proof rated so you'll know what you're talking about if having a box built.

I'd actually like to extend my 4' trailer to 5' and do something like this (have a bear box-type box made for the trailer frame). It would sure make accessing the items in the trailer a lot easier. Right now I'm working on getting my truck ready for my next Alaska adventure, but if I take the trailer on an adventure later on I'd like to not have to deal with ropes and straps and such like we did last time. It would be nice to have a metal box with a hinge on one side and struts to keep a lid open (like my truck's aluminum truck tool box).
Unread 12-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #161
CoRubicon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.knaack.com/jobsite_storage_equipment/
CoRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #162
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

A lot of great ideas and information.

A question I will ask, how heavy are we making the trailer and what cost ?
Maybe 200 lbs, but another $400-800? for one of the smaller box.
I would think a 4 x 4 x 2 or 4 x 5 x 2 bear box, I think would add a lot more weight and I would think a lot more cost.

We started with a small, simple, light weight trailer that would be easy to tow behind a Jeep, how much do we want to change that?

But this has opened my mind and not sure what i will do now.
Unread 12-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #163
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
A lot of great ideas and information.

A question I will ask, how heavy are we making the trailer and what cost ?
Maybe 200 lbs, but another $400-800? for one of the smaller box.
I would think a 4 x 4 x 2 or 4 x 5 x 2 bear box, I think would add a lot more weight and I would think a lot more cost.

We started with a small, simple, light weight trailer that would be easy to tow behind a Jeep, how much do we want to change that?

But this has opened my mind and not sure what i will do now.
I'm glad all this has got you thinking; I'm sure you're not the only one. It's got me thinking too about options.

I've been emailing the gentleman from Madcow from the post above http://madcowmetalworks.com/ about what it would cost to make a 41x48x28" tall aluminum bear box. I'm thinking the aluminum wouldn't weigh that much (especially compared to the ones some folks are making out of lumber and plywood - might even come out lighter). I'm curious to see what sort of numbers he comes up with. I know those Jobsite boxes are very heavy. Great at a construction site or to carry in the back of your 3/4 ton truck though.

Definitely an aluminum bear box built to fit one of our little trailers would be a little on the pricey side, but when you factor in what you would pay for lumber and such for making a box on your trailer, and what a couple of those Yeti boxes would cost http://store.yeticoolers.com/yeti-tundra-series/ or a metal bear box or two, it might (might) not come out so bad. I've looked at those Yeti boxes before (at Cabella's). They are nice and sturdy, but they take up a lot of space in relation to how much they can hold.

For comparison's sake, a reproduction military M-416 trailer tub costs around $950, and while it's 72" long (41" wide at the base), it's also only 18" tall and has no lid. It's also made of steel.

And you don't have to go the bear box route if you don't want to - we didn't and we were fine. But if you want to add another level of security, you can go from mild (one bear box) to making your whole trailer essentially one big bear box. And if you had a big (41x48x28) box built, it would kill two birds with one stone (finishing off your trailer [just add fenders] and have a large bear box all in one). I also asked him for a price on a 41x60x28" box - because if I'm going to spend money to have a bear box built, I'm extending my trailer frame to 60" (or 62").

Now in emailing with the Madcow gentleman above, he said if he were to make an aluminum bear box, it would be built to his regular bear box specs. However, since this size hasn't been "bear tested" (however they certify them) it wouldn't be a "certified bear proof" box if that makes sense. But he's just one maker of aluminum bear boxes I've contacted - there are others (not saying another builder would tell you anything different).

This is fun.
Unread 12-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #164
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I got a response from madcowmetalworks. Here's a copy of his response:

Hello Paul,

Just getting back with you on some pricing.

These Boxes are L x W x H = 41 x 48 x 28 $825

L x W x H = 41 X 60 x 28 $ 950

These Boxes include Full Length Stainless Steel Hinge, Two Stainless Latches, Handles

and a Bear Bar welded inside Box, makes Box very stiff and solid.

Thank you for looking into Mad Cow Metal Works and let me know if I can help in any way.

Have great day.

M. Todd Maynard

Mad Cow Metal Works

http://madcowmetalworks.com/

So $825 for a full-size aluminum box for a 4' trailer, and $950 for a 5' trailer box. Not the cheapest, but you could easily spend $800 for two Yeti coolers or two smaller bear boxes.

Expensive maybe if you're just wanting to finish off a trailer - reasonable if you're wanting to finish off a trailer and have it bear proof. When I was talking to a company that makes trailers, having an M416 type trailer tub and lid made for my trailer's frame was going to cost around $2000 if I remember right (I'll have to find that email thread). Buy the box, bolt your fenders to the side and call it done.

Unread 12-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #165
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

That price is not bad, but I am thinking you would need to go and get it, or could it be shipped.

The one advantage with the cooler, is that it could be used a lot more offer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.