Alaska bound, what am I getting into? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Alaska Jeep Forum > Alaska bound, what am I getting into?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 03-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
sang_route
1973 J-Series Truck 

Alaska bound, what am I getting into?

thought I could get a couple of guys to give some basic information bout southern Ak. Gona be heading up soon as I get a green for my new job and my only experience with the state is one detoured flight for refueling and whats on tv. don't want to be under or over prepared, and live in the Washington cascades.

88 and 95 XJ, 1973 J4000
sang_route is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
zjzach
1993 ZJ 

which town? ive been all over the state fighting forrest fires, and a bunch more places working on a commercial fishing boat. anywhere southeast rains a lot. what kinda job do you do thats taking you up there?
Unread 03-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
sang_route
1973 J-Series Truck 

Once I finish pulling teeth with the State hiring agency I'm soposto become a diesel mechanic for AK RR, and they want to train me to operate them as an engineer. So I will be floating around and between the major rail hubs till I get some seniority.

88 and 95 XJ, 1973 J4000
sang_route is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 05:16 AM   #4
zjzach
1993 ZJ 

cool stuff, well summers are similar to here, winters just depend which part of the state your in.

if you got good rain gear/rubber boots, plus regular outdoor clothes, carhartts etc, and a good pair of thermals/long johns you'll be fine.
Unread 04-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
AlaskaLogan

Hey bro, I am here in AK now. I live in the Eagle River (15 miles north of Anchorage) area. It is awesome. Don't worry about it, I use to live on the east coast and the west coast. Moving here was great. From Halloween to mid April (give or take a few weeks) we have snow. It is dry so you don't feel the cold. I walk outside in subzero temps in shorts and t-shirt and as long as the wind is not blowing you are good for a few minutes.

Best thing to learn to do is dress for the weather in layers. Non cotton. Base layer, warm layer, water proof layer (like gortex). When do you get to AK? What part?
AlaskaLogan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Fomocofan302

Thought I'd jump in to ask a similar question: Like the OP, I'm coming from WA, spending next winter in Fairbanks. Anything I should know ahead of time? Bring with me? Already picking up a block heater, some other odds and ends. Anything that's a must have up there? Particularly worried about handling the sub-zero temps..
Blue Jeep Club member #184
'97 TJ
4" Procomp 33" BFG A/T's...
Fomocofan302 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Arcticcat
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomocofan302 View Post
Thought I'd jump in to ask a similar question: Like the OP, I'm coming from WA, spending next winter in Fairbanks. Anything I should know ahead of time? Bring with me? Already picking up a block heater, some other odds and ends. Anything that's a must have up there? Particularly worried about handling the sub-zero temps..
Hey buddy, I used to live Fairbanks, We called it Squarebanks for over 13 years and I have travelled throught out the state. I'm retired so I drive there often (since 86 done the Alcan back and forth 10 times (that is 20 one way trip) and my most recent trip was last August.

Here is a check list that I recomend:

Block heather is one.

You may need to upgrade your thermostat to high temperature one

Battery blanket.

If you are driving that jeep on a daily basis in the winter, they are a little light in the rear so you may want to put a couple of sandbags in the rear.

Unlike front Wheel drive car that have electric operated fan, your Jeep fan will run continously, meaning that your engine may not warm up very well during very cold days. You may want to purchased a radiator cover or do like some people and place a piece of cardboard in the front.

I personally prefer skinny tires in the winter as they may do better during the winter months.

Soft top during the winter, NO, NO

During very cold days try not to take sharp turn as your CV boots may break easily.

If they do break replace them before "break up" other wise slush and dirt will get to your joints and you will need to replace them.

I personally kept a piece of Cyclone fence inside my car to help me get traction.

Bring a fishing pole, get fishing license and fish and fish and fish and keep track of time in the summer as you may already know the sun doesn't really set and is easy to loose track of time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.