Wrong Oil? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wrong Oil?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 04-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wrong Oil?

I'm trying to help a friend and I don't know much about GC's.

He says he has a 2001 WJ, straight six, and it's an auto.

When the Jeep is running for awhile, he feels like the oil starts running thin(loses it's consistency).

What should I tell him to do or look at or possibly run a different type of oil?

Thanks guys.

Oh Crap! Handle- Standard Equipment

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
TedderX_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

What makes him "feel like the oil is thin"? That is the least concrete statement I've seen on here in a while. The engine in his WJ is identical to that in your Wrangler, so you know plenty.

If the motor maintains pressure at rate approximately 10psi per 1000rpm when warm, there's no need to change viscosity. 4.0s like a high-zinc oil which can be hard to find. Stick with 10W-30 viscosity and look for API "SL" rated oils. My personal favorite in my 4.0 is Mobil1 High Mileage 10W-30 which runs smoothly and yields good wear numbers with a 6000 mile oil change interval.

If he wants to really know what is going on with his oil, then get a used oil analysis from somewhere like Blackstone labs. They will analyze it for wear metals, coolant contamination, viscosity, and TBN remaining to determine if the oil and engine are in good condition.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

The recommended weight for the 4.0 is 10w30 and they run fantastic on it. I wonder if your friend could be running 5w30, I tried it once and drained it after a couple weeks. Engine was loud once it got warmed up and I didn't think ran as well either.

Like Bilzcat1 mentioned the 4.0's like the older additive packages. I am running Rotella 10w30, but anything in a high mileage forumula and not labeled "Resource Conserving" on the API donut is much more likely to be friendlier to the 4.0. Valvoline Max Life High Mileage is very common, not very expensive and has a great add pack for the 4.0, if you want synthetic the M1 HM bilzcat mentioned would be hard to beat.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

I'm gonna jump on the AMSOIL train and tell your friend to do that. They have a special formula for the 4.0 Josh runs it.
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.