zephyr80 needs some help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > zephyr80 needs some help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
zephyr80
2000 WJ 

zephyr80 needs some help

So for 2 days in a row... after work when its 90+. i drive for about 8 miles and then the jeep feels like the transmission slips out of gear. And it dies. Yesterday this happened and after sitting for 5 minutes it started back up. I drove it the rest of the 25 miles home and probably 5 more around town. Not today. No cel or codes were thrown. I had the battery and alternator checked and turns out the battery was bad. But then it died again today.

_conv_2013-07-09-16.06.36.jpg

She looks really sad there on the side of the freeway.

Sent from your back seat!!!

zephyr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

Does it try to start? Turns over just no start? Who said battery was dead? A bad battery will not shut your car down while its driving.. Your alternator or bad connection will
Unread 07-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
zephyr80
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopdc78 View Post
Does it try to start? Turns over just no start? Who said battery was dead? A bad battery will not shut your car down while its driving.. Your alternator or bad connection will
Yes it turns over steady and strong, just does not start

Unread 07-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

Could be a few things.. Can your hear your fuel pump when you turn key on.. It could be on way out.
Unread 07-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
zephyr80
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Could be a few things.. Can your hear your fuel pump when you turn key on.. It could be on way out.
I haven't been able to have an assistant help me on that, i can't hear it by myself ( im looking through the Haynes manual at the moment) when i went outside to try this, my jeep started up. It has been sitting in the shade for no more than 5 minutes. this also happened yesterday. I broke down in the shade. Is there something heat related that could be the issue? tow truck guy asked if it vapor locked? what is that?

Unread 07-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
zephyr80
2000 WJ 

I then let the jeep run to listen to the fuel injectors and it died again after 5 minutes of idling

Unread 07-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
tkcarp01
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr80
I then let the jeep run to listen to the fuel injectors and it died again after 5 minutes of idling

Taking a stab in the dark here, and a little left field...
Could there be something in your tank? Would make sense... Clogs the fuel pickup, sets for a few and settles back to the bottom... Them runs for a few and picks it back up...
I'd also check the fuel filter. Seems like it would have to be fuel related...
tkcarp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

Hmmm.. Well what engine and year ? After it dies pull one of the coil packs that are on the plugs..or a wire and check for spark.. I have read some have problem with crank sensor...
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
zephyr80
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Hmmm.. Well what engine and year ? After it dies pull one of the coil packs that are on the plugs..or a wire and check for spark.. I have read some have problem with crank sensor...
2000 wj 4.7l

Unread 07-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

How many miles?

You're certain the batt connections are clean & tight?
A weak connection to the batt or weak batt will certainly cause it to stall at idle. The factory alt will not provide enough power to power all it needs (especialy once the alt has some age on it). Once the RPMs are up, the battery is not needed and is then being charged with surplus current.

I know this sounds odd but it's true. Verify it yourself if you still have the old 130 amp alt.

A new batt does not always mean that 1. the new battery is fully charged...2. that the connections from the battery to the body & engine are all clean & tight.

I do like the suggestion to change the fuel filter. It probably needs it by now if it's the original.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
zephyr80
2000 WJ 

131k, i replaced the battery terminals to the military style connectors a few weeks ago when i installed my winch. They are brand new and tight. I checked the connections to the alt and starter and they are tight.

I have been sitting in my jeep with it running for 15 minutes now and its running fine. But the temp is 64° right now. Im really leaning towards there being an issue with the fuel pump. as it its working just not at a high pressure that it needs to be? so when it gets hot it and the jeep runs at 190° running temp, the fuel vaporizes and i get vapor lock? am i wrong in assuming this?

Unread 07-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

OK, we can probably rule that out then.

In fuel injected engines, there's little to no chance of vapor lock. (Increasing pressure lowers boil point of liquids.)

Fuel pump is certainly possible but if it's a heat thing, the pump being in the tank actually acts as an aid to cooling. If there's more than a few gallons of fuel in the tank, heat buildup in the pump should not happen unless it's a serious (well over 100) day and even then, a good pump should still work fine with fuel low or not.

The pump mechanically failing and just not delivering pressure is possible. Fuel filter clog is possible too (& easier to swap).
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
zephyr80
2000 WJ 

I rented a fuel pressure gauge and the pressure is right at 52lbs which in the Haynes manual is right on. i tried calling the stealership to see if they could test both the crankshaft and cam shaft sensors and they said that with out the jeep throwing some code or it dying while it was in their hands they couldn't do anything about it. ?&(/!:%(#*&;%)#'&-&,: is about how i feel right now

Unread 07-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr80 View Post
I rented a fuel pressure gauge and the pressure is right at 52lbs which in the Haynes manual is right on. i tried calling the stealership to see if they could test both the crankshaft and cam shaft sensors and they said that with out the jeep throwing some code or it dying while it was in their hands they couldn't do anything about it. ?&(/!:%(#*&;%)#'&-&,: is about how i feel right now

Just be glad they couldn't charge you for the phone call. They would if they could. $50 diagnostic phone call.
Too bad we can't remote connect into engines like we can computers, but then we would have to worry about hackers.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Next time it dies, don't re-start it, immediately pull over & test the pressure then.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.