Write up: WJ steering box re-seal and tap for hydro assist - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Write up: WJ steering box re-seal and tap for hydro assist

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 07-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #16
Turbozcs2003
2002 WJ 

Is this box out of one with 4.0?

are they all the same?

What fails in them, just start leaking? What mileage do they start having issues?

My 02 has the cooler and the hydraulic fan, I change the fluid in it yearly.

Turbozcs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #17
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

Great information here. Thanks for the write up. I was planning on doing my seals as well. This will be very helpful.
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #18
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
This is a great writeup! Very useful when diving into the steering boxes, just for making sure you keep everything straight

One thing I will make a note on, I do not believe that bearing belongs on the end of the worm shaft but fell into that position behind the nut when you twisted things too far and had a few bearings fall out. When I disassembled the one I just rebuilt it had a full 24 ball bearings within the worm drive, 12 silver and 12 black. At one point when I was reassembling I had a ball bearing fall within the housing and thought I lost it, it ended up nestled into the end of the worm shaft just like yours, but mine was silver. Considering the ball bearings follow a continuous loop, you need an equal amount of silver and black ball bearings to keep it alternating throughout. Somewhere within your worm drive loop you're missing a black ball bearing and have two silver bearings stacked together
Winner winner chicken dinner! I pulled another box apart last night being extra careful not sping the worm gear out. I pulled the cap off the end of the piston assembly and sure enough, there was no ball at the end. Looks like Ill be pulling my box back apart (good thing its not installed yet). Ive edited the post accordingly. Good looking out!
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #19
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbozcs2003 View Post
Is this box out of one with 4.0?

are they all the same?

What fails in them, just start leaking? What mileage do they start having issues?

My 02 has the cooler and the hydraulic fan, I change the fluid in it yearly.
yes, they are all the same. Usually they just start leaking, occasionally they need adjusted. No certain mileage that im aware of. My original box has 180k on it and I have had no issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.